Choosing a pharm school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

professionalpunk100

Reaction score
I am currently attempting to try and pick a pharmacy school and need a little help. I know I want to go into clinical psychiatric pharmacy (likely) , so I am trying to pick a good school that will help me obtain a residency and clinical opportunities. I also want to put out there that I am not well off and would be paying for school myself (ie. taking out a buttload of loans)

The schools I have accepted to right now and am trying to choose between are USC, Oregon state university, and Washington state university. I know USC is a supposed top school but their tuition is really high and I don't know if it would be worth going that in debt, although I know they have a really great alumni network and it would possibly be easier for me to land a residency/ better job opportunities down the road? I really like OSU and WSU and they have lower tuition but I know WSU doesn't have many hospitals surrounding the area which could be a downfall.

Basically I'm really confused and would love the input of anyone already in the field of pharmacy about what I should consider when picking a school/ esp anyone who went to either of these three schools?!

Members don't see this ad.

Edited your title for clarification.

Two things you look for in a pharmacy program

1) Regional Accreditation
2) Cheapest Tuition (in-state rate if possible)

This day and age, I would never choose a school name to get you a residency. If you get a 4.0 GPA, intern, participate in 2+ board presentations, become the class president, join 3 groups while creating activity sessions with your Rho Chi members, who wouldn’t take you for a residency? You sell yourself for a resident program more than a school in this competitive field.

It’s good you have a specific goal. Keep in mind however, this is a small niche job in the world of pharmacy (90 PGY-2 specialized psychiatric applicants for 2 slots). This is a high risk career when it comes to debt to income ratio.

Nonetheless, If you must pick the profession go to the cheapest program.

Reactions: 3 users

This day and age, I would never choose a school name to get you a residency. If you get a 4.0 GPA, intern, participate in 2+ board presentations, become the class president, join 3 groups while creating activity sessions with your Rho Chi members, who wouldn’t take you for a residency? You sell yourself for a resident program more than a school in this competitive field.

It’s good you have a specific goal. Keep in mind however, this is a small niche job in the world of pharmacy (90 PGY-2 specialized psychiatric applicants for 2 slots). This is a high risk career when it comes to debt to income ratio.

for me it was about

Cheapest Tuition
Cheapest Tuition
Cheapest Tuition
Cheapest Tuition
Cheapest Tuition

only. Most of what I learned in school was self taught.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you!! Helped put things into perspective as far as USC lol

What if when you graduate there are no clinical psychiatric positions available anywhere? what if you are not chosen for even a residency? what re your back up plans? thanks.

Reactions: 1 users
A pharmd is the same in all 50 states. Some schools might have better reputations or rotations than others but still go to the cheapest school you can and create your own experiences.

Where did your stats for psychiatric pharmacy come from?

I would just go for a PsyD or med/PA school and specialize in psychiatry if that is your true passion. The vast majority of PharmDs end up in retail.

Reactions: 1 user