Sorry another 'my chances' thread...possible late switch to ENT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SkullBase

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Sorry for another one of these threads...but any advice is appreciated. I am a 3rd years student who was pretty set on another surgical sub-specialty until I rotated on ENT recently during my surgery rotation and loved it. I enjoy the diversity of procedures and sub-specialties that the field offers and feel my personality meshes better with the type of people this field attracts. Would I still be competitive for this match even though it's getting toward end of April?

My info:
Medical School: Middle-to-bottom tier allopathic school with small ENT department
Step 1: 255, Step 2 CK: Scheduled for July
Grades: 3rd year- Honors in Surgery, OB/GYN, HP in everything else (currently on IM and will hopefully honor it); 1st- 2nd years- Mix of Honors and HP
AOA: Not sure if I will get it, but I'm likely in top 15-20% of class.
Research: 5 non-ENT basic science abstracts/posters (3 of which were presented at national medical meetings), 1 basic science manuscript in submission/review, 1 basic science medical school thesis, 1 non-ENT surgical book chapter, 2 non-ENT surgical projects in progress, and 1 medicine project in progress; Also a handful of research awards from my school and from meetings.
Aways: Due to my school's scheduling I won't be able to do a home ENT rotation till September and am planning aways in August and October.

I'm a bit worried because of my lack of ENT research and the fact that my home ENT department doesn't know me that well (working on that now) and that I won't be able to do my sub-I with them till pretty late. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.