Your favorite/most helpful away rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmellowyellow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested to know where you all have gone on away rotations and which ones you felt were the best (in whatever way you want to define best :)) Places you felt like you fit in/got to do stuff/learned a lot/got amazing letters/hated with a passion and thus removed forever from your list :p

I don't have special ties to anywhere in the country and I'm open to trying new places for residency, which makes it very hard to narrow things down and find THE program I want to audition for. I also have lots of time for aways, so I can do more than one if I want/need to. I know there are websites I can search through, but the first-hand info is spotty and mostly outdated.

So, what do you think? And I'm sure there are other people out there who would benefit from so many expert opinions. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested to know where you all have gone on away rotations and which ones you felt were the best (in whatever way you want to define best :)) Places you felt like you fit in/got to do stuff/learned a lot/got amazing letters/hated with a passion and thus removed forever from your list :p

I don't have special ties to anywhere in the country and I'm open to trying new places for residency, which makes it very hard to narrow things down and find THE program I want to audition for. I also have lots of time for aways, so I can do more than one if I want/need to. I know there are websites I can search through, but the first-hand info is spotty and mostly outdated.

So, what do you think? And I'm sure there are other people out there who would benefit from so many expert opinions. :)

A piece of general advice i can give:
If you can set up a rotation at a private hospital with a surgeon you know well, do it. I spent 2 months with a cardiothoracic surgeon in private practice. No residents or fellows (surgery or anesthesia) I followed the patients and learned one on one with the attending (it needs to be a motivated doc and good teacher). Learned a ton about critical care, pressors, vents and swan numbers. I did about 60 central lines, many art lines and intubated most of the patients. It was absolutely the best learning rotation I did in medical school period and helped the transition to residency go smoothly.