Your opinions are appreciated

qeyes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear forum members:

I am new to this forum and also new to Optometry school discussions. After reading most of the posting, I am kind of wanting to apply for an optometry school. The problem is that I did poorly on science classes since my professional background is mechanical engineering.

Looking at the prerequisite course requirements from most schools of optometry, I still need more hours on Biology, a whole year Organic Chemistry, Psychology, Biochemistry or Microbiology.

The worst part is that my gpa is only 2.7.

Is there a chance for me if I am willing to take all prerequiste courses for admission requirement?

Thanks a lot in advance.

qeyes.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say definitely! Even with a 2.7, all of those sciences will be a lot of credit hours, enough to bring your GPA up. They all have labs (well, except psyc), so they'll be at least 4 credits. I don't know how universal credit hours are, but that's my guess.

If you went to a good school + do well on the rest of the requirement + 340+ OAT = you should get a chance somewhere.

Dear forum members:

I am new to this forum and also new to Optometry school discussions. After reading most of the posting, I am kind of wanting to apply for an optometry school. The problem is that I did poorly on science classes since my professional background is mechanical engineering.

Looking at the prerequisite course requirements from most schools of optometry, I still need more hours on Biology, a whole year Organic Chemistry, Psychology, Biochemistry or Microbiology.

The worst part is that my gpa is only 2.7.

Is there a chance for me if I am willing to take all prerequiste courses for admission requirement?

Thanks a lot in advance.

qeyes.

There's always a chance for everything. This depends heavily on your future effort. Your current gpa won't get you an interview, not to mention acceptance to a US optometry school. If you're still a sophomore in college, youd better start nailing straight As for the rest of your college career. Why not trying to retake some of the classes that you did poorly on and get a better grade to replace the bad one? That will put a somewhat extra load on your studies but at the end I think it's worth the time and effort. You'd also need an above average OAT score (320+?), and most importantly, impressive shadowing experiences in optometric/ophthalmic settings.

I can tell you from my personal experience, that grades aren't everything.