Thoughts on SMPs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joe Jewel

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Trying to make this as "to the point" as possible. A little background about myself: I graduated with an undergraduate science degree a handful of years ago. At the time all I wanted to do is go into medicine. Personal circumstances, mostly family-related, stood in the way. As the idea came up I decided to pursue an MBA at the local business school. Since then I have been working in banking/finance for the past couple of years. Currently, our situation permits that I go back to school and I want to apply for medical school as soon as I can. I decided to look into post-bacc/SMPs. Taking a few online science courses helped keep me afloat with the basics and therefore I am interested in SMPs rather than post baccs. Last but not least, I was fortunately accepted into multiple AAMC-listed SMPs. I have some regrets not applying to some of the more competitive programs but I just want to get a feel for upper-level science classes and prepare for the MCAT (not sure how Johns Hopkins and the likes would consider/view a non-traditional like myself without recent science work). My main question is: coming down to deciding between Quinnipiac's MHS in biomedical sciences vs. Geisinger's MBS (with an online option)? Which one would be more logical at this point considering that there is no such programs in my area? Or is it better to skip it all and self-study for the MCAT until next year? My main concern isn't with the time and cost since it is a big sacrifice to attend any school; it is how either program would prepare me for applying to medical school and improve my chances to get accepted. Thanks for your feedback.

Members don't see this ad.