Your 2nd choice - if vet school wasn't a possibility?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Totally dorky, but if I couldn't go to vet school, I would try to write sitcoms or comedies. That comes off was way lamer than it does in my head :laugh:. I'd also like to write a zombie movie because IMO, no one has put out a phenomenal zombie flick in a LONG time. If I could play in a metal band again, that would be cool too. But :xf: I go to vet school and graduate and do what I really want to do.

Members don't see this ad.

I always think it's kind of funny when my old threads pop up :laugh:

I STILL want to be a Pastry Chef...

I'm actually working part time during school as an assistant Pastry Chef in an organic, artisan bakery in a Co-Op.

Right now the bakery is so much more fun than school!! Too bad I hadn't made this revelation before I decided to bet a vet...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd probably go the PhD route, staying in academia.

Of course my super ideal dream job is to be a professional handler at dog shows. Travel the country, hang out with some amazing animals, do some skillful grooming, train, kick butt in the ring... fun :) At least that's how I'm imagining it and it can be as idealistic as I want cause its my little dream.

I've always thought I might like to teach. No idea, but I would probably stay in school for as long as possible to prevent having to actually step out into the real world and be an adult.

If I could do anything I dreamed, I would probably open a bully breed rescue, or some other non-profit animal organization...maybe one to help owners pay for expensive, life-saving surgeries. I'm a big fan of the rottweiler though so no matter what I end up doing I will get myself a big, loveable, rottie.

If I can not get into vet school my second dream has always been to be a pediatrician. I would actually like to specialize in pediatric oncology; if vet school doesn't work out. My last back up would be to either teach since to elementary school students or to open up a wildlife animal sanctuary.

I LOVE this thread! Vet students must be the most interesting people.

I would be a part time piano teacher, and then I would open a ballet academy. Vet school was actually my second choice for a career. I wanted to be a ballerina:( But I seriously hurt my back, so being a professional ballet dancer is way out of the question, they said I could teach, but thats a third choice of mine. I'd also right fiction in my spare time!

If I was in any way motivated to go back to school, I'd probably become an architect. Considered it for undergrad, but wasn't sure enough of it to go to Cal Poly SLO (they make you declare on your application) and the college I chose didn't have architecture.

Or, perhaps I'd volunteer or get a job at the zoo to get my foot in the door to one day be a keeper. It's so hard to get those positions though!

If I can not get into vet school my second dream has always been to be a pediatrician. I would actually like to specialize in pediatric oncology.

Well, hello there twin! :) This is also my second choice!

I'd either get an MS or PhD in Library Science if Veterinary Medicine did not exist.

Interesting thread :woot:

My second choice, which was a hard decision until I realized vet school is the way to go, was an MS in Publishing to work with childrens' lit and young adult lit. I loved reading as a child and would love to be a part in editing and reading young adult books before they hit the shelves.

Another slightly realistic one is human medicine, working with newborns. I considered Speech Pathology for while, too! (I'm an English/Spanish major, so 2nd language acquisition is a hot topic.)

other dream jobs: (never give up!)
Work at SeaWorld. :D
Marine Biologist-- conservation and stuff. If I don't go the shelter route, I'm going this route with the DVM, somehow.

in my spare time:
flute in an orchestra (if I ever find one to join again!)
write young adult lit

and if all of the above somehow fails, I'll be a middle school Spanish teacher.

Work at SeaWorld. :D

for the longest time, my goal was to be one of the handlers that swam with Shamu. Until I saw that guy get slammed quite a few years back, then I changed my tune. Even though it would still be sweet to go to work in a wetsuit :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Med school :) And then probably specialize in pediatrics (newborns yay!). I notice a lot of us who put down med as our second choice are also interested in pedatrics... I guess it kind of parallels vet med the most in that we'd still be taking care of cute little things that can't speak for themselves hehe

I was initially pre-med before switching to pre-vet anyway... but my enthusiasm for vet med >> human med. The current plan is to apply to vet school up to two times, and on the third time apply to vet and med at the same time. Although by then I will hopefully have at least 1 child of my own because that would mean I wouldn't graduate from school until after I'm 30 + residency, and the boy (future hubby?) and I would preferably like to have our first child when we're 27-29 at the latest, if we can.

If I couldn't go to vet school, I'd go to Europe for a few years, and work with one of the big name jumper trainers over there. Hopefully, I'd compete a bit, then make my way back here. I'd hop a plane down to the Virginia area, buy a big horse farm and go from there. Ideally I'd be completing and breeding American Warmbloods, namely multi colored creatures with splotches (not to be confused with spots!).

Of course, even if I do go to vet school, I'll hopefully eventually have the horse farm!

