Xxx

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And we arent talking about the entire system. We are talking about advising applicants about going to medical school. And however the system maybe, the bottom line is going to US MD or DO school has 95%+ chance of becoming a practicing physician with the vast majority being in the top 3 choice of residency program where as going to off shore at even the "best" schools is half of that. You want to make a decision and go to a Carib school, thats fine, you want understand the risks, that fine. But dont try to rationalize your decision as "right" because the system is against you. Do it with open eyes, with the risks of not graduating, of getting less desirable residency slots often in a speciality you dont want, or not getting a residency at all. This isnt a lottery ticket. This is a huge wager with hundreds of thousand dollars on the line that will fall on you.

as I've said often, before considering any offshore school applicant must go through at least two application cycles for both MD and DO with at least a year break in between (ie skip a cycle) for application repair and/or enhancement. the break is necessary to analyze and understand the weaknesses in an application. Repair may be as simple as reorganizing rewriting application or it may require postbacc, SMP, MCAT, or additional extracurricular such as clinical volunteering and other items. I strongly advise that no student should consider off shore schools until the above has been done

Hey then we are in total agreement. I am speaking out against people on this thread advocating that we do not allow student loans to fund these programs, and other federal regulatory measures. I personally would never go to one of these schools. But I would also never get a Masters in art history or go to some degree-mill MBA program either.

Members don't see this ad.

as I've said often, before considering any offshore school applicant must go through at least two application cycles for both MD and DO with at least a year break in between (ie skip a cycle) for application repair and/or enhancement. the break is necessary to analyze and understand the weaknesses in an application. Repair may be as simple as reorganizing rewriting application or it may require postbacc, SMP, MCAT, or additional extracurricular such as clinical volunteering and other items. I strongly advise that no student should consider off shore schools until the above has been done
This is true for majority of the applicants but those who know their limitations about MCAT or GPA repair don't need to waste couple of years.

Look...

All of this is out in the open. You can go almost anywhere and read about why going to a Carib school is seriously risky. No one is arguing that MD and DO schools aren't greatly preferable.

However, Carib schools do produce practicing physicians. You have a better chance at becoming a physician at a Carib school than you do not going to Med school.

To say that this model is exceptionally predatory over anything else in our education system is farcical. No one thinks its exceptionally predatory to let tons of kids pursue a premed track knowing that half of them won't matriculate into medical school. No one thinks it's exceptionally predatory to allow kids to accrue tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars in student debt in pursuit of masters and doctoral degrees so that they can end up working in a school system. No one even blinks an eye at the 4 year 50% graduation rate for public colleges and universities.

I have brought these up over and over again and the general argument has been to simply explain them away into nothingness. An education is intrinsically valuable, just not a Carib education. Having a bachelor's degree is good regardless of whether you do anything with it, but the same does not apply for a Carib program.

The double-standard is obvious. In the US you can pursue any amounts of debt and crappy education you want to so long as it's at a public university or college. Then it is a "good" education. But if it's from a for-profit institution then it is "predatory." Never mind that plenty of these non-profits are predatory themselves. How many sociology majors are being sacrificed so that professors have jobs? How many gender studies majors go on to occupy wasteful positions carved out for them in university admins simply so there is some work at the end of the pipeline.

This isn't that hard to argue since we know the trope has been "to pursue your passion." Please tell me why it's OK for the public education system to tell kids to "pursue their passion" and take tends of thousands of dollars (from the kids or from the tax payer) but the for profit schools are "predatory." A huge part of the "college experience" is throwing tons of money to fund legitimately useless University departments and offices. Kids spend this money unquestioningly because they have been conditioned to do so by a predatory system.

This is a system so predatory that people on this forum legitimately make the narrowest distinctions possible between its respective members, so that they cannot see the predatory nature in the whole system, they are only keyed to competition from the private sector. Literally everyone here defends the intrinsic value of an education (rather, an education like the one they were sold) but miraculously a for-profit MD program that gives you a legitimate chance at becoming a licensed physician is *bad*. That is to say, it doesn't matter if your Masters in Art History brings you any net benefit it is still "good." But the known risks of a Carib school make them exceptional predators that must be regulated.
Enough with the whataboutism type of arguments.
Nobody has a right to be a doctor. A career in medicine is not a reward for good grades we're being a good student. You have to earn that

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey then we are in total agreement. I am speaking out against people on this thread advocating that we do not allow student loans to fund these programs, and other federal regulatory measures. I personally would never go to one of these schools. But I would also never get a Masters in art history or go to some degree-mill MBA program either.
Well, yeah! Part of making an informed decision or calculated risk is doing it with YOUR money, not taxpayers. Pretty easy to take out $300K in loans that taxpayers will eat if things don't work out. Not do much if your parent/co-signers will be on the hook.

Without getting into the societal value of an art history or women's studies degree, med school is a vocational degree. Taxpayers shouldn't be funneling money to the domestic for-profit computer repair school, nor the off-shore, for-profit med school. If the degree has such a high value, the school should have no problem finding private parties eager to finance it.

If not, it's a scam on the American taxpayer. If Americans want to finance the educations of underemployed sociology majors so that non-profit institutions can support bloated bureaucracies, so be it. I have seen no such evidence regarding entrepreneurs running off shore diploma mills, so I'll assume this is mostly a big scam that the majority of people financing it (let alone the students attending!) don't know about.

Is the goal to become a physician or to become a physician quickly? “Wasting” a couple of years in trying to find a better path to medicine is no less as important an investment to take as is the hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt that one will incur. And improving MCAT is the most straight forward and by far least expensive way to improve an application. Anyone who is not willing to put in that effort to a profession that requires intense motivation and commitment really should be introspective and reflective as to why they are going this route.
"Wasting" is what I heard, not my words. in one of my N=1s (relative) kid was scoring low in MCAT practice tests and felt no way he would get the required score for MD/DO and parents (both physicians) were OK with him going to Carrib. He completed in 4 years, found residency and happily married. Maybe some go into medicine for $$$ and prestige.

Ok... No one is in dispute that there are more ideal paths into medicine then Carib schools. However, to address some of the most recent pushback

Goro, I'm not engaging in "whatbaoutism." The US federalized all student loans and generally does not make these loans based off of certain risk perceptions. That is, zero students accessing these loans have to prove that they will be able to pay them off. So, as a matter of fairness (or equal protection under the law) it really is an issue that if the government-education complex is going to scrutinize Carib schools in such a way as to deny them revenue, then they should scrutinize all schools that accept federal funds in that way. So, if our argument then is "half of these carib graduates don't become licensed physicians" then we should also go and say "2/3rds of kids who go to college never get a degree" and "1/2 of premeds don't go to medical school" because those are all pipeline failures as well. While I understand that no one is entitled to be a doctor, the contention is that Carib schools are necessarily predatory because of their low match rate. I simply suggest that if that is the case, then many colleges are equally as predatory given low graduation rates, low placement into graduate programs, ect.

