XULA Acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know of a couple of other cases similar to yours.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, just wanted to give you some details about Xula-COP, i am currently in the program in my P 1 yr. Xavier does have a preference for their students but it does not mean that u cant get in if you are a transferred. Xavier has rejected ppl with 2.0's -4.0's. If you think your grades it the only thing they are looking at, you are sadly mistaken. Xavier is always looking for a way each year to get a more diverse group of ppl. I hope you are involve in some community service and have some type of pharmacy experience whether paid or volunteer, these things are a +++. You probably won't here whether u got in til roughly the end of April(how come, that's just Xavier. Irf your Xavier letter looks like a bill, that's not good. It should be fat bulky letter b/c if u get in, u have many forms to feel out. I was rejected a few times before i got in, I AM A TRANSFERRED STUDENT, more than 50% of class is transferred students and non-traditional students(most of us have degrees). the minorities in my class are the pre-pharm Xavier students. Transfer students are most of my class. We have a lot of Asians, some whites, a little others, and the rest African Americans. It's nice to have good grades but Xavier is looking for unique individuals, you need to be active and don't just apply to Xavier if you are serious about pharmacy school, I know a lot of ppl who had their dreams crush b/c they only applied at Xavier, remember, this school is very competitive, the earlier you put in your application in, the better your chances, if you had an interview, it is very likely that you may get in unless you did something crazy at your interview process. Also, the interviewers are many faculty at the school and change each year, other than that, Good Luck to you guys. My average was a 3.38 (not the best) but i had a BS in Biology(which is a ++++++, just having a degree).

According to the Xavier COP website...

15. Must the required courses in theology/religion and philosophy be taken at Xavier University?
Transfer credit for theology/religion and philosophy courses will be accepted if the courses taken are equivalent to those offered by Xavier University. Theology/Religion courses submitted for transfer credit must be taken through an institution’s Theology or Religion Department. A general ethics course will not substitute for Health Ethics (PHIL 2400). The course must be equivalent to a bio-medical or health ethics course taught in a Philosophy Department.

So I want to take these classes at a community college in Texas, but both classes are taught under the Humanities dept. I really dont want to waste money taking these classes at a university especially since I have a bs already. How do they know what dept teaches it? As far as I know the transcript only tells the name of the class and my grade. What gives? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)

15. Must the required courses in theology/religion and philosophy be taken at Xavier University?
Transfer credit for theology/religion and philosophy courses will be accepted if the courses taken are equivalent to those offered by Xavier University. Theology/Religion courses submitted for transfer credit must be taken through an institution’s Theology or Religion Department. A general ethics course will not substitute for Health Ethics (PHIL 2400). The course must be equivalent to a bio-medical or health ethics course taught in a Philosophy Department.

So I want to take these classes at a community college in Texas, but both classes are taught under the Humanities dept. I really dont want to waste money taking these classes at a university especially since I have a bs already. How do they know what dept teaches it? As far as I know the transcript only tells the name of the class and my grade. What gives? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Why don't you call and ask them if it's equivalent?

I did. The lady I talked to at admissions wasn't very helpful. She was in a hurry to get me off the phone actually and I have sent an email that has gone unanswered as well. She just told me to check on the website and that all the info was on the website. I am thinking that they are really preoccupied with this year's applicants. I will call again next week since I am assuming the majority of the decisions have been made already.

I think what they mean is that the theology class has to taught by an actual theology dept. and the health ethics class is taught by the philosophy dept. Your best bet would be to contact the school you're planning on taking the classes at to see whether or not they have a health ethics/bio-ethics course and if their philosophy class is the one that teaches it and the same for the theology class. As far as it being equivalent i would not know myself but obviously students from other institutions do transfer every year without a problem. I wouldn't risk the chance at taking it under the humanities dept and just hoping they don't notice. Im guessing they have thought about this since thats why they were being so explicit with their directions. Just my advice. Good luck

Don't try to take the Health Ethics course in CC. The class they require is a junior/senior level class which is usually labeled 33** or 43**. A friend of mine at Xavier tried to take it at CC, Xavier looked up the description of the course online and did not fit the requirements. Not sure where you are, but TSU offers the Health Ethics class during the Summer. As for the religion class, you can take a World Religions class at a community college. They will accept that.Hope this helps.

