Yale vs Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which should I attend?

• Yale

Votes: 34 55.7%
  • Columbia

Votes: 27 44.3%

• Total voters

hydroflaskhomie

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really appreciate any insight - I thought this decision would get easier but it has not. I also have the option of my state school (midwest) as of today (really cutting it down to the wire here) but I think it’s going to come down to these powerhouses.

COL probably higher in Washington Heights.

I am undecided on specialty. Would like to keep the door open to competitive stuff including top IM residencies to enter into fellowships (maybe Onc?). I currently want to take a 5th year to do an MPH or research for personal interest.

COLUMBIA
  • Pros:
    • Layman prestige (ivy) - opens up opportunities for later exits into business of medicine careers from a “prestige” standpoint
    • In-medicine prestige
    • Marginally better clinical training at NY Presbyterian hospital? Unsure
    • Pretty facilities (new building - but only one)
    • Nice housing for a low NYC price
      • Remodeled, laundry in-unit
      • Huge comparative spaces
      • Seems relatively safe
    • Narrative medicine program (Great opportunity to tie in outside of medicine interests)
    • Strong MPH for potential 5th year plan
    • When else will I live in NYC?
  • Cons:
    • Can't keep car (stress of selling)
    • Students are likely the most stressed out of all of my options (I'm OK with competition but am I throwing away an opportunity to avoid 90% of stress at Yale?) - clerkship students seem very upset and unhappy
    • Hierarchy rumored at home hospital of NY Presbyterian
    • Could have to move yearly (2 year leases are less common due to rent increases)
    • Iffy location (NYC seems fun, but this feels like barely NYC, 45+ minute subway commute into “fun parts” of the city)
      • Seems like you don’t get benefits of living in NYC but you do get the negatives (cramped, loud, some safety concerns)
      • Few restaurants, cafes nearby
      • Air quality poor
      • A trek to good outdoor areas
      • Trek to everything I need like a nice grocery store
    • Do not currently anticipate wanting to stay in NY/NYC for residency or life long-term
      • However, matches well to California and other areas of the country (California potentially not as well as Yale, but within margin of class preference)
      • This could change
    • Unhealthy environment with pollution/unclean streets
    • No gym in apartment building (not a “must-have” but a strong “nice to have”)

YALE

Pros:
  • Resounding consensus on “chill” environment, “Yale students have better lives than most med students”
    • Pass/fail pre-clinicals (same as other options)
    • Pass/fail clerkships (this eliminates some stress to “kiss up” for subjective grading; however, increases need to differentiate self otherwise)
  • Connected location (easy access to NYC, Boston, Philly)
  • Significant layman prestige (“high” ivy) - best opens up opportunities for later exits into business of medicine careers from a “prestige” standpoint + good in-medicine prestige
  • Option for excellent (premium) MD/JD, MD/MBA
  • Good MPH
  • Very common for people to take tuition-free 5th year
  • Great vibes from prospective students in general (all also deciding between very competitive places)
  • Easy access to undergrad campus for excellent variety of academic pursuits including healthcare economics
  • Access to NYC/Boston via train
  • Really nice housing options
Cons:
  • Why do so many people take a 5th year? Do they have to to differentiate themselves?
    • I’m OK with taking a 5th year and plan on it for a second degree/research; however, worried that this is the status quo for a necessity reason rather than a “nice to do” reason
  • Older students seemed briefly pretentious at the free clinic
  • Hard to get to/from (commuter flight or slightly long drive to airport)
  • College town/city
    • Some areas are rougher, but in general does not feel unsafe

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This one is difficult because the pros and cons seem pretty equivalent imo...so I'm gonna vote Columbia because it is marginally cheaper lol

Reactions: 1 user
Two big questions here: 1) How well do you handle stress? If you think that the competitive nature at Columbia is going to make a strong negative impact on you, don’t do it. If you’re someone that enjoys competition and uses it as motivation, this could be good for you in the end. It seems like there is motivation integrated into Columbia’s program.. at Yale, you will need create your own motivation as to not embrace the chill culture tooo much. However, if you thing the high stress environment at Columbia would be detrimental for you, that’s something huge to consider.

2) How interested are you actually in business? Is it just an “oh that would be a nice option”? Or is it a legitimate part of your plan? Columbia has the better MBA program (part of the magnificent 7, Yale is not) but you’d have to look into feasibility here. How easy is it to get into the program as a med student and how doable is it to balance both curriculums at once. Yale still has the reputation to make you an attract candidate in any field, but it should be noted that Columbia’s MBA carries a weight that Yale’s falls just short of.

I think every other point you’ve made is kinda a wash. 60k extra for Yale isn’t make or break, though it’s something to consider. Other than that, you have pros and cons for location, which doesn’t seem to yield a clear winner. IMO, focus on the questions posed above and decide from there. Congrats and good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Given how similar everything is here, the biggest difference I can think of is just how radically different the learning environment is between them - college town vs big city. You're spending 4-5 years here living in one place, go with the one you see yourself actually enjoying the most.

Go to Yale. Crazy matchlist, happy students, great opportunities, and you don't seem crazy excited to live in NYC and can still visit it from New Haven. Wouldn't read too much into the 5th year thing as it as more of a sign of the opportunities available and the culture than anything else, and Harvard/Yale/Stanford all have lots of people who add on the extra year and they definitely don't do it for the match.

Reactions: 2 users