Knight Doc, my argument to you is the same as my argument to Goro. Plus, the federal government has an essential monopoly on student loans. These are not "taxpayer funds" they are loans that the government expects a return, with interest, on. Right now, Democrats are pushing to cancel anything from 10k to all student debt, depending on who you talk to and how radical they are. I find it hard to believe that you are going to argue forcefully that Carib schools shouldn't be entitled to federal student loans because it is a bad "investment" for taxpayers while nationally we are talking about erasure of all student debt. Clearly the problem with non-profit schools is orders of magnitude greater. That is, Carib schools aren't a drop in the bucket compared to state-funded schools when it comes to the US student debt bubble.

now if you want espouse your anger on other parts of the American post secondary education is finance in order to make your own choice seem more acceptable to yourself, please do so on your own. I do not need your misleading views and whatever personal agenda you have with system having other people following your mistakes.

Gonnif, I don't know what you are talking about. "Make my own choice acceptable to myself"? I don't go to a Carib school and I don't have student debt. The whole reason why I don't think your case against Carib schools holds any water is because I've seen the same predatory behavior in the entire education system and worked to avoid it. So all we have is this, essentially irrelevant, distinction between for-profit and not-for profit. At least for-profit schools are nominally accountable to shareholders, whereas the non-profit education complex is essentially unaccountable to anyone. Also, "following my mistakes," which ones? Getting into a US MD program, graduating UG with zero student debt? I'm here specifically because I didn't listen to the tons of "advice" from the High School counselors, ect, back in the day and chose my own path. That is the difference between me and my sister with a useless masters and 100k in student debt from "public" universities. What I am saying is that, at least Carib schools have a bad rap - whereas the massive debt load and 40% success rate of public undergrads still isn't enough to suggest that people should at least think before they go to college.

To conclude, I will pose this question to all of you:

Should Carib schools be forced to guarantee some or all student debt if their students are unable to match within a certain amount of time?

If yes, then why wouldn't we hold any education program to that same, reasonable, standard? If you are a teacher that can't get tenure, let's make your education program accountable for that. Art Historian that can't get a job in art? Lets hold your Art school accountable to that?

If you disagree then please state what exactly the difference is other than a shallow bias against anything "for profit"

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Knight Doc, my argument to you is the same as my argument to Goro. Plus, the federal government has an essential monopoly on student loans. These are not "taxpayer funds" they are loans that the government expects a return, with interest, on. Right now, Democrats are pushing to cancel anything from 10k to all student debt, depending on who you talk to and how radical they are. I find it hard to believe that you are going to argue forcefully that Carib schools shouldn't be entitled to federal student loans because it is a bad "investment" for taxpayers while nationally we are talking about erasure of all student debt. Clearly the problem with non-profit schools is orders of magnitude greater. That is, Carib schools aren't a drop in the bucket compared to state-funded schools when it comes to the US student debt bubble.
You are conflating issues you have with higher education in general with specific, predatory issues associated with private, American corporations running off-shore schools that circumvent US accreditation and standards while marketing to Americans and participating in taxpayer funded programs, like federal student loans.

I have absolutely no issue with private, for-profit corporations doing whatever is legal, albeit without taxpayer subsidies. Make no mistake, these loans are absolutely not made with an expectation of a return. If they were attractive, private enterprise (Wall Street and banks) would be thrilled to jump in and compete.

These are low interest, unsecured loans. Some are paid with interest, some are not, but the program is DESIGNED to run at a loss. If it weren't, interest rates would be a lot higher (like credit cards) and many people would not be eligible. Private for-profit schools should be excluded, whether med schools or not, whether on shore or not. There are plenty of private loans available for legitimate graduate degrees, like US based MD and DO programs. The "monopoly" is only for s**t loans like these that no one in their right mind would make to these people under these terms.

If their business model works, great, there are plenty of companies whose business it is to underwrite loans. If not, they shouldn't exist. If the people eagerly signing up for Caribbean MDs had to put up their parents' homes as collateral, you can be sure people would give it a much harder look, and that's exactly what should happen, since Caribbean schools are really nothing like US schools, although they both grant MD degrees.

Lumping the $300K thrown down the toilet at a for-profit Caribbean diploma mill in with the $30K pissed away on someone's else's UG liberal arts degree is simply disingenuous. Liberal arts are considered by many to have value as education for education's sake, which you might or might agree with. But a Caribbean MD degree is worth NOTHING if you cannot become licensed to practice after obtaining it, and no one, including the schools themselves, would argue otherwise.

If these companies are truly no different from Swarthmore or Bowdoin, let them set up shop in the states as a not for profit, submit to AAMC, LCME and state oversight and regulation, and then participate in all the federal goodies. They are in the Caribbean for a reason, and it's not the superior weather or third world charm and lack of modern amenities. You can rest assured no US based med school would be allowed to operate with their track record, and that's the only reason they are there.

Their students are free to make their owners as rich as they like, after proper disclosure. American taxpayers shouldn't be putting a cent in their owners' pockets, regardless of any other issues you might identify with American higher education in general. They provide no tangible benefit in return. There are already more than enough FMGs to fill any available US residency slot after the US match.

Last edited:
  • Wow
You are conflating issues you have with higher education in general with specific, predatory issues associated with private, American corporations running off-shore schools that circumvent US accreditation and standards while marketing to Americans and participating in taxpayer funded programs, like federal student loans.

I have absolutely no issue with private, for-profit corporations doing whatever is legal, albeit without taxpayer subsidies. Make no mistake, these loans are absolutely not made with an expectation of a return. If they were attractive, private enterprise (Wall Street and banks) would be thrilled to jump in and compete.

These are low interest, unsecured loans. Some are paid with interest, some are not, but the program is DESIGNED to run at a loss. If it weren't, interest rates would be a lot higher (like credit cards) and many people would not be eligible. Private for-profit schools should be excluded, whether med schools or not, whether on shore or not. There are plenty of private loans available for legitimate graduate degrees, like US based MD and DO programs. The "monopoly" is only for s**t loans like these that no one in their right mind would make to these people under these terms.

If their business model works, great, there are plenty of companies whose business it is to underwrite loans. If not, they shouldn't exist. If the people eagerly signing up for Caribbean MDs had to put up their parents' homes as collateral, you can be sure people would give it a much harder look, and that's exactly what should happen, since Caribbean schools are really nothing like US schools, although they both grant MD degrees.