On another note, I read on XULA's website that they will send out acceptance letters this Thursday (April 15). Good luck to everybody!:xf:

Don't try to take the Health Ethics course in CC. The class they require is a junior/senior level class which is usually labeled 33** or 43**. A friend of mine at Xavier tried to take it at CC, Xavier looked up the description of the course online and did not fit the requirements.

On another note, I read on XULA's website that they will send out acceptance letters this Thursday (April 15). Good luck to everybody!:xf:

My Biomedical ethics class was a 2000 level at LSU, and it was accepted.

Just got an email addressed from Linda Nash:

This is to inform you that a decision has been made regarding your application. A letter will be mailed today to the address we currently have on file. We ask that you please refrain from contacting the Office of Admissions or the Office of Student Affairs unless you have not received your letter by April 15, 2010.

Also, please note the following comments regarding the three possible decisions that have been made by the Admissions Committee:

Acceptance – Students who have been accepted to the College of Pharmacy will be pre-registered by the Office of Student Affairs for the Fall 2010 semester.

Wait List – Students who have been placed on the Wait List will be contacted by the Office of Student Affairs if an opening becomes available. Please do not contact the office to determine your rank on the Wait List.

Denial – Students who have been denied may contact the Office of Student Affairs beginning April 19, 2010 to discuss any matter regarding the admissions decision.

If you have any questions regarding this letter you may contact the Office of Student Affairs at (504) 520-5397 or via e-mail at [email protected].

We thank you for your interest in Xavier University’s College of Pharmacy. We wish you the best as you continue to pursue your career in pharmacy.

Best regards,

Rondall E. Allen, Pharm.D. Associate Dean for Student Affairs and Curricular Assessment

omg I got the email like that too. If they mail today, then it should arrived tomorrow. So nervous :scared:

Yes i got one today as well. Good luck everyone!!

just got the good news today!!!! so who will be joining me this fall??!!?!?!?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Xavier put me on a waiting list. Does anyone know any information of how this works? What are my chances of actually getting a spot? How many people are on the waiting list? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hey, do you know anything about Xavier's waiting list?

Hey, do you know anything about Xavier's waiting list?

basically, if you're wait listed, they have to see how many people actually accept their seats. if 15 people decline their acceptance, then the first 15 people on the wait list will get admitted until all the spots have been accepted.
i'm still waiting to get my letter in the mail, but if i get accepted, i'll be declining, so you'll be one spot closer on the list.

basically, if you're wait listed, they have to see how many people actually accept their seats. if 15 people decline their acceptance, then the first 15 people on the wait list will get admitted until all the spots have been accepted.
i'm still waiting to get my letter in the mail, but if i get accepted, i'll be declining, so you'll be one spot closer on the list.

Do you know how many people they actually put on the waiting list?

I got half of my pre reqs in Baton Rouge and spent 2 yrs at Xavier. So, yes I guess I am considered a Xavier student at this point.

Hey! I got the good news too! Accepted! I cant wait to meet all of you that i'll be seeing for the next 4 years!!!

For those of you who have to relocate to New Orleans..what are ur plans....dorm or apt?

I was placed on the waiting list, does anyone have any information regarding how many people are in it and what are the chances of anyone getting in from that list. Thanks

I have been accepted too!! :thumbup: After finals, I plan on heading that way to look for a place to stay.

Hey I have a question for those that got accepted. Do you suppose to list only the courses that you are to take over the summer in the box on the Statement of Completed Coursework page? I'm finishing my last 3 required classes this spring semester so I'm not sure if I'm supposed to put those 3 classes in the box or not. I tried to call the pharmacy counselor but she was always busy.

Hey lonley,

I called about that and you only list summer coursework.

who wants my spot? i'll give it to the highest bidder ;) congrats to everyone that got accepted. good luck to those on the waiting list. i'm going to call them wednesday and give up my spot.

Where did you decide to go to instead??

I got into my first choice, UT Austin over a month ago, so I already accepted their offer. Xavier was pretty much last choice on my list. After getting rejected there twice, I decided to branch out this year and apply to several out of state schools this time.

I have been accepted too!! :thumbup: After finals, I plan on heading that way to look for a place to stay.

Hi everyone,
I got accepted into Xavier and wonder should we stay in Dorm or Apartment?

