XULA - Pharm School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knkx3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm currently attending University of Houston and I want to apply for Xavier's Pharm School for Fall 2010. However, my GPA is not where i would like it to be and I also hear a lot of people tell me that they favor their students more and I probably won't get accepted if I apply. I am a Louisiana resident, I just wanted to go to college out of state after high school. Can anyone give me any feedback on what my chances are for getting accepted? What I could do to better my chance? Thanks so much for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

First off Xavier does favor their students because they spend a ton of money on their pre-pharm classes. Second, they only calculate a pre-pharm GPA so your overall GPA is not a huge factor, they are more concerned about the pre-pharm classes. Third, I think you have a fair chance, I'm applying as a transfer student this year and I'm also a Louisiana resident, so I say apply all they can say is no or yes, you will only have wasted $25.00.

Same here. I am hoping to get into this school because this is the only school that I am applying to. I just move to the state because of my husband on active duty. However, I am three classes from getting a BS. So I am really praying cause I just don't want to wait for another year again. Good luck to all of you guys applying there.

Members don't see this ad :)
To answer your question. A friend of mine who does not attend Xavier applied last year with a 3.9 GPA overall and got rejected. Your chances of getting in is slim to none if you're not their students. They love to get your hopes up so you'll send that $25 in

Maybe your friend bombed the interview. There are actually two transfer students that post on SDN and they both had GPA's around 3.3-3.6 and they got in, so there are chances and anything is possible. If it's meant for you to get into XULA then you will get in.

Peace!

You are right anything is possible. Not because they prefer their students that doesn't mean no one is accepted. I have a friend who is in his 1yr there. He has like a 2.7+ GPA and a BS and got accepted and he wasn't even a student. So you never know.

I am curious to see the demographic breakdown of those accepted.

All I ever hear (yes I said hear, indicating I'm unsure and want to know) is that the vast majority of those accepted are African American.

Anyone have any reputable stats on this? I am seaking enlightenment.

I am curious to see the demographic breakdown of those accepted.

All I ever hear (yes I said hear, indicating I'm unsure and want to know) is that the vast majority of those accepted are African American.

Anyone have any reputable stats on this? I am seaking enlightenment.
Yes that is true , the majority accepted are african american

It is an African American school so 95% of their students is African American. They also have a 0-6 program so their students do get the highest priority, then if any open seats available after then they look at in State students then other States. But they do accepted other students because not all their students get accepted each year. And if their students are not accepted one year they have to completes their BS before they can apply again. It said that on the school website.

Actually I work at Xavier and I can honestly say that the Class of 2012 is actually a mixutre of African American and Asian, I would say half and half for both. You will be surprised at the huge number of Asian students that attend Xavier's 0-6 program for a guaranteed interview for pharmacy school.

Actually I work at Xavier and I can honestly say that the Class of 2012 is actually a mixutre of African American and Asian, I would say half and half for both. You will be surprised at the huge number of Asian students that attend Xavier's 0-6 program for a guaranteed interview for pharmacy school.

tootoo30. Since you work there. Are you aware of anyone getting accepted yet or if they started interviewing anyone as yet?

tootoo30. Since you work there. Are you aware of anyone getting accepted yet or if they started interviewing anyone as yet?

No one has been accepted yet, but they have finished interviewing all of the Xavier students already and they will get their decision in April 2009. Transfer students are scheduled to be interviewed starting in February.

HTH

The only school I apply to this year, well my chance of getting in just faded. I think the school lost one of my recommendation. My recommendator send out the letter 12 November and the school claim that they didn't receive it. They probably just loose it from the large amount of letters that they receives this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has any transfer student heard from Xavier for an interview yet!!!

Yeah, They started interviewing transfers a few weeks ago. I went last week

Yeah, They started interviewing transfers a few weeks ago. I went last week

Are you a resident of Louisiana? I wonder if they have started calling out of state people yet. Im getting nervous. Hope i hear something soon.

I had my interview on January 26 the first day they started interviewing transfer students. I'm from Louisiana so I don't know if they are exclusively interviewing instate students. I'm nervous that we won't find out a decision until the end of April or beginning of May. :oops:

Hey Tootoo30: I have an interview with Xavier COP next week and don't know what to expect. I'm horrible at interviews and get really nervous. I have a couple questions: 1. Do you guys know if they grant interviews to everyone that applied or just ones that they like? 2. Is it the same person that interviews everyone? 3. How long is the interview?

By the way, what does 0-6 mean?

Thanks Tootoo30. Your comments have been really helpful.

If you dont mind sharing, when did they contact you for the interview and are you an instate or out of state student? I am still waiting for a call. I called their office last week and they said they are still interviewing.

Hey Tootoo30: I have an interview with Xavier COP next week and don't know what to expect. I'm horrible at interviews and get really nervous. I have a couple questions: 1. Do you guys know if they grant interviews to everyone that applied or just ones that they like? 2. Is it the same person that interviews everyone? 3. How long is the interview?

By the way, what does 0-6 mean?

Thanks Tootoo30. Your comments have been really helpful.

1. Everyone does not get an interview
2. No, different people are scheduled to do the interviews
3. The interview is only thirty minutes and after that you have to write a paper for thirty minutes

0-6 means that the school has a pre-pharmacy program that students can attend right out of high school, they are guaranteed an interview depending on how many credit hours they have and their GPA.

HTH

I'm an in-state student. They called me last week for an interview. This is my second time applying to XCOP.