Lumping the $300K thrown down the toilet at a for-profit Caribbean diploma mill in with the $30K pissed away on someone's else's UG liberal arts degree is simply disingenuous. Liberal arts are considered by many to have value as education for education's sake, which you might or might agree with. But a Caribbean MD degree is worth NOTHING if you cannot become licensed to practice after obtaining it, and no one, including the schools themselves, would argue otherwise.

If these companies are truly no different from Swarthmore or Bowdoin, let them set up shop in the states as a not for profit, submit to AAMC, LCME and state oversight and regulation, and then participate in all the federal goodies. They are in the Caribbean for a reason, and it's not the superior weather or third world charm and lack of modern amenities. You can rest assured no US based med school would be allowed to operate with their track record, and that's the only reason they are there.

Their students are free to make their owners as rich as they like, after proper disclosure. American taxpayers shouldn't be putting a cent in their owners' pockets, regardless of any other issues you might identify with American higher education in general. They provide no tangible benefit in return. There are already more than enough FMGs to fill any available US residency slot after the US match.

These aren't subsidies. And the for-profit/not for-profit/private/public thing is just exhausting. Simply because something is private does not mean it is for-profit, simply because something is not for-profit doesn't mean it is "good," and simply because something is public does not mean it's beyond corruption. The data on massive growths in non-profit school tuition and bureaucratic expenditure is clear. Our student debt bubble is driven by spending at public colleges and universities and that spending exist to fuel a jobs program. So, whether Carib schools are public or private is irrelevant, and whether they are sufficiently successful at putting kids in residency is of no consequence because they are such a small drop in the bucket in terms of federal student loan wastage.

Your argument that "no one in their right mind would make to these people under these terms" is asinine. Why then have a federal subsidized student loan program? Pray tell, if no one in their "right mind" would make these loans to "these people" besides the federal government, what does that say about public colleges and universities that are the largest beneficiaries of these loans? You are indicting the Carib schools for apparently being exactly what these federal loans are designed to pay for (high risk people who otherwise couldn't get loans) and then on the other hand you are complaining that these schools are a waste despite admitting this program was designed to operate at a loss anyways.

I would argue that a Caribbean MD degree is intrinsically valuable in the same way that any liberal arts degree is intrinsically valuable. Since we aren't talking about anything tangible we no longer need to justify things with hard numbers and can thus say whatever we want. Your bias for public education systems is so implicit that you can't even recognize is. I don't think Carib schools are worth anything but I would hardly then go around and say "but we should get 17 year olds to drop between 30 and 100k on the 'college experience' and 'pursuing their passion'". Point of fact: if we want to make an economic argument about wastage in federal loan programs then we should look for large drivers of wastage (ie the public education system) and not stuff on the margins. You are trying to make an economic argument that is generally applicable to almost every school outside of Med schools. Sure the difference between the debt can be large, but we are putting orders of magnitude more students into debt in just the undergrad programs. If only 60% of these students are ending up with degrees (after 6 years?) then someone is doing a lot of skimming off the top.

Again, I submit a simple question to you: should these schools be compelled to underwrite some fraction of their student's debt (thus having a stake in success)?

If so, then why shouldn't any other institution in the US similarly have a stake in the success of their students?

Last edited:
These aren't subsidies. And the for-profit/not for-profit/private/public thing is just exhausting. Simply because something is private does not mean it is for-profit, simply because something is not for-profit doesn't mean it is "good," and simply because something is public does not mean it's beyond corruption. The data on massive growths in non-profit school tuition and bureaucratic expenditure is clear. Our student debt bubble is driven by spending at public colleges and universities and that spending exist to fuel a jobs program. So, whether Carib schools are public or private is irrelevant, and whether they are sufficiently successful at putting kids in residency is of no consequence because they are such a small drop in the bucket in terms of federal student loan wastage.

Your argument that "no one in their right mind would make to these people under these terms" is asinine. Why then have a federal subsidized student loan program? Pray tell, if no one in their "right mind" would make these loans to "these people" besides the federal government, what does that say about public colleges and universities that are the largest beneficiaries of these loans? You are indicting the Carib schools for apparently being exactly what these federal loans are designed to pay for (high risk people who otherwise couldn't get loans) and then on the other hand you are complaining that these schools are a waste despite admitting this program was designed to operate at a loss anyways.

I would argue that a Caribbean MD degree is intrinsically valuable in the same way that any liberal arts degree is intrinsically valuable. Since we aren't talking about anything tangible we no longer need to justify things with hard numbers and can thus say whatever we want. Your bias for public education systems is so implicit that you can't even recognize is. I don't think Carib schools are worth anything but I would hardly then go around and say "but we should get 17 year olds to drop between 30 and 100k on the 'college experience' and 'pursuing their passion'". Point of fact: if we want to make an economic argument about wastage in federal loan programs then we should look for large drivers of wastage (ie the public education system) and not stuff on the margins. You are trying to make an economic argument that is generally applicable to almost every school outside of Med schools. Sure the difference between the debt can be large, but we are putting orders of magnitude more students into debt in just the undergrad programs. If only 60% of these students are ending up with degrees (after 6 years?) then someone is doing a lot of skimming off the top.

Again, I submit a simple question to you: should these schools be compelled to underwrite some fraction of their student's debt (thus having a stake in success)?

If so, then why shouldn't any other institution in the US similarly have a stake in the success of their students?
Yes, they are subsidies. They fund tuition that people couldn't otherwise afford, and a significant portion of them go upaid. They transfer wealth from American taxpayers to private, for-profit corporations. In other words, subsidies.

Why have a federal loan program? To increase access to higher education to those who would otherwise be denied. Domestic, not for profits (public and private) whether or not you believe there is value to what they offer. Off-shore for-profits? I dunno, but I'd bet most people ultimately paying for this would vote no. FWIW, a bachelors is considered by many to be the 13th grade nowadays. Foreign MDs? Not really. Anyone who thinks there is intrinsic value to a Caribbean MD should find a bank to lend to them on that basis. I think most taxpayers who value higher education at all would much rather fund 10 useless American bachelors degrees than one useless Caribbean MD (limit = $31K for UG).

No, schools shouldn't be compelled to underwrite loans. They should be compelled to come on-shore, subject themselves to the same regulations as everyone else, and then be invited to participate in all programs to the same extent as everyone else.

ALL for-profits should be banned, both domestic and foreign. Operators should decide whether to pursue profits and fund operations privately, or operate, at least on the surface, for the public good and receive public funding. We can save value judgments regarding medical degrees and art history degrees for another time. If private for-profits have something valuable to offer, you can rest assured private enterprise will find a way to finance it without taxpayer subsidies. If you want or need a taxpayer subsidy, you really have no right to make profits to distribute to investors. YMMV.