Don't try to take the Health Ethics course in CC. The class they require is a junior/senior level class which is usually labeled 33** or 43**. A friend of mine at Xavier tried to take it at CC, Xavier looked up the description of the course online and did not fit the requirements. Not sure where you are, but TSU offers the Health Ethics class during the Summer. As for the religion class, you can take a World Religions class at a community college. They will accept that.Hope this helps.

Is there anyone know where i should take theology and health ethics classes to fulfill xavier requirement because i got accepted but did not take those classes yet, and I need to take them this summer, but don't know where i should take. thanks for any advise

Hey, as you said above, TSU offers Health Ethics class during the summer but I couldn't find it, do you know what course number and under which subject? Also, are you sure that Xavier will accept World Religion in CC? Thanks for your advise.

Hey Bechut81,

Congrats on getting in! Im probably going to stay in the dorm my first year and hopefully by the second year i'll know some people and maybe room with them in an apt. Where do you live now? Im currently taking the classes you need at OLOL college in Baton Rouge and i would highly recommend the two teachers i have.

Also, if you not sure about a class being accepted...you really should call the college and ask them personally. They can tell you and that way you dont take any chances

TSU's health ethics is under health sciences so it won't transfer to Xavier and UH isnt offering it for Summer I. I'm actually going to take it at LSU. When I asked about taking courses at Community Colleges I was told those credits are accepted...only online courses are not.

anyone knows XULA tuition by any chance? I looked on their website but can't find how much it costs a year.

congrats those get accepted...

I have a non-science related degree so I went back for 2 yrs prereq's.

anyone knows XULA tuition by any chance? I looked on their website but can't find how much it costs a year.

congrats those get accepted...

It's about $22,800 per yr...i think. Go to xavier website and in the search bar type tuition and it will take you to a detailed layout of what it will cost.

Has anyone recieved thier financial aid reward letter yet? What was your EFC and how much aid are you getting?

Hey Bechut81,

Congrats on getting in! Im probably going to stay in the dorm my first year and hopefully by the second year i'll know some people and maybe room with them in an apt. Where do you live now? Im currently taking the classes you need at OLOL college in Baton Rouge and i would highly recommend the two teachers i have.

Thank you very much, I will call them next week to ask them about these classes, cuz i am living in houston, tx and have been looking for these classes but could not find any. is there anyone know about these course offer in houston tx.
also, I think I will stay in the dorm for the first year and then ....like your plan, that is good idea my friend.

Hey Bechut81,

Hi cichlidattack, I am currently living in houston tx, i am very happy that we can be a classmate in the next 4 years at Xavier. Can you please give me the course number and two teachers of these course so i can check if they offer them in summer, cuz I really need to register asap. Thank you very much for your help.

pharmddixon,
My gpa was around a 3.6 when i applied. What about u?

I've also been accepted to Xavier's COP (sooo excited !) .....but I too need theology and health ethics courses. I'm from LA but I currently live in Dallas and I can't find theology anywhere. I looked online and saw that Xavier is offering both of these classes in their summer 2 session, so that seems like the less complicated route for me. As far as dorms or apartments...I haven't decided at all. I guess it will be whatever allows me the most flexibility financially:) If anyone has any advice or better suggestions it would definitely be appreciated. Congrats to everyone that got accepted!!!

I dont know about y'all ...but the dorms are rather expensive for what you get. I've been looking and there are nicer places for cheaper if you have roommates. Crazy thought......but if anyone is interested in the idea of getting a couple people together to rent a house/apt, it will be much cheaper. Plus, we'll all be P1's so we'll all be studying the same material.

Also, i think it would be cool if anyone wants to post facebook/myspace links so we can see who everyone is. Were practically going to be family by the time schools over!

Just wanted to say congratulations to everyone who got accepted in Xavier COP. One thing, choose where u stay wisely b/c financial aid is limited, for some reason, Xavier COP 1st yr students are still consider undergrad, regardless of if u have a degree or not, so be prepared for the undergrad financial aid limits. Im just letting yall know b/c no one told me when I got in and it was a bummer, especially for my whole class. umm...the next 3 yrs, u r considered grad and the money goes up, again, Congrats to yall, take care of those pre-reqs this summer.