year off btw med school and residency for baby?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alimarie81

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone out there taken a year off between med school and residency to have a baby? Anyone considered this, and if you have, any advice on the matter? Are there any residency programs that I could match into as a fourth year, then defer a year?

I am about to be MS4 in June, and have a medical problem (gyne). My doc wants me to have some operations, then try try try for a baby ASAP to increase my chances. Any thoughts???
I haven't decided on a specialty yet- considering psych, pathology, or radiology. Anything is helpful ladies.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd talk to the OB's in your hosp. - Many of them have said that the ideal time to have a baby is before the chief year - decreased hours that year, so still able to finish in the time planned. They also want to hit the ground running after residency and have all been successful in this. Several have started part time and worked their way into full-time as the babes get older. Just my thoughts!