TBH, this whole back and forth is kind of pointless. Unless and until someone in DC wakes up, nothing is going to change. Taxpayers are going to continue funding these loans, and students who either have their eyes wide open or tightly closed will continue to roll the dice, so we might as well just agree to disagree on this.

Last edited:
Yes, they are subsidies. They fund tuition that people couldn't otherwise afford, and a significant portion of them go upaid. They transfer wealth from American taxpayers to private, for-profit corporations. In other words, subsidies.

Why have a federal loan program? To increase access to higher education to those who would otherwise be denied. Domestic, not for profits (public and private) whether or not you believe there is value to what they offer. Off-shore for-profits? I dunno, but I'd bet most people ultimately paying for this would vote no. FWIW, a bachelors is considered by many to be the 13th grade nowadays. Foreign MDs? Not really. Anyone who thinks there is intrinsic value to a Caribbean MD should find a bank to lend to them on that basis. I think most taxpayers who value higher education at all would much rather fund 10 useless American bachelors degrees than one useless Caribbean MD (limit = $31K for UG).

No, schools shouldn't be compelled to underwrite loans. They should be compelled to come on-shore, subject themselves to the same regulations as everyone else, and then be invited to participate in all programs to the same extent as everyone else.

ALL for-profits should be banned, both domestic and foreign. Operators should decide whether to pursue profits and fund operations privately, or operate, at least on the surface, for the public good and receive public funding. We can save value judgments regarding medical degrees and art history degrees for another time. If private for-profits have something valuable to offer, you can rest assured private enterprise will find a way to finance it without taxpayer subsidies. If you want or need a taxpayer subsidy, you really have no right to make profits to distribute to investors. YMMV.

TBH, this whole back and forth is kind of pointless. Unless and until someone in DC wakes up, nothing is going to change. Taxpayers are going to continue funding these loans, and students who either have their eyes wide open or tightly closed will continue to roll the dice, so we might as well just agree to disagree on this.
Amen

As I've said, there is nothing about the public sector that magically makes it incorruptible. Look at any school district with a powerful teachers Union. Hell, expand that to anything with a public union. The highest paid regular firefighter in LA a few years back made something like 400k. There is nothing about a public entity that necessarily means it is operating in the taxpayers interest. PERIOD.

With that said, your distinctions are irrelevant because these distinctions are either arbitrary or based on the demonstrably false assumption that the public sector does serve the taxpayers interest better than the private sector.

I'm not going to turn this into a private/public sector debate. I am just making the very reasonable point that whatever sector we are arguing about, we are essentially arguing about a return on investment. As I've pointed out, the majority of the sunk cost you are describing are going to our public colleges and universities. These sunk cost are going to finance bloated and useless administrations, college towns, tech oligopolies, ect.

I think it is telling that you are fine with sunk cost so long as they are going to US public institutions. That is an implicit admission that these loans are nothing more than a public works project for educated people. Surely if we were working in the taxpayer's interest, whose interest you nominally claim to care about, then we would go after the bulk of these sunk cost and not a couple of Carib schools on the margins. I also can't imagine that you would take your claim so far as to advocate for rank jingoism. While turning a blind eye to massive corruption and waste in the US college system you are going to rail against a couple hundred million dollars end up in Carib countries? Give me a break.

No, if you want to protect the taxpayer's money then protect the taxpayer's money. Outside of that you don't have an argument because your only criticism of Carrib schools is they are inefficient.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it is telling that you are fine with sunk cost so long as they are going to US public institutions. That is an implicit admission that these loans are nothing more than a public works project for educated people. Surely if we were working in the taxpayer's interest, whose interest you nominally claim to care about, then we would go after the bulk of these sunk cost and not a couple of Carib schools on the margins. I also can't imagine that you would take your claim so far as to advocate for rank jingoism. While turning a blind eye to massive corruption and waste in the US college system you are going to rail against a couple hundred million dollars end up in Carib countries? Give me a break.

No, if you want to protect the taxpayer's money then protect the taxpayer's money. Outside of that you don't have an argument because your only criticism of Carrib schools is they are inefficient.
Well, yeah. US public money, US public institutions! My point is simply that taxpayers voting for politicians that vote for programs benefitting "bloated" American non-profit institutions is fine. Off shore, for-profit, not so much. Jingoistic? If you say so, but I'm not distinguishing Caribbean for-profits from US based ones, even though US based for-profit med schools have much better results.

I don't care whether the school is public or private. I just don't want taxpayer money going to for profit schools. Period. If you don't think there is a difference, let the for-profits restructure, get rid of their investors, come on shore, submit to LCME and everyone else, and we're all good.

If not, again, do you really think you are going to convince anyone here who doesn't already agree with you that funneling American taxpayer money to Adtalem Global Education Inc., formerly DeVry Education Group ((NYSE: ATGE; member S&P MidCap 400 Index) a leading workforce solutions provider and the parent organization of American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine, Association of Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialists, Becker Professional Education, Chamberlain University, EduPristine, OnCourse Learning, Ross University School of Medicine and Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine), is okay because American higher education is bloated and some UGs graduate with diplomas that they cannot immediately monetize???? :) Adtalem is nothing more than a publicly traded money machine, partially built on misleading and unethical marketing, ultimately crushing the hopes and dreams of many of those unable to gain admission to a legitimate medical school, and all made possible through the stupidity and generosity of the American taxpayer.

Believe me, most of this money is not ending up in the Caribbean, other than whatever minimal amount they spend there to keep the lights on when the electricity is working. It's staying right here in the good old US of A. These are American for profit corporations setting up offshore to avoid US regulations. Kind of like cruise lines, who, come to think of it, couldn't get a taxpayer funded handout when they needed one, due to an inability to sell that to the public, even though certain Republicans badly wanted to take care of their friends last spring.

Last edited:
Well, yeah. US public money, US public institutions! My point is simply that taxpayers voting for politicians that vote for programs benefitting "bloated" American non-profit institutions is fine. Off shore, for-profit, not so much. Jingoistic? If you say so, but I'm not distinguishing Caribbean for-profits from US based ones, even though US based for-profit med schools have much better results.

I don't care whether the school is public or private. I just don't want taxpayer money going to for profit schools. Period. If you don't think there is a difference, let the for-profits restructure, get rid of their investors, come on shore, submit to LCME and everyone else, and we're all good.

