Your LOR sucks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KMIMSM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
if you get rejected from a school and ask them why, are they going to disclose things such as:

your LOR sucks
your personal statement sucks
your interview sucks

if all else is great except for any of these, how would you know to improve for the next application cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

if you get rejected from a school and ask them why, are they going to disclose things such as:

your LOR sucks
your personal statement sucks
your interview sucks

if all else is great except for any of these, how would you know to improve for the next application cycle?

I don't think schools will tell you x "sucks" persay. I have heard that they do disclose what parts of your application was lacking, and how to improve those parts.

It's like the whole "reject" thing. Schools (at least for undergrad admissions) do not use the word "reject." They phrase it as "not offering admissions" or whatever.

Anyway, they WILL tell you which part needs "improvement" (or some form of the matter). And you will know how to improve... because when you know what parts of your application lacks, then you can work to improve it.

Members don't see this ad :)
so if the LOR doesn't really tell the school much about you, will they tell you that your LOR isn't "competitive" enough?

I asked because my LOR writers don't know much about me. They are willing to write for me but I don't know what they wrote. I'm afraid it will be like "this person came to me once and asked for a LOR and got an A in my class and never went to office hours...this is what I know from her based on the transcript and the personal statement she gave to me...etc ." Or, for the evaluation part, they will just check "not observed" or n/a for those.

I have like one or two good writers but for the other 2 I'm afraid it's mediocre. They seem nice but you don't know. I've heard it happening before.

Well, if you're that worried, start forging relationships now that you can possibly use in the future. By the time you find out that you were rejected and why you got rejected (and if it is weak LORs), it might be a bit late. These things take time. It's never a bad thing to make professional relationships with people around you.

There's nothing you can do about the LORs now, as you sound like you already asked, and they've already submitted/will submit soon.

At least you have a good letter or two. I'd stick with positive thinking, and just think that hopefully, those letters will be enough to show your positive attributes.