Zuku or VetPrep??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missiontortillas

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone subscribed to ZukuReview (3 or 6 months) and passed the NAVLE? Like many others, I am trying to decide on VetPrep vs. ZukuReview. I know everyone seems to prefer VetPrep....but is that just because Zuku is fairly new? I heard from some people that it was because Zuku didn't have as many questions, but they have many more now. I also heard from some people that the Zuku DAILY questions are MUCH easier than the VetPrep questions, and are not really representative of the types of questions on the NAVLE. Does anyone know if the Zuku subscription questions are similar to the DAILY questions? As of now, I would prefer to go with Zuku, because they are much cheaper and provided me with a very long (free) extension. I also like their customer support much better. However, my main goal is to pass, of course.

Members don't see this ad.

I used Zuku and really liked it. Felt like the question set up was similar to the NAVLE (wording, case discription, simple math questions, etc). While there was some stuff in Zuku that wasn't on the test and some stuff on the test that never came up in Zuku, people said the same thing about VetPrep. There's just no way to predict 100% of what will be asked on the real thing.

Definitely, would not hesitate to recommend either service. Our class as a whole was half and half on who used which service and we had a good pass rate.

Reactions: 1 user
I also used zuku and thought it was just fine... Shrug. There are a lot of zuku haters out there for some reason but I never really understood it. The questions were very similar I thought to navle. I just went with whichever prep company came out with the pay one price from now until testing deal first.

As long as you did fine in vet school, and retained info, I'm not sure it makes a difference whether you use either, neither, or both.

Members don't see this ad :)
Glad to hear that Zuku has a similar set-up to the NAVLE, Katryn.

I did ok in vet school, but not sure how much I have retained, Minnerbelle......seems to be the more and more info I try to cram in my brain, the more info I push out....ha ha. I also don't understand the "zuku-haters".....is it just because they reference Merk? And what's wrong with Merk?

Anyway, thanks for the advice, guys!

I did vet prep, but used my friends zuku as she wrote the NAVLE earlier than I did. I liked vet prep more, found that the information was easier to go through and the questions were a more accurate representation. DO THE NAVLE PRACTICE EXAMS available on their website. I did all 3 and scored around the same grade on the actual test. Good luck!

I did Vet Prep because I wanted the "premium" version where there were a lot of short video lectures and handouts to study from. I used it to go through all the horse/cow/pig/chicken material since it was the hard stuff for me. And, this sounds like a dumb reason but Zuku had white text on a black background and that formatting bothers my eyes. I had classmates that did VP and classmates that did Zuku and almost everyone passed, so I think whichever you think is best for your learning style.

Thanks for the info, Beetlejay. Did you friend pass the NAVLE just from studying Zuku (not Vetprep)?

How long ago did you use your friend's Zuku (like what year)?

Thanks for the advice Bunnity. Did you already take the NAVLE? Were the short videos and handouts helpful for you?

Thanks for the input, "that redhead." Everyone in my year seems to have chosen VetPrep. I was hoping to find out from other schools if anyone knows of people who have taken the NAVLE only studying Zuku......... and passed. Most students seem to prefer VetPrep, just would be helpful to hear inputs as to why. Or even better, would be really helpful to hear from those who have tried both (like Beetlejay).....but I know the chances of that are slim.

I guess I did a combination. I focused on vet prep but I also did the free daily zuku questions and the VIN course that was based on zuku--I think was cheap but not free at the time. Overall I felt the vet prep questions were similar to the NAVLE some of the zuku questions were very random and I didn't like the explanations as much. So N of one I liked vet prep better. I sample NAVLE exams were also great. All that said I took the NAVLE in 2010 (2011 grad) so things may have changed..

I studied primarily from Zuku and did the nbvme exams and passed. I also made myself study guides for the top 10/20 diseases for each species, since writing things out helps me remember, and as I went through everything, I made note of questions/topics I struggled with, and did extra reading on those.

Bunnity, how were the short videos with VetPrep, exactly? Were there any videos on anatomy/procedures, or were they just like lecture/powerpoint style (i.e. writing instead of live-video?)

I think there was anatomy of the bird but otherwise no. It was similar to a lecture you'd get in class but shorter and more focused.

SGU provides paid for premium Vet Prep subscriptions, and so far i've been really pleased with the amount and quality of study info. i like the little videos and handouts as well, think those are a neat and quick way to study!