Option 1: Pastry chef/baker. I love food and baking and food photography has become a hobby of mine. I find food blogs to be the best procrastination tool evar.
Option 2: Own coffee shop.
Option 3: Physical therapist. Focusing on sports injury/rehab, probably.

The process to get hired as a trainer at Sea World is ridiculous.

Oh I knowwwwww. However in high school I visited and there is a guy whose job it is to sit in a kayak in the middle of the dolphin touch-tank. That is my dream job. Just lounge about in a kayak and tell people not to feed the dolphins weird foods. I'm sure it would actually get very annoying, but still seems a little fun. :laugh:

I don't think I'd actually want to be a trainer, I'm not nearly a good enough swimmer.

My 'dream' back up career would be a paleontologist. I am such a dinosaur nerd but figure the job market is probably not so hot not to mention I actually hate rocks and geology and camping in 120F weather...Anyway that job is probably out.

Realistically get a PhD and teach.

my ultimate passion is to be traveling around the world just doing photography. Whether it be photojournalism, landscape, wildlife...my life would be forever happy.

OR

i would want to be in the film industry. especially editing & producing!

I've always said my backup career was to be a Professional Whistler.

In all seriousness, I would probably go to med school and become a Medical Examiner. I figure if I can't do Vet Path, Human Path is a pretty close second. And after as hard as I've tried to get into vet school all these years, getting into med school would probably be a breeze ;) Amiright?

Another vote for being a pediatrician! I love kids! Or possibly an elementary school art teacher.

Dream world I would live in Europe, probably France, and be a photographer. Or stay at home, have a bunch of my own kids, adopt a couple, and have a foster home.

You know what I would really love to do? Own a bakery! I love to bake. I would get so fat though because you have to taste as you bake, it's like a rule. AAAAND I'd like to gift-wrap for people. I know a lot of people don't like to do it but I find it fun and exciting, especially when ribbons and bows come into play.

I think I could see myself being a marine biologist or wildlife biologist. I'd also like to be a ski instructor in the winter. Maybe teach conservation biology or tap dance or french.

You know what I would really love to do? Own a bakery! I love to bake. I would get so fat though because you have to taste as you bake, it's like a rule. AAAAND I'd like to gift-wrap for people. I know a lot of people don't like to do it but I find it fun and exciting, especially when ribbons and bows come into play.

I love to bake and decorate as well. I love decorating cakes, and would love to make those stellar cakes you see on Ace of Cakes.

More realistically though, I'd go for med school. I'm not so much a pediatrician-type though.

Vineyard owner in Napa and the maker of fine Cabernets.

Vineyard owner in Napa and the maker of fine Cabernets.

One of my genius friends (literally a genius) ended up going to UC Davis for wine making (major=Viticulture and Enology). I'm pretty sure he'll just be chillin in a vineyard all his life lol hes so awesome

One of my genius friends (literally a genius) ended up going to UC Davis for wine making (major=Viticulture and Enology). I'm pretty sure he'll just be chillin in a vineyard all his life lol hes so awesome

I ain't smart, but i sure like some good grape :D

cowgirla, are a Hall of Fame fan?

I am torn between becoming a crazy person who lives out of a van making pottery or becoming some kind of chef, most likely pastry.

If I had a rich relative who wanted to set me up for life, I would just take up show jumping again and run a small barn for kids who had the talent but not the cash.

Art Deco babies are amazing. Totally drool worthy...

ETA: Oh man, they've got Sempatico there too...Another one that makes me drool...

I have a Hall of Fame baby. Love her to death. That's her in my picture. Consensus is that Art Deco and Hall of Fame make total psychos and some people who know my horse might agree... :D Don't forget Rainbow though, he's pretty nice. They used to have Spectrum who I loved.

This place Gestüt Falkenhorst, http://www.gestuet-falkenhorst.de/gfhome.html, is pretty awesome.

Cowgirla, why pinto sporthorses? Just asking because most people HATE pintos

I vote cuz they are pretty!!
Knew a goofy Hall of Fame baby too, but sadly he didn't get any color. Conformational nightmare but super sweet and tons of scope.

I love the look of the stud they have up for sale, State of the Art, but know nothing about him.

I have a Hall of Fame baby. Love her to death. That's her in my picture. Consensus is that Art Deco and Hall of Fame make total psychos and some people who know my horse might agree... :D Don't forget Rainbow though, he's pretty nice. They used to have Spectrum who I loved.

This place Gestüt Falkenhorst, http://www.gestuet-falkenhorst.de/gfhome.html, is pretty awesome.

Cowgirla, why pinto sporthorses? Just asking because most people HATE pintos

They're just completely awesome...
The first horse I ever saddle broke was a 3 year old Art Deco baby. We called him Triple. He was such a nice horse, and his full brother was a top of the line hunter. I've worked with a couple others out of that line since then, and all of them have been very smart, nice confo, great movement, the total package.