If not, again, do you really think you are going to convince anyone here who doesn't already agree with you that funneling American taxpayer money to Adtalem Global Education Inc., formerly DeVry Education Group ((NYSE: ATGE; member S&P MidCap 400 Index) a leading workforce solutions provider and the parent organization of American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine, Association of Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialists, Becker Professional Education, Chamberlain University, EduPristine, OnCourse Learning, Ross University School of Medicine and Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine), is okay because American higher education is bloated and some UGs graduate with diplomas that they cannot immediately monetize???? :)

Believe me, most of this money is not ending up in the Caribbean, other than whatever minimal amount they spend there to keep the lights on when the electricity is working. It's staying right here in the good old US of A. These are American for profit corporations setting up offshore to avoid US regulations. Kind of like cruise lines, who, come to think of it, couldn't get a taxpayer funded handout when they needed one, due to an inability to sell that to the public, even though certain Republicans badly wanted to take care of their friends last spring.

Not to blow this up but your argument is oddly nationalistic, I mean - I know people who would make a similar arguments and distinctions I just doubt they share your politics. It's hard to fathom that while we literally subsidize the defense of many parts of the world, to the tune of trillions of dollars a decade, that we should care about anything going to Carib schools which would essentially be a rounding error. Like, if you are so worried at keeping American taxpayer dollars in America than boy you are going to blow a gasket when you find out what the rest of the government has been doing! This extends to corporations as well - I mean the Pentagon's JEDI contract with Microsoft is like $10B dollars. Carib schools can't touch that.

Your second line is the most telling. There are few institutions as wealthy as Harvard ($41.9 billion endowment) whose president received $4.6 million in total compensation. Sure, while "non-profits" are nominally non-profit that doesn't mean they don't take care of their own and act in their own interest at the expense of the consumers. It also doesn't mean that for-profit institutions don't use non-profits to cloak their own perverse intentions.

Again, as I have said, I'm not defending Carib schools per se. I'm saying your criticism doesn't hold water because it isn't unique to Carib schools. Tons of people are getting rich off of federal funds. The federal loan money has been a deep perversion of the education system, has totally inflated tuition and fee costs, and has essentially robbed from the middle and working class who could (at one point in time) reasonably afford tuition but now are forced into significant debt. And it's not like no one is making money off of this. Unions are making money, college administrators are making money, large corporations are getting the talent they need without having to take risks or pay premiums for it, ect.

Not to blow this up but your argument is oddly nationalistic, I mean - I know people who would make a similar arguments and distinctions I just doubt they share your politics. It's hard to fathom that while we literally subsidize the defense of many parts of the world, to the tune of trillions of dollars a decade, that we should care about anything going to Carib schools which would essentially be a rounding error. Like, if you are so worried at keeping American taxpayer dollars in America than boy you are going to blow a gasket when you find out what the rest of the government has been doing! This extends to corporations as well - I mean the Pentagon's JEDI contract with Microsoft is like $10B dollars. Carib schools can't touch that.

Your second line is the most telling. There are few institutions as wealthy as Harvard ($41.9 billion endowment) whose president received $4.6 million in total compensation. Sure, while "non-profits" are nominally non-profit that doesn't mean they don't take care of their own and act in their own interest at the expense of the consumers. It also doesn't mean that for-profit institutions don't use non-profits to cloak their own perverse intentions.

Again, as I have said, I'm not defending Carib schools per se. I'm saying your criticism doesn't hold water because it isn't unique to Carib schools. Tons of people are getting rich off of federal funds. The federal loan money has been a deep perversion of the education system, has totally inflated tuition and fee costs, and has essentially robbed from the middle and working class who could (at one point in time) reasonably afford tuition but now are forced into significant debt. And it's not like no one is making money off of this. Unions are making money, college administrators are making money, large corporations are getting the talent they need without having to take risks or pay premiums for it, ect.
I'm not sure what you think you know about my politics, but there is nothing at all nationalistic about my points. How many times do I need to say that I feel exactly the same way about ALL for-profits? The extra issue with Carib is the lack of US standards and regulations, the misleading marketing AND the taxpayer subsidy. It's not nationalistic. As I said, I have zero doubt the bulk of the money never leaves the USA.

Bitching about the Harvard endowment is fine, but it is not being distributed as dividends to investors, and that would be fine too, as long as it didn't take public money to do so. Harvard serves a public good, even if you don't like the way it does so. Adtalem makes no such pretensions, and accordingly, should find a private sugar daddy to fund its operations.

For me, it's not about keeping American dollars in America. It's about seeing taxpayer dollars used for things that benefit taxpayers. I had no problem with a US airline bailout, since air transportation is critical infrastructure. And this is even though the airlines are for profit. I also had no problem denying a bailout to American corporations (cruise lines) that chose to domicile operations overseas to avoid US taxation and US regulations.

Again, the money would not have gone overseas, since those companies are all based in FL. But, foreign jurisdictions are how the companies avoided obligations other American companies have to comply with (labor laws, taxes, etc.), and politicians just couldn't justify a handout to companies that go out of their way to avoid US regulation and aren't critical, even though they are important to places like FL, AK, etc. In the end, Panama and the Bahamas didn't bail them out, but they sure do pay their workers next to nothing!!

Finally, why are we still going back and forth? I know I'm not going to convince you. Do you honestly think you are going to convince me???

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you think you know about my politics, but there is nothing at all nationalistic about my points. How many times do I need to say that I feel exactly the same way about ALL for-profits? The extra issue with Carib is the lack of US standards and regulations, the misleading marketing AND the taxpayer subsidy. It's not nationalistic. As I said, I have zero doubt the bulk of the money never leaves the USA.

Bitching about the Harvard endowment is fine, but it is not being distributed as dividends to investors, and that would be fine too, as long as it didn't take public money to do so. Harvard serves a public good, even if you don't like the way it does so. Adtalem makes no such pretensions, and accordingly, should find a private sugar daddy to fund its operations.

For me, it's not about keeping American dollars in America. It's about seeing taxpayer dollars used for things that benefit taxpayers. I had no problem with a US airline bailout, since air transportation is critical infrastructure. And this is even though the airlines are for profit. I also had no problem denying a bailout to American corporations (cruise lines) that chose to domicile operations overseas to avoid US taxation and US regulations.

Again, the money would not have gone overseas, since those companies are all based in FL. But, foreign jurisdictions are how the companies avoided obligations other American companies have to comply with (labor laws, taxes, etc.), and politicians just couldn't justify a handout to companies that go out of their way to avoid US regulation and aren't critical, even though they are important to places like FL, AK, etc. In the end, Panama and the Bahamas didn't bail them out, but they sure do pay their workers next to nothing!!

Finally, why are we still going back and forth? I know I'm not going to convince you. Do you honestly think you are going to convince me???

I will keep responding to points as they are made, regardless of whether they convince you. First, it is probably a generally rare occurrence that anyone with a position is converted to a counter position by one, two, or ten debates. However, silence automatically forefeits the narrative. So, while you continue to make points I will continue to answer them. Second, you aren't exactly the audience. Anyone reading this is the audience. I have been more than clear of my position that I would not recommend going to Carib schools because of the excessive risk associated with them. Because I believe you would be absolutely negligent to go to these schools unaware of the risks (since they are clearly discussed in the open) I don't support any policies that would unfairly target these schools. People can judge my arguments as they see fit regardless of your willingness to explore them in good faith.

