47 yo internal medicine hospitalist/nocturnist with “basic” critical care skills considering joining Air Force Active Duty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the_world_has_gone_mad

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for this very lengthy post, but any input/advice/opinion/help from the group would be highly appreciated.

To start off: I am a first time poster and if you had told me on February 23rd this year that I would be writing this post on the SDN ‘military medicine’ forum I would have told you that I must have gone totally crazy and that I need to be involuntarily admitted to inpatient psych – BUT as the world has gone mad the next day here I am – someone with NO MILITRY EXPERIENCE/AMBITION/WHATSOVER considering e-mailing an Air Force Healthcare recruiter…

I am not here to highlight what has lead me to this personal “Ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” moment but I guess I need to provide some background info about myself for people to be perhaps able to give me better advice. Born in (West)-Germany to a (non-military) US-citizen father and Czech mother. Lived in Texas for a short time as a toddler and went to pre-school there before being back to Germany where I grew up and finished high school before studying medicine in Prague in the Czech Republic in the mid/end 1990’s. Then moved to NYC right after medical school in 2001 and did my internal medicine residency there and after some detours via basic cardiology research and a four year stint as a physician at a pharmaceutical company in Copenhagen/Denmark, I then ‘went back’ to clinical hospital based medicine at a small German island hospital (mostly to get my US Internal Medicine Board Certification recognized in Germany/Europe) for two and a half years before I ended up in Hawai‘i working as a hospitalist/nocturnist full time for the last eight years (community based neighbor island hospitals (60-90 beds) with open 7-9 bed ICU’s without any intensivists, with myself and the ED physician being in practical terms the only doctors available at night – i.e. very little subspecialty back-up).

So basically someone with a quite ‘non-linear’ CV who given the now completely changed global/European security situation feels the (sudden and unexpected…- and yes everyone of you who is serving or has served is of course more than welcome to judge me on that part…) moral obligation to at least ‘make myself available’ with my skill set if needed mainly because

1. If my miniscule contribution as an individual (and parent) may lead to more security for everyone (+ my kids) in the future I guess now is the time to do so. [I do not have any ‘heroism’ ambitions here and I am fully aware that I will only be a tiny ‘cog in the wheel’ of a huge military machinery and this is fully OK]. Alternatively if ‘things’ should ‘start hitting the fan’ even more than today [which unfortunately personally I am convinced that the risk of is much higher than a lot of people currently still think…] it would at least allow me to be in a small position to actively try to assure that we end up being the side who ‘looses less’ than the other side [I am deliberately writing this in this way as it is my deepest personal conviction is that no war is ever ‘won’ but that in the end there is just one side who looses more than the other…of course I am aware that I will have to switch to the official "Aim High, Fly-Fight-Win" slogan and that the prior can only be my private unvoiced opinion going forward].

2. As a US foreign medical graduate with ties to Europe as outlined above who owes his medical career to the largest part to my US internal medicine residency training (and no medical school debt as I ‘used’ the European system for that…) it goes against my sense of fairness and equitable distribution of risk to ‘turf’ the inherent risk of the current situation on a younger colleague from Kansas without any ties to Europe who joined the military on a HPSP scholarship because this (in the US system) was the only way she or he could ‘afford’ becoming a physician. The European ‘part’ of me has to fully acknowledge that I am at least partially co-responsible for this situation by being naïve and dumb and underinvesting in (+ undervaluing) military in the European context until 2/24/2022.

OK – enough of all the ‘(pseudo-)philosophical’ thoughts and just briefly ‘why Air Force as a branch’ before I get to my list of questions which I have despite doing my ‘google due diligence’:

1. Guess I am not eligible age wise to join AD in any other branch of the US military? (I will be turning 47 in May 2022)

2. I did always have a certain fascination with flying / planes (the passenger jet type… not military ones…) guess from spending a lot of time as a toddler going back and forth between the US and Germany when we lived in Texas for a while.

3. OK – I know the following is very sarcastic and cynical … [but this is (unfortunately) part of my personality which I guess I will have to strongly suppress if I do end up joining the Air Force]: In case a ‘mishap’ (guess from what I can tell this is the official Air Force lingo…. – a very poetic word choice…) should happen at least it is over and done more or less instantaneously… not that one has a choice but personally I prefer not to have a ‘Titanic’ or ‘Gladiator’ type of ending if I can have any influence on that….

So here my questions and if anyone can help with these (of course feel free to provide any sort of feedback on the above as well…) that would be great – some things might of course be classified information and nobody will be able to answer them which I fully understand.

A. How at all would I “fit” in with the ‘medical corp’ team given the info you have on me above? Guess the ‘accession’ route I would be choosing is not at all common in the military and the current impression I have from my ‘due diligence’ (and perhaps I am completely and totally wrong – this is just a total ‘outsider’ impression based on google searches…) is that there might be two ‘general’ groups in the medical corp: the group of relatively recent residency graduates who ‘do their payback’ time and then ‘get out as soon as possible’ and then the ‘long term military career physicians’ who likely have very strong idealistic military family traditions coming from USU who – very rightfully so (because they devoted their entire life to this) – are in the leadership positions [again just to remind everyone that I am someone with NO MILITARY WHATSOEVER … I have never held a ‘real gun’ in my hands in my life so far….] . I guess my ‘civilian-turned-military’ situation is a total ‘odd-ball’ one … Would I just be perceived as ‘totally insane’ by the ‘get out as soon as possible group’ for doing this at age 47 and/or likely perceived more as a ‘liability’ than a ‘help’ by the ‘long term military career physician group'? I am fully aware that whoever answers this will do so with their personal opinion which might not be generalizable but I really am looking for as cathartic (for me) and honest answers here as possible… (i.e. just punch me in the gut….).

B. What will I actually likely end up doing in AD with my skill profile above? Of course I fully understand that I have no control whatsoever on what I will be ordered to do in an AD situation and if my job will end up doing more ‘outpatient / occupational health internal medicine’ somewhere on a base in North Dakota so it is … (again I am totally fine at this stage of my life to be ‘just a cog in the wheel’ as I do not have any sort of ‘pressure’ of ‘skill atrophy’ some younger / not internal medicine type colleagues might have+I also really do not have any sort of military career ambitions). From a professional skill set it would be easiest for me just to continue working as a nocturnist with ‘basic ICU’ responsibilities – but does the MHS have hospitalists/nocturnists at all? Anyone knows if Landstuhl in Germany uses nocturnists covering their ICU at night? How ‘competitive’ is Landstuhl (and would I be at all part of that team as it is primarily run by the Army I guess if I am Air Force)? Would me being fluent in German be seen as an asset there – guess from what I found on google they are trying to collaborate with the surrounding civil German system and my German language skills could potentially be helpful in such setting if e.g. patient needs to be transferred to a German civil hospital for care which cannot be done at Landstuhl? Or would my 'German background' be more seen as a 'liability'?

C. How are ICU’s ‘run’ in the MHS – especially in the smaller facilities? Clearly, I AM NOT A FELLOWSHIP TRAINED CRITICAL CARE physician but I have taken care of mostly ‘bread and butter’ ICU patients very much on my own for the last eight years (intubated, septic on pressors, hypothermia protocol after cardiac arrest – I am comfortable intubating patients with a Glidescope and doing IJ and femoral central lines with ultrasound guidance – BUT no ‘advanced ICU’ skills like CVVH and ECMO – we have to transfer patients to Honolulu for this) … of course these are in the vast majority medical with the occasional post-op surgical patient who comes up from the PACU and very, very rarely the co-managed ‘too sick to fly out to Hawai‘i’s only level 1 trauma center - Queens Medical Center’ trauma patients (which unfortunately most of the time of course end up dying….). Clearly in the large MHS facilities I would not be the right person to work in a large 20+ bed specialized trauma / burn ICU – but how are the ICU’s in the smaller facilities manned?

D. Would I potentially ‘qualify’ to become part of an Air Force CCATT team with my ‘basic critical care’ skills or is this usually reserved for fully fellowship trained critical care physicians / anaesthesia / surgery? Looked at their requirements and clearly I would need to complete an ATLS course and also learn how to put in chest tubes + complete the really great training they are offering … but in some way looking at their info I can imagine myself getting a ‘feel cool’ feeling from being part of that team… - but I guess they are quite competitive?

E. Thanks to the already mentioned time at a large pharmaceutical company I know that I am a Myer-Briggs INTP-A…. (it might be surprising to some but at least the pharmaceutical company I worked in was very invested in making sure they ‘optimize’ the composition of the teams they have and as a physician you are definitely not ‘the top of the hierarchy’ as you are at least ‘perceived’ in a more clinical hospital setting...). However with this personality type I am clearly not what can be considered a ‘natural leader’… I do feel however that in the ‘civilian’ sector I am doing quite an OK job (at least I am told so by everyone) with “my” overnight team of nurses, RT’s etc. in ‘holding the fort down at night’. Now I guess this is a question which is not at all generalizable but what are the ‘leadership’ expectations from a ‘military MD’ from the ‘military RN’s’, ‘military RTs’ etc. in a clinical setting – is this fundamentally different than in the civilian sector? The main reason I am asking this is that basically the only ‘real conflict’ I ever have had with a RN the last eight years happened to be with a male ex-Army ICU RN (who BTW also has ‘issues’ with almost all his peer ‘civilian’ RN’s) (I never ever had any issue with my ex-Army ER night doctor counterpart….). Is there something like the expectation of a more (for the lack of a better word) ‘aggressive’ leadership style in the military than in the civilian sector? Is a ‘buy-in / consensus’ leadership style in the clinical setting in military medicine adequate at all or will this more or less be perceived as a ‘leadership deficiency’ which (in case of the ICU RN mentioned above) leads to ‘permanent questioning of my clinical competency’ situation?

F. How ‘bad’ is Officer Training Abbreviated? Clearly I will likely be in the total ‘odd-ball’ category there due to my age alone and although I think that I will definitely not enjoy my time I am totally ‘getting’ that this is a necessary, important and indispensable step (at the minimum out of respect to the enlisted members who have to go through basic training) and I will simple get through this and make the best out of it…. But what is the best ‘mindset’ to approach this and get through those 5 ½ weeks?

G. Any tips how to contact an Air Force Health care recruiter in my particular situation – should I send a long e-mail with some of the info above? Call? Make an appointment and show up in person??

Thanks for everyone’s time and help in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry for this very lengthy post, but any input/advice/opinion/help from the group would be highly appreciated.

You win the prize this year for longest posts. With the exception of a few places, ICUs in the MHS are a joke. Low census, low acuity . . .nothing like what you're used to seeing in the civilian world.

Consider the reserves, not full time active duty. You can keep your civilian gig and put on a uniform once a month to play soldier/sailor/airman.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks so much for your input. Perhaps I got the wrong info from google - but what about my age for the reserves? Am I not considered too old with 47 for the reserves considering my 'non-prior service' status? Or are there 'age waivers' for MDs for the reserve components?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for your input. Perhaps I got the wrong info from google - but what about my age for the reserves? Am I not considered too old with 47 for the reserves considering my 'non-prior service' status? Or are there 'age waivers' for MDs for the reserve components?

There are waivers for both AD and reserves, the recruiters would not more.

BTW, all of the MTF ICUs are 'closed'. (they're not that busy . . . you'll never see the necessity of an open ICU, like you see in the civilian world, where ICUs are overflowing with >25 patients). So if you're not formally CC trained, you likely wont be doing anything in the ICU.

To start off: I am a first time poster and if you had told me on February 23rd this year that I would be writing this post on the SDN ‘military medicine’ forum I would have told you that I must have gone totally crazy and that I need to be involuntarily admitted to inpatient psych – BUT as the world has gone mad the next day here I am – someone with NO MILITRY EXPERIENCE/AMBITION/WHATSOVER considering e-mailing an Air Force Healthcare recruiter…

I am not here to highlight what has lead me to this personal “Ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” moment but I guess I need to provide some background info about myself for people to be perhaps able to give me better advice. Born in (West)-Germany to a (non-military) US-citizen father and Czech mother. Lived in Texas for a short time as a toddler and went to pre-school there before being back to Germany where I grew up and finished high school before studying medicine in Prague in the Czech Republic in the mid/end 1990’s. Then moved to NYC right after medical school in 2001 and did my internal medicine residency there and after some detours via basic cardiology research and a four year stint as a physician at a pharmaceutical company in Copenhagen/Denmark, I then ‘went back’ to clinical hospital based medicine at a small German island hospital (mostly to get my US Internal Medicine Board Certification recognized in Germany/Europe) for two and a half years before I ended up in Hawai‘i working as a hospitalist/nocturnist full time for the last eight years (community based neighbor island hospitals (60-90 beds) with open 7-9 bed ICU’s without any intensivists, with myself and the ED physician being in practical terms the only doctors available at night – i.e. very little subspecialty back-up).

So basically someone with a quite ‘non-linear’ CV who given the now completely changed global/European security situation feels the (sudden and unexpected…- and yes everyone of you who is serving or has served is of course more than welcome to judge me on that part…) moral obligation to at least ‘make myself available’ with my skill set if needed mainly because

1. If my miniscule contribution as an individual (and parent) may lead to more security for everyone (+ my kids) in the future I guess now is the time to do so. [I do not have any ‘heroism’ ambitions here and I am fully aware that I will only be a tiny ‘cog in the wheel’ of a huge military machinery and this is fully OK]. Alternatively if ‘things’ should ‘start hitting the fan’ even more than today [which unfortunately personally I am convinced that the risk of is much higher than a lot of people currently still think…] it would at least allow me to be in a small position to actively try to assure that we end up being the side who ‘looses less’ than the other side [I am deliberately writing this in this way as it is my deepest personal conviction is that no war is ever ‘won’ but that in the end there is just one side who looses more than the other…of course I am aware that I will have to switch to the official "Aim High, Fly-Fight-Win" slogan and that the prior can only be my private unvoiced opinion going forward].

2. As a US foreign medical graduate with ties to Europe as outlined above who owes his medical career to the largest part to my US internal medicine residency training (and no medical school debt as I ‘used’ the European system for that…) it goes against my sense of fairness and equitable distribution of risk to ‘turf’ the inherent risk of the current situation on a younger colleague from Kansas without any ties to Europe who joined the military on a HPSP scholarship because this (in the US system) was the only way she or he could ‘afford’ becoming a physician. The European ‘part’ of me has to fully acknowledge that I am at least partially co-responsible for this situation by being naïve and dumb and underinvesting in (+ undervaluing) military in the European context until 2/24/2022.

OK – enough of all the ‘(pseudo-)philosophical’ thoughts and just briefly ‘why Air Force as a branch’ before I get to my list of questions which I have despite doing my ‘google due diligence’:

1. Guess I am not eligible age wise to join AD in any other branch of the US military? (I will be turning 47 in May 2022)

2. I did always have a certain fascination with flying / planes (the passenger jet type… not military ones…) guess from spending a lot of time as a toddler going back and forth between the US and Germany when we lived in Texas for a while.

3. OK – I know the following is very sarcastic and cynical … [but this is (unfortunately) part of my personality which I guess I will have to strongly suppress if I do end up joining the Air Force]: In case a ‘mishap’ (guess from what I can tell this is the official Air Force lingo…. – a very poetic word choice…) should happen at least it is over and done more or less instantaneously… not that one has a choice but personally I prefer not to have a ‘Titanic’ or ‘Gladiator’ type of ending if I can have any influence on that….

So here my questions and if anyone can help with these (of course feel free to provide any sort of feedback on the above as well…) that would be great – some things might of course be classified information and nobody will be able to answer them which I fully understand.

A. How at all would I “fit” in with the ‘medical corp’ team given the info you have on me above? Guess the ‘accession’ route I would be choosing is not at all common in the military and the current impression I have from my ‘due diligence’ (and perhaps I am completely and totally wrong – this is just a total ‘outsider’ impression based on google searches…) is that there might be two ‘general’ groups in the medical corp: the group of relatively recent residency graduates who ‘do their payback’ time and then ‘get out as soon as possible’ and then the ‘long term military career physicians’ who likely have very strong idealistic military family traditions coming from USU who – very rightfully so (because they devoted their entire life to this) – are in the leadership positions [again just to remind everyone that I am someone with NO MILITARY WHATSOEVER … I have never held a ‘real gun’ in my hands in my life so far….] . I guess my ‘civilian-turned-military’ situation is a total ‘odd-ball’ one … Would I just be perceived as ‘totally insane’ by the ‘get out as soon as possible group’ for doing this at age 47 and/or likely perceived more as a ‘liability’ than a ‘help’ by the ‘long term military career physician group'? I am fully aware that whoever answers this will do so with their personal opinion which might not be generalizable but I really am looking for as cathartic (for me) and honest answers here as possible… (i.e. just punch me in the gut….).

B. What will I actually likely end up doing in AD with my skill profile above? Of course I fully understand that I have no control whatsoever on what I will be ordered to do in an AD situation and if my job will end up doing more ‘outpatient / occupational health internal medicine’ somewhere on a base in North Dakota so it is … (again I am totally fine at this stage of my life to be ‘just a cog in the wheel’ as I do not have any sort of ‘pressure’ of ‘skill atrophy’ some younger / not internal medicine type colleagues might have+I also really do not have any sort of military career ambitions). From a professional skill set it would be easiest for me just to continue working as a nocturnist with ‘basic ICU’ responsibilities – but does the MHS have hospitalists/nocturnists at all? Anyone knows if Landstuhl in Germany uses nocturnists covering their ICU at night? How ‘competitive’ is Landstuhl (and would I be at all part of that team as it is primarily run by the Army I guess if I am Air Force)? Would me being fluent in German be seen as an asset there – guess from what I found on google they are trying to collaborate with the surrounding civil German system and my German language skills could potentially be helpful in such setting if e.g. patient needs to be transferred to a German civil hospital for care which cannot be done at Landstuhl? Or would my 'German background' be more seen as a 'liability'?

C. How are ICU’s ‘run’ in the MHS – especially in the smaller facilities? Clearly, I AM NOT A FELLOWSHIP TRAINED CRITICAL CARE physician but I have taken care of mostly ‘bread and butter’ ICU patients very much on my own for the last eight years (intubated, septic on pressors, hypothermia protocol after cardiac arrest – I am comfortable intubating patients with a Glidescope and doing IJ and femoral central lines with ultrasound guidance – BUT no ‘advanced ICU’ skills like CVVH and ECMO – we have to transfer patients to Honolulu for this) … of course these are in the vast majority medical with the occasional post-op surgical patient who comes up from the PACU and very, very rarely the co-managed ‘too sick to fly out to Hawai‘i’s only level 1 trauma center - Queens Medical Center’ trauma patients (which unfortunately most of the time of course end up dying….). Clearly in the large MHS facilities I would not be the right person to work in a large 20+ bed specialized trauma / burn ICU – but how are the ICU’s in the smaller facilities manned?

D. Would I potentially ‘qualify’ to become part of an Air Force CCATT team with my ‘basic critical care’ skills or is this usually reserved for fully fellowship trained critical care physicians / anaesthesia / surgery? Looked at their requirements and clearly I would need to complete an ATLS course and also learn how to put in chest tubes + complete the really great training they are offering … but in some way looking at their info I can imagine myself getting a ‘feel cool’ feeling from being part of that team… - but I guess they are quite competitive?

E. Thanks to the already mentioned time at a large pharmaceutical company I know that I am a Myer-Briggs INTP-A…. (it might be surprising to some but at least the pharmaceutical company I worked in was very invested in making sure they ‘optimize’ the composition of the teams they have and as a physician you are definitely not ‘the top of the hierarchy’ as you are at least ‘perceived’ in a more clinical hospital setting...). However with this personality type I am clearly not what can be considered a ‘natural leader’… I do feel however that in the ‘civilian’ sector I am doing quite an OK job (at least I am told so by everyone) with “my” overnight team of nurses, RT’s etc. in ‘holding the fort down at night’. Now I guess this is a question which is not at all generalizable but what are the ‘leadership’ expectations from a ‘military MD’ from the ‘military RN’s’, ‘military RTs’ etc. in a clinical setting – is this fundamentally different than in the civilian sector? The main reason I am asking this is that basically the only ‘real conflict’ I ever have had with a RN the last eight years happened to be with a male ex-Army ICU RN (who BTW also has ‘issues’ with almost all his peer ‘civilian’ RN’s) (I never ever had any issue with my ex-Army ER night doctor counterpart….). Is there something like the expectation of a more (for the lack of a better word) ‘aggressive’ leadership style in the military than in the civilian sector? Is a ‘buy-in / consensus’ leadership style in the clinical setting in military medicine adequate at all or will this more or less be perceived as a ‘leadership deficiency’ which (in case of the ICU RN mentioned above) leads to ‘permanent questioning of my clinical competency’ situation?

F. How ‘bad’ is Officer Training Abbreviated? Clearly I will likely be in the total ‘odd-ball’ category there due to my age alone and although I think that I will definitely not enjoy my time I am totally ‘getting’ that this is a necessary, important and indispensable step (at the minimum out of respect to the enlisted members who have to go through basic training) and I will simple get through this and make the best out of it…. But what is the best ‘mindset’ to approach this and get through those 5 ½ weeks?

G. Any tips how to contact an Air Force Health care recruiter in my particular situation – should I send a long e-mail with some of the info above? Call? Make an appointment and show up in person??

Thanks for everyone’s time and help in advance!!

Wow that was long to read.

As another has said, keep your current civilian gig. If you want to join to "do your part" then contact the Air National Guard or Air Force Reserves medical recruiters. Both have physician slots you could fill. It would be 1 weekend a month (sometimes 3 days, sometimes 2 days) and annual training (2-3 weeks per year). At your age you can still get an age waiver. AD might be too big of a shift in thinking and life at age 46 almost 47, but reserves/ANG wouldn't be too bad.

Reactions: 1 users
Though IM is listed as an acceptable substitution for a CCM physician in the CCATT regulations, you would probably have a hard time joining a CCATT as an active duty IM physician with no CC fellowship. There are likely Reserve and Guard CCAT teams that need a physician and would accept an IM physician with CC experience.

I read most of it, but yeah I think you’re crazy.

Military is very slow pace the majority of the time. So if you are wanting to be a go getter and do some good for the world and your country just realize the complete opposite might happen in the military and all you will be wanting to do is get out.

I admire your thoughtfulness, but I’m certain there will be a draft if WWIII breaks out. I agree that reserves is probably the way to go. On a separate note, myers-briggs is categorical and not very reliable. The big five personality test is far more usable.

Most people in the military are reasonable, but you find jerks everywhere regardless of military status.

Thanks so much for everyone's input and pointing me in the direction of the reserves. Looking at the info on the relevant websites (which I had not at all looked at previously...) this definitely looks like 'the way to go'. Scheduling wise this is definitely actually very doable with a 'regular' civilian hospitalist/nocturnist schedule in the mostly used 7 on/7 off model or its slight variations.

Now: Any practical advice how to actually contact a recruiter in 'my situation'? (Way, way, way too long e-mail? Phone call? Set up an in-person meeting? - given that the last possibility carries the real risk that she or he might drive me to the next psych ER... (oops here it is again my sarcasm/cynism...)

Reactions: 1 user
It’s very simple. You go online and find an Air Force reserve healthcare recruiter near you. Type in google. Then you call them and then go in to the office and talk to them. You don’t send them a long email. Don’t do that. They don’t care why you want to join, only that you want to and qualify.

Then you fill out a bunch of paperwork and long forms, do some physical assessments and go to MEPs. Then you qualify and pass background checks, etc. It takes some time. You then sign an 8 year contract and eventually get a unit and attend training.

Next you drill monthly which consists of basically doing nothing and banging your head against the wall for many hours. Next you will find out every form you filled out was lost and you don’t get the rank or assignment you signed up for. Then you sign up and volunteer for as many missions as you like and your civilian provider will love it. Do that for 6+ years and decide if you want to go IRR or stay in.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Thanks a lot for all the input.

1. Fully get it - so basically - pick up the phone and say "Hello, I'm Dr. so-and-so. I'm a board certified internist with some critical care experience and I'm interested in joining the Air Force Reserve. Would you have time to meet with me in person mam/sir?" and then let the recruiter do the talking - correct?

2. How does it work with required training in the reserves? I assume this is on 'your own time and dime'? Let's say hypothetically: my 'basic' ICU experience is considered sufficient to qualify me as a CCATT team physician and whoever my commander in the unit is agrees to this-then it is up to me to find time (and money?) to complete the two (two weeks each?) required CCATT courses (+ATLS in my case) to be able to fulfill that role in addition to the monthly/yearly reserve commitment above - correct?

Thanks a lot!

Yes, just don’t be weird about it.

I’m still not sure why you want to join now and I don’t feel like you fully get what the military will be like.

I’m curious, It sounds like you lived in NYC during residency starting 2001. That would have put you during 9/11. We then went to several wars over many years. You said you had no prior military ambitions in the past before the last few weeks. So I’m just trying to understand Why do you want to join now as opposed to back then when you were younger and some major events happened in the US.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks so much for your curiosity. As I wrote in my original post I really did not want to highlight all the personal reasons for this decision (wasn't the original post long enough already...?) but I appreciate you scrutinizing me on this - as honestly I was quite clear to me that this very legitimate question would come up sooner or later.

But before I sit down and type all this up during the upcoming weekend - just three things:

1. Please be prepared that this will be a long post. In a way it is my personal point of view that one of the main problems in today's world is that we (as internet and smartphone addicted human beings) expect simple maximum two sentence answers (or posts) to very complex issues where we either really do not know the answer at all or were there is no 'binary' (right or wrong - like/dislike) answer to the question but multiple ones or only 'more bad' or 'less bad' answers.

2. There might be things in the post that you possibly could disagree with ... I just want to make sure that we both have the understanding that this is completely OK and adequate in a pluralistic society and we do not interpret that as a personal "attack" as this will never be the case.

3. At this point you do know a bit more about me than I do about you as a person (thanks to my prior extremely long post...). Not that this will alter my answer to your question above, but just perhaps tell me a little more about yourself first? As you correctly deducted I was in NYC on 9/11 (on my second week of my first ambulatory care block during internship ... walking into my morning medicine clinic around 8:55 when the pictures/news of 'a small plane just crashed into the World Trade Center' appeared on the TV in the patients waiting room... saying to the clerk at the front desk 'I do not think that this was just a small plane.' and then spending the next more than one and a half hours in an exam room (without TV) trying to get the grasp on a typical internal medicine 'poly-trauma' patient (10 inch paper chart, BMI 45, HTN, CKD III with an open leg wound who needed 20 (at that time ...) paper scripts and three (paper) referrals - and who kept asking me if I know what all those codes mean that kept coming over the hospital PA system...then opening the door of the exam room and being told by one of the second year residents 'they are gone'... But enough - think it is perhaps time to listen to you now ... just to understand what other moments of 'lived history' we share (Seeing the Berlin Wall "fall" on live German TV as a 14 yo? Watching on live TV how the CNN reporters in Jerusalem were putting on gas masks during Saddam Hussein's Scud missile attacks during the first Gulf War??) - and those we do not. Just think it is perhaps best to first listen to / read a bit about you (and I am quite confident that you can do this in a much shorter post than me...), than continuing my monologue, which honestly has to just bore everyone ....

I think the goal of the question was to just think about it some more. Obviously none of us know each other here and that is what makes the forum work the way it does.

There is really no reason that you need to state out your personal reasons. You don’t need to justify why you want to join except to yourself. We just want to make sure your decision isn’t rushed any you end up regretting it.

Personally I have been enlisted and officer in the reserves for 14 years. I am actually on my way out and feel like I have done enough. I think the military is great for the right people and I did mostly enjoy it at times. But, I do not like being a reservists and also being a physician. I am too busy and the reserve weekends are just annoying at this point and I live too far away from my unit. If I lived closer it might be more enjoyable. But I’m also not a hospitalist and don’t work shifts and am on call for half the weekends of the year. So that may make it easier for you.

Some people like active duty better for some of those reasons. You can just focus on the military then and not on 2 different careers. There are also a lot of downsides to that. It depends what you want to do. If you really want the full military experience then active duty is your only way. Eventually you can get out and head to the reserves if you want to.

Thanks so much for all you have done! Will spare both of us the lengthy essay then and just do the 'executive summary' (still a bit long) and then ask some questions if that is OK.

At its core my decision is based on the need of equitable distribution of burden/risk within society.

What I can tell you as a 'split personality American/European' is that currently the ONLY reason that Putin's tanks have not yet rolled into my in-laws backyard in Vilnius, or bombs have been dropped on the hospitals my peers from medical school are working in in Prague, or rockets destroyed the schools of the kids of my high-school friends in Munich is the US military.

That it is the US military that ended up with this task today is the result of a more or less pan-European 'extremist pacifism' (which personally I am completely complicit in!) [of course historically there was a need for this for Germany after WW2; in case of the Czech Republic it was more a 'rational' futility decision after the Czechoslovak military just surrendering twice within 30 years [1938 Nazi-Germany, 1968 Soviet block] - really hard to get people living in a 'at the wrong place at the wrong time' country to buy into supporting a 'military' with such a historical 'track record'/ 'return-of-investment']. The 'European' part of me realizing this on February 24th this year personally has been by far the most bitter pill I had to swallow in my life (and although I can only speak for myself I think this holds true for the majority of Europeans today).

In order to do its task the US military relies on volunarily enlisted servicemen who are now being deployed to Europe (which for most of them will be 'far away from home'). The least thing my 'American' part can do in the current situation is to 'in the ideal case' - if my skill set is deemed sufficient enough (which I believe it is) by the USAF - become part of a team that is responsible for getting these servicemen 'back home in one piece' if they get sick or injured while doing that, and/or perform any other task within my skill set that just needs to be done in order to do a minimal contribution to the organization currently guaranteeing the above as a whole. Because why should you (who has done 14 years already) be asked to get onto that noisy, cold and uncomfortable cargo plane for 20+ hours (with its inherent risks of 'mishaps' happening) when you could be home with your family - which is what I mean with the 'equitable distribution of burden/risk' - rather than myself who (at least from an 'ideologic' perspective - the 'extremist pacifism' thing above...) is at least partially responsible for the current situation in Europe?

OK - now some questions if I may:

1. What would an internal medicine doctor like me actually realistically end up doing during those drill weekend (of course if this is info which can be shared)? (again as stated above I do feel that I would be 'clinically' competent enough for being a CCATT team member based on the material I found doing my 'google due diligence') ... yes the environment is very different - but I do know how to use my ICU drugs and vents etc. after doing this for eight years ....) - BUT I know that I will likely be asked to do something completely different... - physical exams / paperwork / something completely different ?

2. Are those weekends 'known in advance'? Again I'm a nocturnist with a schedule which makes things much more 'planable' and in a a way easier than for someone like you in a more traditional 'practice' setting with 'call' in addition to other private practice duties.

3. You mentioned you lived too far away from your unit. What does that mean in practical terms? How far is too far? Although I am currently still living in Hawaii, I will be actually 'returning' back to NYC in summer this year [which has nothing to do with the current situation - planned that since the end of last year due to primarily the kids schooling). What is the actual base for NYC? And a 'typical' NYC question ... sorry ... do you need a private car "during" the actual drill weekend? Or just to get to the base and back home? I know its very NYC - we had actually planned to not have a car in the city....

Thanks so much for all your support!!

I’ll let other people take over if they have anything else to add.

But, I would like to mention that at this time the US isn’t in a war in Europe currently that I am aware of. The best, and hopefully most likely, scenario is that this fighting will end before you even attended basic officers training (but who knows). You won’t be deployable or mission ready until you complete basic training. Also your unit of assignment may not have a mission to get involved even if things escalate. You can’t predict the military and its goals may not be your goals. So if you sign up just be satisfied if you end up in Texas doing sick call or something completely unrelated to what you hope to do.

That’s all I have to offer. Best of luck.

Yes I know that brevity is not really a strength of me ... but you will likely not believe that my H&Ps are actually on the 'shorter' side when compared to other partners in my current group ... but your statement actually brings me to a separate question - is there a difference between the documentation purpose in the MHS compared to the civilian world? In the end on the civilian side clinical documentation is not only that but in the end also a 'malpractice defense document', but even more so a 'billing document' where you have to follow all those CMS rules to 'justify' your billing - and (on the inpatient side) things are of course even made worse by all the CDI initiatives to make sure DRG and CMI are maximized for the hospital....

It’s very simple. You go online and find an Air Force reserve healthcare recruiter near you. Type in google. Then you call them and then go in to the office and talk to them. You don’t send them a long email. Don’t do that. They don’t care why you want to join, only that you want to and qualify.

Then you fill out a bunch of paperwork and long forms, do some physical assessments and go to MEPs. Then you qualify and pass background checks, etc. It takes some time. You then sign an 8 year contract and eventually get a unit and attend training.

Next you drill monthly which consists of basically doing nothing and banging your head against the wall for many hours. Next you will find out every form you filled out was lost and you don’t get the rank or assignment you signed up for. Then you sign up and volunteer for as many missions as you like and your civilian provider will love it. Do that for 6+ years and decide if you want to go IRR or stay in.

Accurate.

Reactions: 1 user