Your thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PlAnEjaNe

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am wondering what my chances are of getting into an smp. I graduated from a quality institution last year but my gpa is dismal (2.56 science and 2.8ish overall). I am taking upper division science classes right now on my own and I will definitely get all A's (3 courses 3 units each) because I have been doing really well and have received 90% or better on all exams (even when the avgs were in the 50's and 60's). I have done the calculations and have found that if I take another 3 courses next semester and get all A's in those my bcmp gpa will still only be a 2.73 and overall a 2.9ish. I want to take the MCAT in April and so I will probably only take 2 courses instead of 3 so I can study---the difference b/w 2 and 3 courses amts to .0303 gpa pts....essentially negligible. Should I take 3 courses and study for MCAT or should I just stick with the 2?? Also, how competitive will I be with my stats (I hope to get 30 on MCAT)....will the fact that I have 4.0 in the postbac be able to cast shadow on my poor ug gpa?? I am looking at SMP programs and will apply in Dec/Jan. Any thoughts will be much appreciated. Thx.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am wondering what my chances are of getting into an smp. I graduated from a quality institution last year but my gpa is dismal (2.56 science and 2.8ish overall). I am taking upper division science classes right now on my own and I will definitely get all A's (3 courses 3 units each) because I have been doing really well and have received 90% or better on all exams (even when the avgs were in the 50's and 60's). I have done the calculations and have found that if I take another 3 courses next semester and get all A's in those my bcmp gpa will still only be a 2.73 and overall a 2.9ish. I want to take the MCAT in April and so I will probably only take 2 courses instead of 3 so I can study---the difference b/w 2 and 3 courses amts to .0303 gpa pts....essentially negligible.

Sounds like a good plan:thumbup:

Should I take 3 courses and study for MCAT or should I just stick with the 2?? Also, how competitive will I be with my stats (I hope to get 30 on MCAT)....will the fact that I have 4.0 in the postbac be able to cast shadow on my poor ug gpa?? I am looking at SMP programs and will apply in Dec/Jan. Any thoughts will be much appreciated. Thx.

I'd sign up for 3, and then drop one if you decide you need more time to study for the MCAT. Obviously if you can do well in 3 classes and score well on the MCAT, thats the optimal situation, but you have to figure in your limits as well. Since you will be nearing the 3.0 range, I would say there is hope:). Try to get to a 3.0 though, at least in terms of overall GPA. The 4.0 in post-bacc work should make up for any deficiencies for your science GPA assuming they were upper division classes taken under a rigors courseload (e.g., full time). I noticed you're from CA ...so you may or may not know that UC med schools screen GPA. You may be screened out during the primary applications if your GPA doesn't meet some cut-off (regardless of MCAT score). The cutoff is around 3.0-3.2. In regards about your MCAT, don't hope for a 30, just do well. One can hope for many things, but in reality it comes down to what you do, and how you do it. In all honesty, I'd shoot for above a 30. Most schools treat MCAT and GPA equally so doing well in one may not make up for the other, and the MCAT range is ever increasing these days anyways. Again, given that you are in CA, you have to note that the average MCAT score for UC's is 33. But for the most part, you are on the right track, given your post-bacc work. Good luck!

Thanks for your advice relentless. I know that bringing my overall to 3.0 will put me in the best position but I just don't have the time or $$ to take the extra 4-5 courses that it would take before applying to smps. I will be explaining that in my essays to the smps so they know I have a good explanation. I wasn't aware that smps screen gpa??? I was planning on applying to Drexel, Boston, and G-town's smp programs, are there any in ca that are geared towards gpa boosting for science majors? Thx.

-PlAnEjaNe

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your advice relentless. I know that bringing my overall to 3.0 will put me in the best position but I just don't have the time or $$ to take the extra 4-5 courses that it would take before applying to smps. I will be explaining that in my essays to the smps so they know I have a good explanation. I wasn't aware that smps screen gpa??? I was planning on applying to Drexel, Boston, and G-town's smp programs, are there any in ca that are geared towards gpa boosting for science majors? Thx.

