2023-2024 Houston (Fertitta)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had a buddy who literally got an interview the day after submission, and people who submitted first day and got interviews later in the cycle. No way to tell
Houston II depends mostly on what is on your resume and whether your activities align with their mission of primary care.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone go to the cougarmed connect last week? What was it?

Did anyone go to the cougarmed connect last week? What was it?

It’s an open Q&A with faculty- I missed this weeks but I logged into the first one. The faculty answered every question we had, so it’s definitely worth signing into!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello friends. Current student here at UH. Had a very low LM score and super non-traditional, matched here this year. Currently finishing up my first semester here at UH and I have found that I love being in medical school (the first couple weeks were rough, but when I adjusted it's been the most amazing experience). Just wanted to pop in and give some people my story: I had my interview here quite last minute. They didn't even send me a secondary until October. I got an interview a couple weeks after they sent my secondary (it was the fastest secondary to II I had all cycle) and due to the holidays I wasn't able to interview until January. Then they canceled my initial interview date and I had to reschedule. I didn't have a single prematch offer, 4 Texas IIs and one out of state acceptance to another MD school. For those of you going through the process with stats similar to mine, keep your head up. There's a light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm also available to answer any questions about our school, but just an fyi I really like being at this school so my POV might be different than others (I personally like the mandatory attendance because it keeps me on track and I learn better in person than with videos, but I know some students hate it. I'm doing well academically in this school and I personally attribute it to physically being there.).

Reactions: 8 users
Hello friends. Current student here at UH. Had a very low LM score and super non-traditional, matched here this year. Currently finishing up my first semester here at UH and I have found that I love being in medical school (the first couple weeks were rough, but when I adjusted it's been the most amazing experience). Just wanted to pop in and give some people my story: I had my interview here quite last minute. They didn't even send me a secondary until October. I got an interview a couple weeks after they sent my secondary (it was the fastest secondary to II I had all cycle) and due to the holidays I wasn't able to interview until January. Then they canceled my initial interview date and I had to reschedule. I didn't have a single prematch offer, 4 Texas IIs and one out of state acceptance to another MD school. For those of you going through the process with stats similar to mine, keep your head up. There's a light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm also available to answer any questions about our school, but just an fyi I really like being at this school so my POV might be different than others (I personally like the mandatory attendance because it keeps me on track and I learn better in person than with videos, but I know some students hate it. I'm doing well academically in this school and I personally attribute it to physically being there.).
I prematched here, can I private message you?

Does anyone know how we could find out the Step 1 pass rate for UHCOM? I looked on the internet but can’t find anything

Does anyone know how we could find out the Step 1 pass rate for UHCOM? I looked on the internet but can’t find anything
I remember it being briefly mentioned during the interview orientation that it was 97% for the Class of 2024, but I may have imagined it.

We have only had one class so far take Step 1 because we take it after our third year. I asked around the school over the past couple days and no one around me seems to know what the actual first time pass rate it. I mentioned this to another person already, but I also want to emphasize that the one class who took step was a class of only 30 people and as of right now that's it.

Reactions: 2 users
We have only had one class so far take Step 1 because we take it after our third year. I asked around the school over the past couple days and no one around me seems to know what the actual first time pass rate it. I mentioned this to another person already, but I also want to emphasize that the one class who took step was a class of only 30 people and as of right now that's it.
Why are they waiting until end of 3rd year? They also need to take step II very quickly since it is needed for residency apps.

Why are they waiting until end of 3rd year? They also need to take step II very quickly since it is needed for residency apps.
I'm not 100% sure why they decided to do that. I think when we asked they said they found some evidence that people do better on step after doing their basic clinical rotations. And yes the turn around time to step 2 after step 1 is fast.

Can I pm anyone here for advice about their interview? I received an II scheduled for 11/30 and would love to hear from people who recently went through the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the prematch call!! Great news to share over thanksgiving dinner🥹

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
received my prematch call today! interviewed 11/07

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
For those of you who have pre-matched and received a call, do you know what the next steps are? How do we accept it or do we just wait till match day?

For those of you who have pre-matched and received a call, do you know what the next steps are? How do we accept it or do we just wait till match day?
I think we are supposed to get an email to have in writing that we prematched. I don’t think we have to do anything to accept besides rank them high on match day

They are doing it the same way Baylor does it I believe. Some studies show it makes for higher scores, but idk if that means much anymore given it's p/f.