Does anyone know how many transfer students Xavier COP usually accept since they do accept mojority of their students? My heart can't take it until end of April. I'm about to die just waiting for the interview next week...:eek:

Does anyone know how many transfer students Xavier COP usually accept since they do accept mojority of their students? My heart can't take it until end of April. I'm about to die just waiting for the interview next week...:eek:

What is your status applying for Fall 2009, and do u know anyway what is the deadline for interviews.

Good Luck for ur interview:thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks!

Xavier just recieved a letter from ACPE. they're on probation right now but Xavier is going to court about it .

Xavier just recieved a letter from ACPE. they're on probation right now but Xavier is going to court about it .
I heard that Xavier doesn't require PCAT? And what happened? Why are they on probation????

I'm an in-state transfer student. I had my interview this week and I'm not quite confident about it. The interviewer must've asked me every interview question in the book. Have you guys gotten a call for your interview yet? Congratulations Ryce4u, I read from one of the posts that you got accepted to ULM and another school.

I'm an in-state transfer student. I had my interview this week and I'm not quite confident about it. The interviewer must've asked me every interview question in the book. Have you guys gotten a call for your interview yet? Congratulations Ryce4u, I read from one of the posts that you got accepted to ULM and another school.

Thanks ! I wanted to go to Xaiver but I'm not too sure anymore after the whole probation ordeal. I still haven't recieved a call for my interview yet. Why are you not so confident about your interview ?

Are you in-state or out of state? Dude, go to ULM - you can give me your spot at Xavier. Just kidding...ok, no, I really mean it. Well, it might be just in my head, but I didn't receive any reactions from the interviewer - was hard to read.

Thanks ! I wanted to go to Xaiver but I'm not too sure anymore after the whole probation ordeal. I still haven't recieved a call for my interview yet. Why are you not so confident about your interview ?

When did u apply ryce4u, and would u mind sharing ur status. I believe the ones like me who didn't get a call will be rejected!!

Because usually they offer interview only during the month of february.

Thanks!

Are you in-state or out of state? Dude, go to ULM - you can give me your spot at Xavier. Just kidding...ok, no, I really mean it. Well, it might be just in my head, but I didn't receive any reactions from the interviewer - was hard to read.

How many questions were asked to you, that you are nit confident about it. I believe u will be accepted, and btw do u know when will be the last group of interviews by xavier.

Thanks and Good Luck :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Are there any other students like me who applied and hasn't heard anything back from them yet. I e-mailed them last time and they asked to just wait. Are there any other students in the same situation, then ur help will be appreciated.:confused::confused:

Thanks

Are there any other students like me who applied and hasn't heard anything back from them yet. I e-mailed them last time and they asked to just wait. Are there any other students in the same situation, then ur help will be appreciated.:confused::confused:

Thanks

Well you are not alone, i did call and they told me they will be interviewing through the month of march. For some reason, they have been very slow this year. Lets just keep our hope up.

Xavier won the lawsuit and the probation status has been removed...we are back on :D

Just to let anyone know, the interviews at Xavier are still going on, I just had mines today and I am a transfer student(in state). Keep yall faith and pray, the interviews are not over yet. GOOD LUCK!!!

Just to let anyone know, the interviews at Xavier are still going on, I just had mines today and I am a transfer student(in state). Keep yall faith and pray, the interviews are not over yet. GOOD LUCK!!!

Hi,

How was your interview, and u transferred from which state to xavier. Would u mind sharing ur status and last question did u recieve any e-mail from xavier before u even got called for interview.

Thanks and Good Luck!!:thumbup::thumbup:

My interview seemed good I did my essay first since I arrive early and I think i finish the whole interview b4 my schedule time, I went ahead of others because I was there early. I did not receive an email but I got a phone call a week b4 my interview. Im from La., I attended school at Dillard University in New Orleans.

I have not received a phone call for an interview yet. I am really panicking and stressing out. Do they call for interviews in alphabetical order? This is my second time applying.

I just received an interview for Xavier =)! I scheduled for March I'm and out of state applicant.

Last edited:
i am an in-state student and still haven't received a call. should i give up hope?

i am an in-state student and still haven't received a call. should i give up hope?

Never give up hope...I think they are still conducting interviews =)

Never give up hope...I think they are still conducting interviews =)
What option (dates) they gave you for the interview. And good luck for the interview.
Would you mind sharing your status. Thanks

What option (dates) they gave you for the interview. And good luck for the interview.
Would you mind sharing your status. Thanks

I was asked to choose any time in March...So I chose towards the end of March since I'm still in school.

My stats are horrible...You wouldn't want to know. :oops:

do y'all know if they call for in-state interviews in alphabetical order? my last name begins with a 'C' and i wanted to know if my chances are shot. thanks!

Last edited:
do y'all know if they call for in-state interviews in alphabetical order? my last name begins with a 'C' and i wanted to know if my chances are shot. thanks!

Hi,

Did u try calling xavier and spoke to one of the admission committe members. I applied also and i didn't hear anything from them yet and i am an out of state student. The last time i e-mailed them, she said they're still processing- so i believe there are very few chances that i am even going to get called for an interview. But u have a great chance by considering the fact that ur an in-state student. I believ they recieved so many applicants this year which made more competitive as always.

Hope we all get call next week and just pray, hope for the best. :xf::xf:

Thanks!!

Hey Turnip:

I'm an in-state transfer student (2nd time applying) and my last name begins with a T. I had my interview in early February. By no means does this mean you should give up hope. Since this is your second time applying, did you get an interview last year?

no, i did not get an interview last year. that makes me feel a little better that they aren't going in alphabetical order.