Stanford vs. Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lavendertea32

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should try and ask Stanford to connect you with a current student who is doing an MBA, in the Biodesign program, or just generally taking advantage of the tech space. I don't know much about it, but I think hearing from a student can help gauge how easy/hard it is to be involved in this and if it is feasible given your goals and commitments as a student! Just my two cents!

Reactions: 1 users
Yale is much cheaper, is P/F all 4 years, and is much closer to home. Honestly seems like an easy choice to me. Prestige is equivalent. East Coasters will be more impressed with Yale, West Coasters will be more impressed with Stanford, residency directors will likely view them both within a group of 10-15 schools that have very high prestige. USNWR does not determine how prestige is perceived within medicine, you won't get any brownie points for going to one school over the other.

Unless you wanna match on the West Coast and money isn't an issue, it seems like Stanford doesn't really have many pros other than the weather. If you're hardworking enough to get into Yale and Stanford, you're hardworking enough to do just fine with the Yale system. Besides, it'd allow you much more time and flexibility to pursue your business interests.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're not going to have trouble matching to the West Coast from Yale. They have a ton of matches to Stanford/UCSF residencies every year.

Reactions: 1 user
You're not going to have trouble matching to the West Coast from Yale. They have a ton of matches to Stanford/UCSF residencies every year.
That is if you are from the West Coast/did undergrad on the West Coast. Otherwise it would be easier to match to the West Coast from Stanford. Its totally possible from Yale, but understand that you will have a strong tie to the West Coast if you do your medical school out here.

I don't think there is going to be a difference between getting an MBA at Yale or Stanford and your future prospects are going to be equivalent at both these places. They both provide a top notch MD program and MBA. Personally, I would go with Yale for the P/F and chiller environment that would lend + less debt, but I wouldn't fault you if you went to Stanford. While the debt is different, I don't think it is astronomical if you went to Stanford and you would be able to pay it off fairly quickly into your career, especially if you are trying to be a C-suite MD/MBA working at a hospital or a Chief Medical Officer at some biotech/industry gig.

Reactions: 1 users
I wish I was making this decision because I would easily go with Stanford.

Reactions: 1 user