-PlAnEjaNe

I don't think SMPs screen GPA, but I do know that those programs you mentioned have a very large application pool because..well they are popular. Therefore you may be working against that too. Remember that both post-bacc programs and SMPs have the right to pick those who would have a high chance of getting into med school so they can boost their reputation. You might want to check on what the application looks like at those SMPs. I may be wrong, but I had the impression that the average was around a 3.1-3.2 or something.

Conversely, SMP programs do not improve your undergrad GPA. I think they work great though, but you may still be screened out if you end up applying to a UC med school. Despite taking "med school level classes", they're still considered graduate level based on AMCAS. Just depends on what you want to do.

I don't think SMPs screen GPA, but I do know that those programs you mentioned have a very large application pool because..well they are popular. Therefore you may be working against that too. Remember that both post-bacc programs and SMPs have the right to pick those who would have a high chance of getting into med school so they can boost their reputation. You might want to check on what the application looks like at those SMPs. I may be wrong, but I had the impression that the average was around a 3.1-3.2 or something.

Conversely, SMP programs do not improve your undergrad GPA. I think they work great though, but you may still be screened out if you end up applying to a UC med school. Despite taking "med school level classes", they're still considered graduate level based on AMCAS. Just depends on what you want to do.

My plan is to get into an smp in the fall of 07 and while in the smp program, or before I apply to med schools, is to take another semester of upper division ugrad coursework to bring my overall gpa above 3.0. I think it works out to about 12 hours or 3-4 courses (i.e. one semester) to reach above 3.0 if I take 3 courses next semester---I am also thinking about taking a course over the summer before I start the smp programs. This way I won't be shut out in ca even after having put in all the work at an smp. My biggest worry is not being able to get into an smp at all and then having to wait around another year (I graduated last fall and didn't take courses over the spring or summer) to just enter an smp program...I am 25 already. I would like to know that my coursework this year would cause the smp to overlook my gpa and see that I can handle the coursework and that I have matured in my study habits since graduating. I think I will talk to some of the people at the smp programs to get a feel for what they think my chances are???

I'm in an SMP program right now, and I can tell you that you can get in if you have enough improvement to your grades. A year of science coursework with A's is probably not going to be enough for places like Georgetown which are pretty selective, but you can get into other programs--BU, EVMS, RFU.

Don't worry about your age. I'm applying now, having completed an SMP, and I'm 27, will be 28 when I start med school. Considering how low your gpa was to begin with, you should apportion 3 years to get into med school, so regardless you will be an older matriculant.

If you are considering SMP programs, note that you will get the highest yield from them if you wait to apply *after* you've finished the first year, since all of your grades will be available by then. If you try to apply when you're still in the program, you will almost assuredly fall behind in your coursework since the essays from secondaries will be extremely time consuming. If you apply to around 25 schools, which is what most people in your situation would do, you will be looking at the equivalent of an additional 4 semester class.

My plan is to get into an smp in the fall of 07 and while in the smp program, or before I apply to med schools, is to take another semester of upper division ugrad coursework to bring my overall gpa above 3.0. I think it works out to about 12 hours or 3-4 courses (i.e. one semester) to reach above 3.0 if I take 3 courses next semester---I am also thinking about taking a course over the summer before I start the smp programs. This way I won't be shut out in ca even after having put in all the work at an smp. My biggest worry is not being able to get into an smp at all and then having to wait around another year (I graduated last fall and didn't take courses over the spring or summer) to just enter an smp program...I am 25 already. I would like to know that my coursework this year would cause the smp to overlook my gpa and see that I can handle the coursework and that I have matured in my study habits since graduating. I think I will talk to some of the people at the smp programs to get a feel for what they think my chances are???