I can't claim to know much about your politics all I can say is that the argument you advance is uncharacteristically nationalistic. To quote you: "Well, yeah. US public money, US public institutions! My point is simply that taxpayers voting for politicians that vote for programs benefiting "bloated" American non-profit institutions is fine. Off shore, for-profit, not so much." The point you are making here (since you immediately make an unworkable caveat in the next sentence) is "taxpayer ROI be damned, so long as the cash is going into American systems." This is purely a nationalistic American-first argument which would be reasonable, however at the scale we are talking the amount that foreigners are benefited by Carib schools is a drop in the bucket compared to the trillions in subsidies that end up abroad.

If we are talking about things that benefit taxpayers then we should be talking about an ROI. But, as I've pointed out, if we want to critically examine ROI in education spending then Carib schools are hardly our white whale. Beyond the general platitude of "education is good" you have no answer for this. Certainly people with college degrees make more money, however when nearly half the people who attempt them don't achieve them then we have a credible claim for massive amount of waste.

Also, Carib schools do benefit the US. 50% of the people completing these programs are getting into residency. They are going on to practice medicine in the US, paying off these loans, and then paying a lifetime of taxes at a high income. If you want to say these schools some how harm the US then I suggest you present the figures of how much money the taxpayer is eating because of these schools versus the amount of debt that actually does get paid off and the lifetime tax potential of the graduates who make it to residency.

As for Harvard, I simply pointed out that they are an immensely wealthy non-profit private school that nominally brings value to the US but certainly takes care of it's own donors and interest, like any other institution. In 2017 the total value of the top 20 College and University endowments was nearly $600B and had grown by 10% in 2016 alone. Thus the top 20 schools are worth 35% of the total debt held by college students in the US.

As a case study, Harvard's endowment was transferred to the Harvard Management Company in1974, valued at $1.1B. It is now worth over $40B. Despite being able to pay for every students tuition by increasing it's rate of return at 1.5%, Harvard invoked austerity measures at the beginning of the pandemic, including pay and hiring freezes and threats of furloughing workers. This didn't stop Harvard from accepting more than $8 million in emergency relief from the Feds, half of it mandated for students by the fed. It wasn't until Trump criticized the move that Harvard came out and declined any further aid. With a $40B endowment its nice to know that the feds mandated about $181 in relief across all of Harvard's 22,000 students.

If we look at the total funding for just Ivy league schools the numbers are stark. The Ivies have total endowment of $120B which is enough to pay the tuition of every one of their students for the next 51 years. This doesn't stop them from taking in gobbs of federal funding, more than that allotted to 16 entire States. This includes $33 million in Pell grants. Think of that, the federal taxpayer is subsidizing what is the essential talent mining of poor populations. These organizations are undoubtedly rich enough to cover this measly expenditure.

Its worth noting that as non-profits these institutions pay no taxes on the growth of their endowments.

Why am I bringing this up? Because the for-profit/non-profit paradigm you insist on is BS. The Ivies pay millions in lobbying efforts. The government is full of their graduates. Their endowments are untouchable. They receive billions in federal taxpayer subsidies. By all accounts these are organizations that are run like businesses and they aim to turn a profit, if only for themselves. If this wasn't education we would all decry this is completely corrupt. These top schools have carved out a niche where they are the wealthiest schools in the country, where they receive billions in taxpayer funds, and where they get to cherry pick the best and brightest students so that they can maintain their positions (and funding) on the top of the federal hierarchy. The 114th US Senate boasted 18% of it's membership as graduates of Ivies - imagine if 18% of the Senate were previous Facebook or Twitter employees.

But alas no! It's these dinky Carib Med Schools and their shareholders that are massively distorting federal education funding. The fact that the wealthiest endowments aren't taxed (unlike profits from Carib med schools withdrawn by US shareholders), the fact that these schools command more funding than 16 states, the fact that 18% of a very recent Senate graduated from these schools, that's just smoke, not fire.

Nah, there are massive distortions of the public interest here. The education system broadly is a massive transfer of wealth and power from the taxpayers and small-time students to University administrators and those who sit atop a Government-Research complex. Eisenhower cites this in his farewell address, the one that professors often used to warn about the military-industrial complex but leave unmentioned his warning about the influence of public funding on the university, or vice versa: "Yet, in holding scientific research and discovery in respect, as we should, we must also be alert to the equal and opposite danger that public policy could itself become the captive of a scientifictechnological elite."

Folks will probably respond to this as if I've gone off the rails and taken a discussion about Carib schools way out of context. More my point is that the same charges you hold against Carib schools are equally applicable to almost the entire education system and the schools we are most culturally conditioned to hold in high esteem. Lots of people are making money off our our federal-education complex. It isn't you or I, we will get what is leftover from the fruit of our labor. However, if you think that the noble American taxpayer is getting a good deal out of any of it, I think you are mistaken.

" Lots of people are making money off our our federal-education complex"

Who is making money? You mean the interest we pay to repay a loan I'm assuming. But where exactly, and I mean exactly, does that interest that is completely screwing us go? Does any of it go to the schools as a profit?

Who is making money? You mean the interest we pay to repay a loan I'm assuming. But where exactly, and I mean exactly, does that interest that is completely screwing us go? Does any of it go to the schools as a profit?

I mean everything. The fees charged to process and manage the loans. The actual tuition that gets dumped into University coffers. The bloated beuracracies that continue to expand in wasteful and useless directions. Corporate and moneyed interest that has unique access to steer public academic conversation and scholarship. For instance, I don't think it's coincidental that the Ivory tower is at it's most wealthy and influential while at the same time being homogenously one political ideology.

We've created a system that places one institution as the gatekeeper to the majority of the economy and we had no expectation that it could ever be corrupted or self serving. How ludicrous. Along with all the failed degrees are the useless ones too. The incompetence of some people who get to pass as college grads today is astounding. Let's be real, to be competitive for Med School is quite the challenge but to graduate any college, studying anything, is hardly difficult. We very much have a system where plenty of people simply buy their degree, which offers the student or the country no benefit. What else could we possibly call such an institution that peddles credentials for cash, without regard for merit or rigor, other than a gatekeeper?

No, it goes to very extremely partially compensate the government for the hundreds of billions of dollars of loans it is carrying that will never be repaid, plus the cost to the government of borrowing the money that it is lending out, since it's not exactly sitting around in a giant surplus account. :)

While the interest might be painful, it really isn't "completely screwing us" insofar as there is no place else on earth (other than maybe your parents) to borrow these amounts, without collateral, on terms as good as these (PSLF, IBR, etc.). If there were, we'd be using them instead!!!

