Zuku or VetPrep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bailey21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The deadline for the 3 extra free months of Zuku is soon approaching and I am not sure if I want to subscribe to that or to VetPrep. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I chose VetPrep for several reasons. The first is that on weekdays, there are free questions of the day from Zuku. The second is that all the graduating students that used VetPrep really liked it and thought it helped them pass. Having had it since the beginning of June, I really like it. Some of their questions are a little odd sometimes. I also didn't like that Zuku gets their information from Merck. I also like the amount of questions available in VetPrep - Zuku advertises 1500, VetPrep advertises 2450.

Most of the fourth years I talked to did vet prep and liked it. I decided to do vet prep and then do the vin NAVLE course which is based on zuku but is only $50 for students. This may be overkill but I think the fact that the course is structured and covers top diseases will help focus me. I like the set up of vet prep and have so far discovered that I remember almost none of my avian diseases.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I did Zuku for 1 month before the NAVLE and found it helpful. I did get through almost all the questions twice in that month. I have heard good things about Vetprep too, so I think a lot depends on personal preference. Don't forget the NBVME practice tests -- there are two.

I would highly recommend going with Vet prep. It's highly comprehensive and very informative. Better yet, more practice questions than Zuku. I would most def. go with vet prep. Their website is http://www.vetprep.com/

Zuku is now advertising 2600 questions and they are coming out with their own short notes.

Has any one used both? Have an opinion on which is better, easier to use?

We have a class rep for Zuku and Vet Pret and got talks about both. I only went to the Zuku one (both meetings were during finals week). I did learn that the emails are only a small percentage of their questions (less than a year's worth of emails, I believe) and they eventually cycle through and start repeating. Anyone who reprints RMM cartoons is also awesome.

But it seems like when I hear people talking about programs they like it's always Vet Pret, so I'm probably going to go with them unless someone who is doing the new Zuku pops by and lets us know how they like it.

Now that I think of it, I believe I remember trying out the Vet Prep at a conference booth once and the setup/feedback on it seemed pretty good.

Last edited:
We had a Zuku talk too, and I think they are now offering more questions, the short info pages, the Veterinary Board Game cards plus an extra free month. Does anyone think these upgrades would make it preferable over VetPrep?

Angelo, are you glad you did the VIN course?

Ben and Me--

The VIN class was helpful. It goes very quickly so some people found it more helpful to go back on their own and read through the transcripts as opposed to participating in the actual session. I think it was a nice complement to the vet prep I did. Good luck!

We had a Zuku talk too, and I think they are now offering more questions, the short info pages, the Veterinary Board Game cards plus an extra free month. Does anyone think these upgrades would make it preferable over VetPrep?

I'm actually leaning towards Zuku. The new summary info slides for certain disease, plus the "board games" questions look appealing. Plus, if you get the extended version, the total cost is $269 VS $289. Not that I'm saying an extra $20 isn't worth my future, but I think both programs will probably do what you need.

I actually opted for Zuku, but I really didnt feel strongly one way or the other when I made the decision. The biggest benefit in my mind was that I had planned to buy the Navle flashcards, and zuku includes them.

The Zuku web based mobile interface seems to work pretty well on the iphone.

Personally love the Zuku daily emails, find them especially helpful for exotics, which I tend to neglect in my own study time! :D

Speaking of Zuku, found this question. I am having trouble with it (at least with answer zuku provided).
Which one of the following choices is a major clinical complication of equine pituitary pars intermedia dysfunction?
A - Colic
B - Circling, Head-pressing
C - Dyshormonogenetic goiter
D - Laminitis
E - Diabetes insipidus

Please let me know what you guys think and why.

Let's try not to be pretentious when someone asks for help. I believe the answer is D , but my knowledge of horse medicine is limited.

Last edited:
Let's try not to be pretentious when someone asks for help. I believe the answer is E, but my knowledge of horse medicine is limited.

I'm not being pretentious. It is a question that could be answered simply be looking in ANY general large animal medical textbook, which as a student he or she should already be familiar with. Heck, even Google will give you an answer in five seconds. This is pure laziness.

I go for D, pars intermedia...
using VETPREP its good, PC, IPAD, IPHONE, IPOD FRIENDLY. priced right.
going for my BCSE this monday.