Another thing to keep in mind is that most SMP require the MCAT before you attend. I know Georgetown allow GRE to be substituted, but still prefer MCAT. Also, Georgetown SMP has a minium of 3.0 GPA requirement for admission, as do some others. (Drexel and EVMS have lower GPA minimums)
I think if your GPA is on the borderline, they would look to the MCAT.

Found a handy program comparison chart: http://mcp.uc.edu/index.php?level2=1040 Don't know if the info is up to date though.

Silkworm's link is not accurate...at least for BU, where the tuition for two full-time semesters (the minimum) is 34k. Plus, the minimum gpa/mcat requirements are bogus for all the schools. My gpa was a 2.8 when I applied, and I got in. You have to remember, these MS programs are money making ventures for their respective med schools, so the admit just about anyone who seems reasonable.

Thanks for all of your great advice! Junebug, that makes me feel better about the whole age thing. I was just worried because if I apply after having completed 1 year of the smp, (with my gpa I need to have the coursework behind me before I apply...as you mentioned...to give me the best chance) it would set me back even further. I guess when it's all said and done I am definitely willing to throw in the extra year if it means the difference between an acceptance and a rejection. I know georgetown is a longshot since I really believe the avg gpa of their program is more like a 3.2-3.3 and mcat 31-34. I figure there is no harm in applying though. My real focus (if I don't get into gtown) is going to be Drexel and BU because they are structured essentially the same way as gtown but just not as competitive (because of the name???) to get into as gtown. I am just working really hard to prove that I can handle the course work in an smp right now. I guess it will really come down to how well I do on the MCAT.

Silkworm's link is not accurate...at least for BU, where the tuition for two full-time semesters (the minimum) is 34k. Plus, the minimum gpa/mcat requirements are bogus for all the schools. My gpa was a 2.8 when I applied, and I got in. You have to remember, these MS programs are money making ventures for their respective med schools, so the admit just about anyone who seems reasonable.

Your 2.8 gpa, is that science or overall?? I will have around a 2.8 science gpa once I finish my second semester of courses. I was wondering if I should go ahead and apply to the programs in Jan (when is the earliest you can apply to these programs??) even though my MCAT and grades from my second semester wont be received until May. Will that put me at a significant disadvantage, meaning will they only look at my app in May only or will they look at it in Jan and wait until my grades/scores come back in early May to make a final decision? For those that interview, will I interview in May or when my app is received? I know this is a lot of questions but I just want to optimize my chances of getting into these programs while being sure not to rush it so much that I end up hurting myself. Thx.

Your 2.8 gpa, is that science or overall?? I will have around a 2.8 science gpa once I finish my second semester of courses. I was wondering if I should go ahead and apply to the programs in Jan (when is the earliest you can apply to these programs??) even though my MCAT and grades from my second semester wont be received until May. Will that put me at a significant disadvantage, meaning will they only look at my app in May only or will they look at it in Jan and wait until my grades/scores come back in early May to make a final decision? For those that interview, will I interview in May or when my app is received? I know this is a lot of questions but I just want to optimize my chances of getting into these programs while being sure not to rush it so much that I end up hurting myself. Thx.

My gpa was around a 2.8 overall and 3.3 science when I applied. You can apply whenever you want, but they wont consider you application until your file is complete, which means having your MCAT score. I can't speak for G'town or even for BU because when I applied everything was ready for review, but I think not having your MCAT score available until May will lower your chances. I know at BU they will consider you if you are late, but only if your application is strong. I applied to BU rather late, and though my overall gpa was 2.8, by then I had 2.5 years of straight A's and a good MCAT score, so I think that made the difference. If you have a few years of strong performance and you test well, it may not matter if you apply a little late. Nonetheless, I know at G'town seats fill up fast, and the same is true at BU, to a lesser extent, so it behooves you to have everything in asap. I think the MCAT is bring offered several times next year, and score reports are going to be available in 30 days, so if I were you, I would take the earliest test date possible and get everything in before seats fill up.