You were accepted. Help me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmpp

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I assume that many of the people in this forum are either attending a DO school or will be this fall.
I am currently applying (I know a little late)and have several questions. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

I have only recently, during the past year, really become familiar with osteopathy. I applied to allopathic schools last year (I am still on 3 wait-lists but seriouly doubt it will 'happen' for me this year). Actually, I really learned for the first time about oosteopathic schools after speaking with 2 DO's (KCOM grads)several times last summer, smack dab in the middle of my secondary applications to allopathic schools. I started doing a little research and learned more about the osteopathic philosophy, curriculum, and a little about certain DO schools while I waited to hear from allopthic schools. I really thought I was going to be accepted to at least one of the schools that I had applied to. It hasn't happened (and probably won't) this year.

I don't won't osteopathic schools to feel like DO school is my back-up or alternative to allopathy. I by no means,feel like I amd "settling for less." The more that I read and learned (and still do) about osteopathy the more that I feel it has beenthe right direction for me from the very beginning. A few reasons why I feel this way...

In my AMCAS essay I stated (sincerely, believe it or not)
"through personal experience and spending time with patients in both clinical and non-clinical environments, I have recognized that a great deal of medical care focuses primarily on the treatment of purely physiological problems. Undeniably, in circumstances involving emergent treatment, this approach is a necessary and effective course of action. However, I feel that just as the degree of severity of illness alters, recovery too, varies greatly....
I feel that although one of a physician's major focuses is the treatment of physical illness, attention to the care of the complete infdividual, including his or her unique mentality, proves to be a fundamental and particularly rewarding approach to medical care."

My entire essay and how I feel revolve aroung these ideas.

What is the best way to convey to DO schools that I am serious about osteopathy and becoming an informed and caring physician?

A few more facts about me..
I graduated a year ago (biology)
I am now working at an allopathic school (1 or the top 5) as a reasecrh associate. GPA 3.6 (both0, MCAT 27. EMT-basic certified.

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You are not alone. Many people have to reapply, and do so at osteopathic institutions. A school may ask why you did not "go DO" the first time. You can be honest and tell them that you had not been exposed to osteopathy before.
1. When you go to interview, tell the school what you know about osteopathy.

2. be enthusiastic about your choice to be a DO. please do not make it out like you "settling" for DO school. Many of us chose DO school.

3. find a D.O. and shadow him/her. You may find some experiences to compare/contrast osteopathic and allopathic medicine.

Contact a school and take a tour or meet with a student (if it is easy, area-wise) before you apply. Everyone that I mat at the osteo schools I interviewed at was very friendly and accommodating.

good luck to you.

You can try and attend conference such as the one that Western U-COMP does every year to further your understanding of osteopathic medicine..... Just be honest and show your sincerity... Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
What part of the country are you in? I know on the East coast fewer people know about/understand what a DO is or that there is a difference in the MD/DO.

As others have said....be honest. Explain that you have just been introduced to the subject and you agree with the fundamentals....If what you said in your essay is how you truly feel about medicine let that voice be heard in the essays. On most of the DO secondaries there is a section on why you want to be a DO.

Good luck and you are not too late. I know many people taking the AUg MCAT that haven't even started.

Good luck.

mmpp
I was in a similar boat as you. I was a research tech for 5 years before I got accepted.
My advice: Create a great essay.
I really think that made a difference for me. One of my bosses at work was an assistant chief of medicine and his advice regarding the essay seemed to make sense. If he read the first few lines and was unimpressed, it really set the tone for the whole essay. GRAB their attention quick!
You may want to check out the "essays that will get you into med school" book. It has some great essays in there and you will get an idea of how you can set yourself apart from others.
As far as the DO v. MD thing. It was a matter of philosophy for me. I hate to paint with a broad stroke but often allopathy treats symptoms. Osteopathy treats people (at least philisophically). I think that is beginning to change a bit though.
The book I read to get an idea of Osteopathy was called "The DOs". It's a quick read and a decent place to start.

Originally posted by slehrner:
•What part of the country are you in? I know on the East coast fewer people know about/understand what a DO is or that there is a difference in the MD/DO.•

I'm originally from California.... and trust me when I say that the general public on the west coast aren't familiar with DO's.... With TUCOM and COMP there, there has been some form of public relations going around but it's still not yet there....

I was often told that as one goes more towards the East, that there are more awareness regarding DO's.... I see this to be true because most of the Osteopathic medical schools are in the Midwest to the East coast.... SO, I'm not sure where you got that info? Then again, I think everyone in general aren't aware of the different degrees...

My uncle who works in New York knew more about DO's than my uncles and aunts in California.... Although this is anecdotal, I've seen that Michigan is a very welcoming state for DO's, for example....

Anyway, I don't really think it matters where you're from..... Just a thought

Originally posted by shep:
•The book I read to get an idea of Osteopathy was called "The DOs". It's a quick read and a decent place to start.•

The specific title of that book is:

The D.O.'s: Osteopathic Medicine in America
by Norman Gevitz

It's a must read for all future osteopathic med students.... it's probably require for most osteopathic medical schools for their students to read.... At DMU, we're actually told to read it for our first week in class.

Here's another book you may want to get your hands on:

Osteopathic Medicine: A Reformation in Progress
by R. Michael Gallagher, DO
and Frederick J. Humphrey, II, DO

Both books will be a great source of information for you.... The Gevitz book is more about history and struggle of the profession, the Gallagher/Humphrey is more of a textbook style stating the philosophy, current practices, and the future of profession as distinct from allopathic medicine.

Have fun.... I'm sure that's more answer than you've bargain for :D

One more thing.... IF you haven't yet, you might want to visit this website to help you with any future invitation for interviews:
www.interviewfeedback.com

Good luck, again

mmpp:
I was in somewhat of a similar situation as yours, I formulated my philosophy on med, my ideas, then learned about osteopathy and realized that my view of medicine coincided with osteopathic medicine! I was accepted this year to an osteopathic school, I had to reapply, since I was not accepted last year. One thing that I noticed during my interviews at DO schools was that I was frequently asked how many MD schools I applied to vs how many DO schools. I applied to an equal number of both, so it didn't come across as "I applied to 10 MD schools and 1 DO school for back up!". As other people were saying, just be sincere in what you believe, that is my best advice. For my interviews I would make a list of the osteopathic principles, and weave those into my story of "why I want to be a physician", and back those up with all the life-specific details. Shadowing with a DO is also a plus, and when you apply to DO schools, they will each ask you for a letter of recommendation from a DO, so make sure you have a supportive letter. Some will accept an MD letter, and I used an MD letter the first time applying, and didn't get much response interview-wise. I think reapplying with a DO letter helped me get interviews. Hopefully you'll get called from one of those wait-lists, but if not, then hang in there! It was very difficult to motivate myself to reapply, but it is all worth it once you are accepted! Good luck!