I've always liked the fancy hunter/jumpers, I admit, and the "flash" makes them so much cooler, even if all that white is a pain in the butt to keep clean.

I spent a couple years on a paint/pinto breeding farm, saddle breaking babies there, and competing HUS/WP. Most of them were basically sporthorses-- TB mares, Paint/Pinto studs.

That, and I'm such a sucker for the black and whites!

They aren't quite as "sporthorsey" but I like the Mr. Fancy Bonzanza lines too-- such sweet babies, and sooooo easy to get a saddle on!

Pastry chef (Ace of Cakes style)

Or Concert Pianist (while composing on the side) :D

A hermit. Up in the mountains of NC/VA/TN somewhere. With a small farm so I could be totally (or almost) self-sufficient. Kinda like Nell, before Liam Neeson and Natasha Richardson discovered her and screwed up her life. Although it still would be helpful to have a DVM degree so I could take proper care of my animals!

I? Will most definitely not be stripping. You can thank me later. (Seriously. Especially if you and I happen to end up in the same program. ;))

I am loving the fact that so many other people on here like playing with frosting... and a lot of other fabulous arty things that don't involve advanced degrees. I now feel slightly less freakish... in some respects, anyways. :p

I like this thread a lot!

I would be a "professional" artist... I actually do pet portraits on the side! It definitely isn't a stable income though, but when Christmas comes around, it is nice to have a few hundred bucks in my bank account as a result ;)

I hope no one else has said my awesome idea yet but, I would just stay at my parents and play World of Warcraft day in and day out. That's how depressed I would be. Not that bad...right?

I hope no one else has said my awesome idea yet but, I would just stay at my parents and play World of Warcraft day in and day out. That's how depressed I would be. Not that bad...right?

:laugh:

On the up side, if you played enough, maybe you could rack up enough dinero to fund a semester or two of vet school (once you are accepted) by selling off all the characters you've leveled up... :D

*Cue sound of my best friend's WoW-loving husband having a coronary...*

Throughout my journey to veterinary school, there have been times (over the past 26 years!) where I have thought of other career fields...

1) Meteorologist
2) Professional percussion ensemble (marimba or xylophone)
3) Professional Drum Corp (clarinet player)
4) Computer scientist/programmer (tired to minor in this-I apparently suck at programming languages)
5) Music Business Lawyer
6) Human medicine
7) PhD in physiology/neuroanatomy/Animal behavior
8) Professional Animal Trainer/Vet. Tech (for movies and TV & such) - I used to day-dream about being the private in-house vet. tech for the White House!:oops: (you know, if that existed)

But every time my mind wandered..it always came back to veterinary medicine. That's how I know its what I want to do!:)

... maybe you could rack up enough dinero to fund a semester or two of vet school (once you are accepted) by selling off all the characters you've leveled up... :D

That would be an awesome idea! Too bad that if you get caught doing that you're banned for life :scared::scared::scared:

I've always wanted to be a pro snowboarder. I competed once, like literally, one time. *sigh*

If vet med weren't a possibility I'm thinking I would become a professional eater.

My plan B was to open a bakery/coffee shop and go into business with my Mom. She makes things look amazing (she does wedding cakes as a 'hobby'...) and I absolutely love to bake.... Figured that I'd at least enjoy what I'd be doing....

A hermit. Up in the mountains of NC/VA/TN somewhere. With a small farm so I could be totally (or almost) self-sufficient. Kinda like Nell, before Liam Neeson and Natasha Richardson discovered her and screwed up her life. Although it still would be helpful to have a DVM degree so I could take proper care of my animals!

I just now saw this but, this is what I always tell my friends! Except I always say I would be a hermit up in the mountains raising goats. I don't know why goats because I actually slightly hate them. But, it would be goats.

I don't think I've ever told this to anyone, but if I couldn't be a vet, I'd want to be a tattoo artist / body piercer! I actually got my first piercings only a couple of weeks ago (don't worry, they're not in a location where the adcom can see ;)), and now I'm hooked! Talented artists like Guy Aitchison make me wish I could permanently tattoo my artwork onto other people's bodies :p

I would definitely go back to school after UG and get an MPH and own a beef lot on the side. Even though I am accepted to vet school and plan on graduating, I still want to own a farm with a few beef steers and other various farm critters.:love:

My backup would have been a genealogist - digging up your past is fascinating and I'd love to help other people find theirs while I try to go even farther back with mine. I've got pre-1700's on my dad's side and early 1800's on my moms. My aunt and I actually visited the church that my great-great-great grandfather built himself. Amazing!