While the interest might be painful, it really isn't "completely screwing us" insofar as there is no place else on earth (other than maybe your parents) to borrow these amounts, without collateral, on terms as good as these (PSLF, IBR, etc.). If there were, we'd be using them instead!!!

Okay....

Idk how much student debt you got. If you get into medical school you will get a chance to pay it off eventually.

If you fail to get into medical school, go to a SMP program, and still fail to get into medical school, you will end up with a job paying 50-60 k (comparable to a good tradesman) with about 60-100k in debt.

You will have lost 6-7 years of productivity, you will be 10-20 years behind on building any wealth, and your credit will be more expensive.

Student debt is growing in America. That means schools are getting more expensive and more people are struggling to pay their debts. To say you aren't being screwed over is ridiculous.

Okay....

Idk how much student debt you got. If you get into medical school you will get a chance to pay it off eventually.

If you fail to get into medical school, go to a SMP program, and still fail to get into medical school, you will end up with a job paying 50-60 k (comparable to a good tradesman) with about 60-100k in debt.

You will have lost 6-7 years of productivity, you will be 10-20 years behind on building any wealth, and your credit will be more expensive.

Student debt is growing in America. That means schools are getting more expensive and more people are struggling to pay their debts. To say you aren't being screwed over is ridiculous.
You are not being screwed over insofar as it is a very generous program that runs at a huge loss. Anyone who does not agree has access to private loans, possibly at much better interest rates, that might require collateral or cosigners, and do not provide for principal forgiveness. Whatever issues you have with higher education in America, med students have plenty of opportunities to finance their education outside federal loan programs, and need not submit to being screwed over by anyone.

The point where the ROI on a medical education, even with post-baccs, SMPs or whatever becomes unattractive will be the point at which the famous "sellers' market" will be broken, and the best and brightest among us will move on to something else. Given the incredibly huge demand for a seat in medical school, one could argue, from a purely economic standpoint, that the price of a medical education is a bargain!

Nobody is being screwed over. People are free to make choices and to invest in themselves. Every investment does not always work out. That is very different from being screwed over.

That's interesting. I was genuinely curious and it's always nice to learn more about it. Thanks.

You are not being screwed over insofar as it is a very generous program that runs at a huge loss. Anyone who does not agree has access to private loans, possibly at much better interest rates, that might require collateral or cosigners, and do not provide for principal forgiveness. Whatever issues you have with higher education in America, med students have plenty of opportunities to finance their education outside federal loan programs, and need not submit to being screwed over by anyone.

The point where the ROI on a medical education, even with post-baccs, SMPs or whatever becomes unattractive will be the point at which the famous "sellers' market" will be broken, and the best and brightest among us will move on to something else. Given the incredibly huge demand for a seat in medical school, one could argue, from a purely economic standpoint, that the price of a medical education is a bargain!

Nobody is being screwed over. People are free to make choices and to invest in themselves. Every investment does not always work out. That is very different from being screwed over.

First, Federal subsidized debt is a contributor, not a solution to college cost. The DOE opened the flood-gates on college borrowing and combined that with a college-only initiative. People are paying dramatically more for college because dramatically more people attempt (and fail) college. The fact is that we have an education system that tells everyone they must go to college, and then we expect 17 year olds to be responsible with tens of thousands of dollars worth of decision making. Under any other circumstance this would be considered predatory.

The price of a medical education is a bargain, and part of that is because there is a finite limit of people who can actually achieve residency and license. Thus, schools don't have as control over the pipeline because they can't just indiscriminately make med students (else they end up like Carib schools). However, med schools are unique. You need to look no further than the dramatic proliferation of low-quality NP and DNP programs that have moved to undercut med education. Those are the dynamics at play here. When you give people access to hundreds of thousands of dollars you provide a lot of people with a lot of incentive to do what ever it takes to get a piece of that pie.

And yes, you are getting screwed over. Look at the 1.6 trillion in student debt that has skyrocketed. Look at the skyrocketing price of tuition. This is a debt bubble akin to the housing market in 2007. Think no one got screwed over in that?

An article I found he said he had lower test scores but kept on stressing he graduated “in good standing” with the school so it makes me think it was a mix of poor Step performance and a borderline IA/poor LOR
Can you share the article link?

Ugh I didn’t mean to become a Douglas Medina expert but I did Google him extensively because his writing is like watching a car crash and I’m unable to look away.

Anyways, it’s psychiatry.
I too fell down the rabbit hole investigating him lol. He responded to a YouTube comment asking the specialty, and he said he had applied and interviewed with psych, IM, and FM in 47 states. Psych may not have a ton of spots, but there's no way he couldn't match in FM or IM coming out of Georgetown with honors grades unless there was a major red flag on his application.

1 in 2 IMGs match. That’s a 50-50.

Either email you’re in or you’re out.

Pretty good odds. Not many things are certain in life.
Sure, chances are 50/50, but does it really make sense to buy a $400,000 lottery ticket?

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Which lottery has 1 in 2 odds?
The Caribbean-medical-school-to-residency lottery. Although, to be fair, the odds are better for students who work hard and test well, and worse for those who are academically weaker.

Sure, chances are 50/50, but does it really make sense to buy a $400,000 lottery ticket?
THIS^^^^^^ is really everything. People HATE the fact that it is so difficult to be accepted to a US program, but there is a very good reason for it. They do a ton of screening on the front end, both to make sure everyone they accept is well qualified, as well as to ensure all students are well supported and there is a clinical rotation and residency slot for all of them. They don't all end up matching into one, but, at the outset, there ARE more slots than US graduates each year.

Caribbean schools do none of this on the front end, choosing instead to exploit the difficulty of being accepted into the US system by indiscriminately selling "last chance" lottery tickets to all comers. Many make it work while many others don't. The schools' sin is one of misrepresentation and omission, not of giving some well qualified applicants a last chance they might otherwise be denied.

If everyone buying that lottery ticket had full disclosure that clinical rotation slots for all of them simply do not exist, and around half of them will not survive either the weeding out process they will be subjected to, or the residency match itself, then people would certainly be free to make an informed decision and do what they want with their money and their lives. The problem, as evidenced by many posting in this thread, is that people do not understand that the Caribbean schools employ a for-profit model that is stacked against them. Federal funding of US residency slots does not favor barely qualified US citizens or Green Card holders over better qualified non-citizens, so just making it through the Caribbean gauntlet only guarantees, in the vast majority of cases, that they will be at the back of line competing with each other for a limited number of undesirable residency slots after US graduates have picked through all available opportunities.