They are doing it the same way Baylor does it I believe. Some studies show it makes for higher scores, but idk if that means much anymore given it's p/f.
There is some chance of burn out trying to study for two very stressful tests back to back. Anyone applying for Internal medicine for example has to have a step 2 score before applying by end of September.

Does anyone know if UH accepts pre-II update letters?

Anyone know how late they will be extending interviews?

Anyone know how late they will be extending interviews?
They said in the CougarMed Admissions Weekly Call that there’s one week left of interviews.

They didn’t specify if they were already scheduled, but it sounded like there’s only one more round upcoming.

Last edited:
IS II received today. Does anyone have any tips for interview?

IS II received today. Does anyone have any tips for interview?
You have a limited amount of time to answer, but remember to speak slowly and clearly. Focus on talking through your thought process bc that will give them insight into how you problem-solve. You'll do great! Remember, you belong there.

Dec 7 and another one in Dec. I didnt look that far. I just chose the first available date. I read somewhere that they offer 2 interview dates a month.

Dec 7 and another one in Dec. I didnt look that far. I just chose the first available date. I read somewhere that they offer 2 interview dates a month.
I’m sorry I meant 2 interviews a week. I only saw 2 interview sessions for Dec. Match is Feb 15 so I think they will be done with interviews in January. I honestly think I’m being interviewed for the waitlist.

I’m sorry I meant 2 interviews a week. I only saw 2 interview sessions for Dec. Match is Feb 15 so I think they will be done with interviews in January. I honestly think I’m being interviewed for the waitlist.
you're interviewing for the Match, @Voltage003
There's not a WL until after Match day under our TX system.
Hope your interview day goes well

UH asked me if I wanted to push back my interview to Dec 21. Will that make me run the risk of not getting a spot or be less competitive? Is it better to interview early so that I can potentially get a spot if they run out?

UH asked me if I wanted to push back my interview to Dec 21. Will that make me run the risk of not getting a spot or be less competitive? Is it better to interview early so that I can potentially get a spot if they run out?
They may have a problem filling your date with interviewers or something?
I don’t think it will affect you being fully considered

They may have a problem filling your date with interviewers or something?
I don’t think it will affect you being fully considered
The email said they put another interview date on the calendar.

“One additional interview date has been placed on our calendar. If you would like to move your interview date to Thursday, December 21, please contact our office and we will assist you.”

“One additional interview date has been placed on our calendar. If you would like to move your interview date to Thursday, December 21, please contact our office and we will assist you.”
It sounds more like they are offering you a convenience since they are giving you a date most people are not available (most programs dont interview during last 2 weeks).

My guess is that they are accommodating some students in school with exam overlaps.

It sounds more like they are offering you a convenience since they are giving you a date most people are not available (most programs dont interview during last 2 weeks).

My guess is that they are accommodating some students in school with exam overlaps.
I agree, reads like they are simply offering the date as an option since they will be opening it. Not necessarily requesting them to

Has anyone who interviewed 11/30 received any information for signing up for a campus tour?

Has anyone who interviewed 11/30 received any information for signing up for a campus tour?
I went to the CougarMed admissions call last week and I believe they said that more would be scheduled after Match Day.

I went to the CougarMed admissions call last week and I believe they said that more would be scheduled after Match Day.
That doesnt sound like a good recruitment tool if they are not ensuring anyone admitted takes a tour before match submit date.

• Haha
How long did it take your TMDSAS portal to update after your interview? I dont see the option to rank UH on my portal yet. My interview was yesterday. How long should I wait?

Do we know when they typically stop sending interview invites? Complete end of August and still waiting

Do we know when they typically stop sending interview invites? Complete end of August and still waiting
We can't really compare to last year when they sent their last interview invitations on February 2, when Match Day was in March that year.
Interviews will have to wrap up at the end of January to get ready for your ranking deadline Feb 2.
There's still time for those of you waiting, though.

We can't really compare to last year when they sent their last interview invitations on February 2, when Match Day was in March that year.
Interviews will have to wrap up at the end of January to get ready for your ranking deadline Feb 2.
There's still time for those of you waiting, though.
Thank you! I was checking the Houston portal and it does not look like they take update letters or LOI pre-II. Is that correct? Could I email it directly to admissions? Thank you for always being so helpful.