yet another "please help me rank" thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

palliate

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I used to be somewhat sceptical when people turned to others to help them finalize ROL. Now I know exactly how it feels! Please help me rank these programs of mine, main criteria being strength of the program and reputation. I am planning to go into hem-onc.

1.Drexel
2.UMass
3.Penn State, Hershey
4.Stony Brook
5.UMDNJ, Newark
6.Lahey clinic

Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Lahey doesn't have a Heme-Onc fellowship, and I believe the rest do. They are in the process of building a multi-disciplinary cancer center, but probably won't be done in your time there. Also Lahey doesn't have very strong matches in Heme-Onc. So I'd put that one near the bottom.

thank you for your reply! I guess you are right about Lahey, though I really enjoyed my day there. Any opinion on how the rest of the programs should be ranked (again, holding reputation and quality of education as the main criteria)? I have a sense that Lahey's reputation might be strong enough to consider it above the average university programs in my list, but I may be mistaken. What do you think, guys? Thanks for all the help!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a resident at UMASS, and while our Heme-Onc department and fellowship program are not (IMO) among the best on the East Coast, people have done very well in recent years in the match, and there are increasing #'s of great research opportunities as UMASS is getting more NIH money every year. Our Heme-Onc fellowship matches over the past few years include Duke, JHU, Vandy, BIDMC, and of course UMASS. Probably, of the programs you mentioned, UMASS has the most research money (unless Fox Chase is a Drexel affiliate; I always thought that was Temple affliated, no??), and the strongest affiliated medical school. Although the month I spent on q4 o/n call with cross-coverage and combined ICU/floor admissions at Milford last month was tough and occasionally aggravating, I have been very happy here.

Lahey is a very nice program; I went to Tufts and rotated through their GI dept. so I know a little about it. However, it is also a very young program with some growing to do, and as a small, one-hospital program, was not the best match for me personally. However, they do have strong Cards and GI fellowship programs if you decide you don't want to do Heme-onc, and Lahey grads usually have a leg up in getting spots in these programs.

1.UMass
2.UMDNJ, Newark
3.Penn State, Hershey
4.Stony Brook
5.Drexel
6.Lahey clinic