Yes...another Step I question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ENTforME

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello...I am an MSIII who is currently doing OTO research. I am sorta concerned because all the step 1 questions in regards to ENT say get at least 235. Well...this may seem like a stupid question...but I got a 232...with that score...how strong am I as an applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

Here's a stat for you. Last year, out of 305 applicants, 249 matched and 56 didn't. For the applicants who scored between 231 and 240, 68 matched and 10 didn't. Even though the national mean for matched ENT residents is 238, I say you still have a very good chance especially if you are involved in multiple research projects.

Here's a stat for you. Last year, out of 305 applicants, 249 matched and 56 didn't. For the applicants who scored between 231 and 240, 68 matched and 10 didn't. Even though the national mean for matched ENT residents is 238, I say you still have a very good chance especially if you are involved in multiple research projects.

Not a major deal, but I believe the numbers of applicants and matriculants for the 2007 match were 353 and 270, respectively, according to Charting the Match 2007 http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2007.pdf see page 7

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, I just assumed that the poster was an American graduate so I only looked at the American graduate numbers. Thanks, though.

249 applicants matched and 56 didn't??? How can this hapen in such a competitive speciality, seems strange to me since ENT is among the five most competitive. Well I guess no one can really deny you your choice if you play your cards right, there are many ways to get into ENT right? You still have to work hard but it is possible, or at least seems possible to me right now.

249 applicants matched and 56 didn't??? How can this hapen in such a competitive speciality, seems strange to me since ENT is among the five most competitive. Well I guess no one can really deny you your choice if you play your cards right, there are many ways to get into ENT right? You still have to work hard but it is possible, or at least seems possible to me right now.

there's also a lot of self selection in the process because most of those 353 applicants are med school superstars.

there's also a lot of self selection in the process because most of those 353 applicants are med school superstars.

What do you mean with "med school superstars"? Explain please

Agree with that. Its pretty rare that folks in the bottom half of the class apply. At Baylor, the administrative secretary for the dean (our "mom") pretty much laid down the law for students.

Agree with that. Its pretty rare that folks in the bottom half of the class apply. At Baylor, the administrative secretary for the dean (our "mom") pretty much laid down the law for students.

And it's pretty well accepted that Baylor med students entering ENT generally are good residents as well (at least that was the feeling in the schools with which I was affiliated--no none were TX schools either). Might be because of that grooming they do there. If the admin secretary is in on it, probably shows how much they get you prepared.