The Caribbean-medical-school-to-residency lottery. Although, to be fair, the odds are better for students who work hard and test well, and worse for those who are academically weaker.
yeah, if weak in both academics and test taking no use in going to Caribbean. The success stories I have seen are those who are weak in one but not both and worked hard in medical school.

Tbh the only good reason anyone should go to Carrib is some un overlookable IA that would get them passed on by an MD/DO school, but wouldn't matter much for residency.
Low GPA applicants are at risk of straight up getting kicked out for not passing classes.
Low MCAT applicants are at risk of flunking boards.

Tbh the only good reason anyone should go to Carrib is some un overlookable IA that would get them passed on by an MD/DO school, but wouldn't matter much for residency.
Low GPA applicants are at risk of straight up getting kicked out for not passing classes.
Low MCAT applicants are at risk of flunking boards.
Those with low GPA during first two years of UG but upward trend should do OK

Those with low GPA during first two years of UG but upward trend should do OK

And those people can get into US med schools. It may take a postbacc or a gap year with a cool EC, but it’s very possible. I had like a 2.x after my first 90 credits, and I managed to get it up to a 3.4 after a couple years and a postbacc, and I got into multiple MD schools.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
And those people can get into US med schools. It may take a postbacc or a gap year with a cool EC, but it’s very possible. I had like a 2.x after my first 90 credits, and I managed to get it up to a 3.4 after a couple years and a postbacc, and I got into multiple MD schools.
THIS^^^^^ is exactly right. The people who end up successfully transitioning out of the Caribbean are the very same people who would eventually be admitted to a US program. The problem is, if you don't wait it out until you are accepted to a US program, you are just buying a lottery ticket because you have no way to know for sure. For every n=1 who is certain this doesn't apply to them, goes to the Caribbean, and has everything work out, there are several who end up very disappointed when they are either weeded out or complete the program and cannot find a job as a MD.

Agree on that but know some who chose Caribbean. Reasons given is loss of years and also how difficult it is for ORMs.

Yeah sorry, IMO neither of those are good enough reasons. I started med school at 35 and am a white Jew.
I am just presenting what I hear but personally I also recommend gap years, followed by DO before going abroad.

Yeah sorry, IMO neither of those are good enough reasons. I started med school at 35 and am a white Jew.
you also served in the Navy Medical Corps for 10+ years and was an E-6/7 when you applied? I would say that is cool EC.

you also served in the Navy Medical Corps for 10+ years and was an E-6/7 when you applied? I would say that is cool EC.

Lol not quite. I was an E-6 when I applied, but I had only been in for 7 years and 2 of them were in a Navy sponsored postbacc. And most of my enlisted time was as a Mk38 gunner. But yeah. It definitely helped, but it’s definitely possible to recover and get in without joining the military. Plenty of people do it and are successful in applying every year. Being in the military helped me, but there are so many other cool ECs you can do too while you recover your GPA.

Lol not quite. I was an E-6 when I applied, but I had only been in for 7 years and 2 of them were in a Navy sponsored postbacc. And most of my enlisted time was as a Mk38 gunner. But yeah. It definitely helped, but it’s definitely possible to recover and get in without joining the military. Plenty of people do it and are successful in applying every year. Being in the military helped me, but there are so many other cool ECs you can do too while you recover your GPA.
Yes, but I like seeing a military backround when reviewing candidates. Imo, they handle stress well and adapt better if setbacks occur. Plus having real wold experience prior to med school helps put the med school stress in persepctive. Agreed there are also other cool ECs and ways to rehab GPA.

Yes, but I like seeing a military backround when reviewing candidates. Imo, they handle stress well and adapt better if setbacks occur. Plus having real wold experience prior to med school helps put the med school stress in persepctive. Agreed there are also other cool ECs and ways to rehab GPA.

Yeah I think being older and having real work experience has helped me on the wards. On like my second day, I made a mistake in my presentation and the R2 got on me about it. He apologized later like pretty profusely, and I was like dude I want to get better so thanks for the learning experience lol. Some people just get so devastated at any sort of criticism, and I think it tends to be the younger folks who go straight through (not that all or even most of them are like that).

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you to everyone on this thread for effectively allowing me to procrastinate my studying for finals for the past two hours as I read through every single post 🙏

• Haha
I have not read this whole thread but Match-day twitter saw plenty of AMGs not matching ( for things like OB GYN, Psych, etc.). AMG's.
Caribbean grads are toast, it seems. *sigh* I feel bad for my friend.

I have not read this whole thread but Match-day twitter saw plenty of AMGs not matching ( for things like OB GYN, Psych, etc.). AMG's.
Caribbean grads are toast, it seems. *sigh* I feel bad for my friend.
Not necessarily. There is still SOAP. This year is no different from any other in terms of slots and AMGs. Most of them will land by Friday. And, if by some crazy fluke they don't, that would only be good for your friend, since somebody has to ultimately fill those slots. If it's not AMGs, it's going to be IMGs and FMGS!!!!

Last edited:
Not necessarily. There is still SOAP. This year is no different from any other in terms of slots and AMGs. Most of them will land by Friday. And, if by some crazy fluke they don't, that would only be good for your friend, since somebody has to ultimately fill those slots. If it's not AMGs, it's going to be IMGs and FMGS!!!!
She's only a ....2nd year? So even more time by the time she gets to the match. TBH , that's sort of sad , too. Those are generally the malignant programs nobody wants. Like AMGs don't even want to match there, and those programs aren't ..you know..changed or sanctioned in some way ? ( for example program regularly exceeding duty hour limits). At least it's some place for Caribs to graduate.

I saw a thread on twitter about " biases you face as a Carib grad" and it's like...all those people saying things like " Sure it's "easier" to get in , but we have to work harder. We understand medicine is a privilege and not a right!!!" It was kind of...cringetopia. It's okay if you just say you couldn't get into a US program or where dismissed or something, but acting like it's something you couldn't have known going in ( that you would face discrimination, have to schedule your own rotations). " 30 hr shifts as a third year" Smh what?

She's only a ....2nd year? So even more time by the time she gets to the match. TBH , that's sort of sad , too. Those are generally the malignant programs nobody wants. Like AMGs don't even want to match there, and those programs aren't ..you know..changed or sanctioned in some way ? ( for example program regularly exceeding duty hour limits). At least it's some place for Caribs to graduate.

I saw a thread on twitter about " biases you face as a Carib grad" and it's like...all those people saying things like " Sure it's "easier" to get in , but we have to work harder. We understand medicine is a privilege and not a right!!!" It was kind of...cringetopia. It's okay if you just say you couldn't get into a US program or where dismissed or something, but acting like it's something you couldn't have known going in ( that you would face discrimination, have to schedule your own rotations). " 30 hr shifts as a third year" Smh what?
Link?