Yo! Yo! Yo!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

S-Mart

Employee of the Month
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a question and I wanted your feedback. I'm at a CC right now and I'm wondering if I should take my O-Chem before I transfer to a UC. I hear people on the premed forum saying that med schools don't value a pre req as much if you take it at a CC. Should I hold off and take it at a UC or just run with it now? I figured I'd ask you "official" docs seeing as premeds have a tendency to talk out of their asses - a task in which I actively participate. :cool: C'mon, help me out here guys...

Members don't see this ad.

OChem teaches you some valuable problem-solving skills. I wouldn't half-ass it at a CC.

-edit-
Oops, you wanted actual doctors to post, but I stand by my statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a question and I wanted your feedback. I'm at a CC right now and I'm wondering if I should take my O-Chem before I transfer to a UC. I hear people on the premed forum saying that med schools don't value a pre req as much if you take it at a CC. Should I hold off and take it at a UC or just run with it now? I figured I'd ask you "official" docs seeing as premeds have a tendency to talk out of their asses - a task in which I actively participate. :cool: C'mon, help me out here guys...

You are way, way out of your league. I don't even remember O-Chem, that was seriously over a decade ago for me. You'd be better off finding some first year medical students in the allopathic forum to ask. You will find that all the way through the pipeline the best advice on matters such as these comes from those just a year or two ahead of you. Now, if you have some questions about a career in military medicine (information those a year or two ahead of you won't know), fire away.

I'll echo what others have stated on this board. You are in the wrong forum to post this question. Hit the back button, find the forum titled "Pre-Allopathic" and then re-submit this question there. And yes, while pre-meds do talk out of their asses a lot, they are correct about the O-Chem. Some medical schools will not consider courses that are taken at community colleges.

I understand that I'm in the wrong forum here, I just wanted opinions from people with possible experience in the matter. So I guess I'll hold off until I get to a UC...? Well, what if the med school does accept the CC pre req? Wouldn't my MCAT score - assuming I do well - out weigh the fact that I took it at a CC?

I understand that I'm in the wrong forum here, I just wanted opinions from people with possible experience in the matter. So I guess I'll hold off until I get to a UC...?

If you go to a CC you have a 0.09% of being excepted to med school.

Edit: Yes, I'm from the pre-allo forum.

If you go to a CC you have a 0.09% of being excepted to med school.

Edit: Yes, I'm from the pre-allo forum.

If you use "excepted" when you mean accepted, then you have a 0.00009% chance of getting into med school;)

Edit: Yes, I can tell you're from the pre-allo forum... your voice sounded a little muffled.

You are way, way out of your league. I don't even remember O-Chem, that was seriously over a decade ago for me.

1982 for me.

At that time, NMR was only useful for identifying chemical compounds. MRI was a gleam in some brilliant engineer's mind.

Interestingly enough, as a practicing anesthesiologist since 1994, I have yet to utilize my deep knowledge of either chirality or nucleophilic substitution reactions. Ditto for my mad calculus sk1llz.

If you can snatch the AMFYOYO from my hand, and tell me what it means to PCS PDQ to the SWA AOR, then you have learned, Grasshopper. Until then, you might consider addressing your questions elsewhere, lest you be seen as an occupied orbital of the highest energy (highest occupied molecular orbital)...not that there's anything wrong with that.

--
R

Actually, the knowledge of chirality has helped me in a few cases... explaining the difference between Xopenex and regular Albuterol, for instance (parents sometimes want to know, believe it or not).

Explaining "racemic" Epi is another one.

Other than that, Organic is probably not that useful in everyday medicine*

*unless you're an amateur chemist on the side, or you're running a meth lab in your garage.

Organic = useless in medicine and medschool. Exception being racemic epi and xopenex as above.

If you get an A in Organic at a CC, it won't matter. If you get a C it will matter alot.

I took several of my prerequisite science classes at a CC while in SD on active duty. I can honestly say two of my toughest courses where at the CC. I later transfered to a four-year university.

You can very easily get into medschool if you have taken some courses at a CC.

If you can snatch the AMFYOYO from my hand, and tell me what it means to PCS PDQ to the SWA AOR, then you have learned, Grasshopper. Until then, you might consider addressing your questions elsewhere, lest you be seen as an occupied orbital of the highest energy (highest occupied molecular orbital)...not that there's anything wrong with that.

--
R

Does Permanent Change of Station Pretty Damn Quickly to the SouthWest Asian Area of Responsability sound about right?

Now if you can tell me how to properly set up a CBR Decon line and how many armed guards it takes to maintain an effective level of security... well, then I'll just give you a SCW pin right here...;)

Again, I know I'm in the wrong forum... I'd much rather hear the opinions of AD/Veterans. For some reason they seem to know so much more than 20yo premeds whose life experience seems to equate to cashing mommy's check and spewing out false info....AKA Beatrixkiddo up there.:cool:

Organic = useless in medicine and medschool. Exception being racemic epi and xopenex as above.

If you get an A in Organic at a CC, it won't matter. If you get a C it will matter alot.

I took several of my prerequisite science classes at a CC while in SD on active duty. I can honestly say two of my toughest courses where at the CC. I later transfered to a four-year university.

You can very easily get into medschool if you have taken some courses at a CC.

Thanks for the info edinOH. Now all I have to do is get an A....

speaking of Beatrixkiddo, am I the only one who saw that "PM me to get dirty on cam" and said "WTH?"

Sheesh... I really don't think this is that kind of forum.

Actually, the knowledge of chirality has helped me in a few cases... explaining the difference between Xopenex and regular Albuterol, for instance (parents sometimes want to know, believe it or not).

Explaining "racemic" Epi is another one.

You're right. I sit corrected. I just like to use the word "chirality"...it's almost as cool as chthonic.

Another example: the formerly-marketed "Chirocaine" (levobupivacaine).

--
R
Usually willing to admit when he's wrong...

P.S. Don't PM me to get dirty on cam. Really. Just stop. I've had enough.

P.S. Don't PM me to get dirty on cam. Really. Just stop. I've had enough.

I must confess... I LOL'd :laugh:

Some of my pre-med classmates in college and some of my non-traditional classmates in med school took several courses at their first schools and transferred the grades to qualify under their bachelor's degree with the same grade. If the undergrad institution didn't have a problem with it, the med schools didn't have a problem with it, particularly if the MCAT and rest of the app was solid. A few people even audited tougher courses before "taking them for real."