Logistics of MS4 baby?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOdoc92742

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will be my first baby. So many factors to consider... I'm overwhelmed. I'm 29yo and planning on having my first when I'm 30.

I was told the best thing is to keep baby inside until after auditions/interviews are done. I want to do about 5 audition rotations and with either plan, will be pregnant during auditions and interviews.

1. How do you travel to auditions and also do all your OB appointments? Do women just go to a different OB for their appointment (whichever city they're in)? If so, then I need good insurance. As far as medical care and traveling, what else should I be prepared for?
2. What if I don't get pregnant in time & baby ends up being timed to come during intern year... but FMLA doesn't apply until 12 months in. What do people do then?
3. I don't want to be pregnant for interviews but I think it'll be easier to do auditions/interviews with baby inside, rather than sleep deprived new mom (I think?). I'll be applying for FM so am hoping being pregnant for interviews will be okay. Thoughts?
4. What about travel restrictions after 37 weeks from airlines? Do women just use alternative ways to travel like train? Or can you get a waiver from your doc to fly? How dangerous is it to the baby?
5. Do I tell my 4th year preceptors (whether an audition or just an elective rotation) if I'm prego?

Any other advice for me or anything else I should mentally prepare for?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You want a baby in the next year so I'm confused as to your timeline. Are you a Caribbean student? 5 audition rotations sound like a lot for FP.

1. You don't go to random OBs unless there's an issue; you want to be followed by the same person/group throughout the pregnancy. Visits become more frequent later on in pregnancy.
2. If you don't get pregnant "in time", you have to figure out if you want to keep trying or wait until a better time. When on interviews, you can ask about maternity leave policy and if current residents have difficulties getting time off.
3. This comes down to preference. When in your last month, you aren't going to want to travel too far from home in case you go into labor (plus you may be really uncomfortable). Leaving a new baby at home to go to an interview will be tough, and figuring out where and when to pump if you're BF could stress you out while traveling or during the interview day. Will also say that many new moms welcome a little time away (but often feel guilty about that). If interviewing while pregnant, remember to prepare to need appropriate interview clothing for your expanding belly. If a program is uncomfortable with a pregnant interviewee, you probably don't want to train there if you want to have more children.
4. I would avoid travelling long distances toward the end, and your OB will be able to give you specific recommendations. Don't plan on flying in the last month or two unless unavoidable and with your OB's blessing. Some OBs are very conservative. If you develop a complication, you could end up on bedrest, or have baby earlier than expected. I had a med student once who went into labor and ended up delivering a preemie alone in podunk when she couldn't get home in time. Granted, that is rare, but stuff happens.
5. Depends on your comfort level, but I wouldn't tell them ahead of time if that's what you mean. If you are super sick early on in the pregnancy and it is affecting your work/abilities, I would consider telling them so they understand what's going on, but that's a personal decision. I personally appreciate when people tell me so that I can make sure they won't be exposed to x-ray/potentially infectious diseases that affect baby/whatever if I can help it.

Thank you so much @Smurfette ! I really appreciate your advice!

Im a third year at a DO school in the Midwest. I failed Level 1, took a few months to remediate, so am now delayed and off cycle. The plan is to be done with third year by december, take Level 2 boards, and do earlier fourth year auditions and finish all my core electives for fourth year a little early. Then hoping to have baby around Match time and enjoy some time with baby before residency.

Maybe 5 auditions is too much. I want to do more than average because of my boards failure. How many is a good number? I still need to talk to my advisor and plan out details of my fourth year (which will be with Class of 2022). Right now, Im just trying to mentally prepare for everything and have a general plan.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Here to say that if the timing does not work out to have a baby during MS4, you can absolutely do it in residency. My first was born during PGY-1 and my second was born during PGY-3.

Thank you! That is reassuring. I'll turn 30 when I graduate so am nervous about age, miscarriages, balancing residency, basically everything- haha. Trying to stay positive though.