Thoughts on SMP list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indiscreetpopcorn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Whoa if you think you need to take a post-bac, what hope is there for some of us.. :eek:

Have you done a regular app cycle yet? I would think with those stats, and especially being a Peace Corps volunteer, that you'd get several DO interviews if not a few MDs...

Tulane's pharm program is not really an SMP. The ACLP you have to be waitlisted at a medical school to be considered.

I would absolutely apply DO and to some lower/mid-tier MDs, especially your state school and those with a heavy emphasis on service. That Peace Corps experience seriously gives you an advantage, IMO.
Your GPA is definitely competitive for DO and the MCAT is way over most averages. I think the highest avg MCAT I saw for a DO school was a 507-508.

SMPs are expensive & no sense wasting a year in one and losing that year of your life + year of physician income. Also, if you get that same 3.4 in an SMP, that does not look good.

Members don't see this ad :)
With your stats and ECs you probably don't need an SMP. I agree with Camisado and think you should apply MD/DO this cycle, but also apply to some of the SMPs on your list so if it doesn't work out you have a fall back. IMO U of Cinci is the one of the best SMPs out there. Also EVMS has a 1 year SMP where you get to take med school classes. You can peruse the thread and see what other SMPs are reputable, but I think if you apply early you will have a good shot this cycle with med schools. Good luck!

I wouldn't do an SMP because of your GPA. I really only recommend it if you're below 3.0. I've know a few people admitted with 3.1's to top 50 schools. If you have questions about Tulane, I can answer them! As the post states, the pharm program is not a SMP, but Tulane likes their own (it's a secondary question if you've done one of their programs).

Not an expert here but I would advise you apply this cycle especially since schools won’t take an MCAT older than three years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk