Yet another 'what are my chances?'

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajtrau

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are my stats:
3.5 UG GPA, 3.4 science
29M on MCAT (10BS, 9PS, 10VR)
During college (grad. 2005) my EC's were 500+ hours clinical volunteering/shadowing, Two years research (no pubs), Two years as president of Biological Honor Society, various other non-clinical volunteering
Post UG EC's: Volunteering with Red Cross as part of a disaster response team, working as a medical assistant in ER (my current job), medical volunteer trip to south america in the works right now and I also plan to start volunteering at a free clinic in my city soon.

Why can't I get into med school?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

1) Apply to more schools this time around.
2) Read up on how to interview most effectively.
3) 30 is the "magic score" to get for non-minority students. So consider re-taking the MCAT.
4) Did I mention- learn how to interview very effectively. If you get an interview aim to impress without seeming too cocky, and you will get in.

(my credentials: I was an interviewer several times at my school)

Why can't I get into med school?:confused:

a low GPA and so-so MCAT. Raise your MCAT a few points, and/or raise your Science GPA by .3; also, raise your overall GPA by .2

Members don't see this ad :)
40.783983123932499821349851239123498% +/- .0000000000000000000000000000000009%

Apply to DO school and bypass all the retaking things over. I agree with learning to interview effectively. You want to be confident without being cocky. And don't be wishywashy with your answers. Be sure about what you want to say.

a low GPA and so-so MCAT. Raise your MCAT a few points, and/or raise your Science GPA by .3; also, raise your overall GPA by .2

A 3.4/3.5 is not low! Look at the OPs outta control ECs...I would guess the problem might not lie so much in the numbers, but something like essays/PS or interview skills?