LoR from away rotations before deadline?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureIcon

Future icon
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an MS3 and I am intending on applying to urology next year. I currently have 3-4 LoRs from urologists at my school. However, due to my school schedule, I am having trouble scheduling away rotations early in the summer/fall.

Do I need an LoR from an away rotation for my app if I have enough from urologists at my school? Do programs really want to see a letter from a different institution?

Members don't see this ad.

You should work with your school to get rotations in the summer/early fall. Doing an away rotation later in year will not help you because applications go in in September and interview offers start right away. It is not just the letter that is important. Doing the away rotations allows you to gain experience in urology, make connections, and often is your best chance at a match site.

Having no away rotations and letters from only your home site will not look good on your applications. Most applicants are doing at least one away rotation. The school should realize this and help you to figure it out. Generally 4th year has tons of elective time for this exact reason. Is that not the case at your school?

You should work with your school to get rotations in the summer/early fall. Doing an away rotation later in year will not help you because applications go in in September and interview offers start right away. It is not just the letter that is important. Doing the away rotations allows you to gain experience in urology, make connections, and often is your best chance at a match site.

Having no away rotations and letters from only your home site will not look good on your applications. Most applicants are doing at least one away rotation. The school should realize this and help you to figure it out. Generally 4th year has tons of elective time for this exact reason. Is that not the case at your school?
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately my school actually does not have tons of elective time. We have a lot of required clerkships during 4th year. As of yesterday I was able to get one rotation early in the summer. I had to ask for a lot of changes to my schedule just to get more elective time around the time I needed it.

The second one is in September so no letter from that one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately my school actually does not have tons of elective time. We have a lot of required clerkships during 4th year. As of yesterday I was able to get one rotation early in the summer. I had to ask for a lot of changes to my schedule just to get more elective time around the time I needed it.

The second one is in September so no letter from that one.

That's not terrible. I think you can submit additional letters after the application is in. Your OP implied you wouldn't get any rotations in through summer/fall but getting 2 in is ok.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok perfect! I was worried for a second but things turned around and I secured two rotations and my school changed my schedule for me.

Thanks for the advice! I’ll definitely ask for the letter in September to do that i can add that to my app!

I agree with with cpants, get some LORs from aways. Since the changing of step 1 to pass fail, LORs have become even more important. Having different places giving input on you in and LOR helps give more reliable information about you as an applicant. For example if you have 3 LORs from the same Urology department all saying good reviews vs 3 LORs from 3 different locations saying good reviews, the later holds way more stock.