Your thoughts?? HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mattng

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am at an impasse. I have a year to spend, and here are my options.

1. Go to graduate school (got accepted into Tulane University Masters in Cell and Molecular Biology)

2. Work full-time as a respiratory therapist at my hospital (tons of clinical experience there)

What should I do? I feel like I need to go to school, but at the same time, I live in Maryland and really don't want to go that far away. It would also be really nice to be able to make money as my parents have stopped paying for education after undergrad. Your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated as I have until July 21st to give Tulane my decision. Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

i think your grades are fine and that it would be a waste of money. The only problem is your MCAT, but given your GPA, its probably good enough to get you in. I would work full time doing RESEARCH maybe NIH if possible, and if by the end of the cycle, you havent gotten in any where, try and figure out what is hurting you...if Its the MCAT, which I doubt, take it again....but you have no research experience, so I think that would fill you out.

As far as research is concerned, I think I missed the deadlines to do something at NIH. I did get rejected last year from all the schools I applied to, kind of thinking that I was a late applicant, but I'm doing secondaries as we speak now. (I was complete in August, had secondaries out like August - October). So you guys really think that I don't need to go to grad school? A little bit about my undergraduate education, I basically did the bare minimum as far as pre-reqs for medical school; biology, organic, general chem, physics. No advanced sciences as I majored in respiratory therapy.

Members don't see this ad :)
how did you do in ur pre-reqs, if you screwed up than yes, i would recommend more coursework, but judging from ur sci. gpa it seems like you did great. It doesnt have to be nih, make sure you get some research under your belt....i think applying early is key for you, so get on top of your **** and make sure you're prepared for the 2 or 3 interviews you might get, and i think you should be fine.

Had a lot of AP Credits for the pre-reqs, and the classes that I did take, I did well in them...If not NIH, then where at??

So, tomorrow is the last day give tulane my decision. Any last minute thoughts?

I sent an email to the director and asked him what he thought. This is what he said, does anybody have any feedback?

I do think you would benefit from the program, in regard to clinical
experience, presentation skills, patient interviewing skills, and a
solid foundation for a number of classes you'll be taking in Medical
School, to name a few. I also know that Medical Schools look highly on
this unique Program and it helps the students. Like I said, I believe
you are a solid candidate for Med. School, but my estimates are based on
the individuals who were in my Program that have gotten into Med School,
while in the Program. I don't have data on individuals who did not
attend the Program. I don't know what to tell you in regard to research
or another medically related job vs. this Program. I do know that I
will do all my best to help guide you along in the process and give you
all that I can in regard to your getting in and succeeding in Medical