XULA Acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HSbF6

Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten an acceptance/denied letter yet? Any info about this school?

Members don't see this ad.

i got interviewed in the first week of february and i'm still waiting for their letter. when did you get interviewed?

around the first week of february also. i asked the interviewer how many students were interviewed this year and he told that about 250 something and they accept about 165 so i think we have a good chance here. any info you could share about this school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I didnt know they were still interviewing! I interviewed the first week in November.

I didnt know they were still interviewing! I interviewed the first week in November.

how did you get interviewed so early? have you received your letter after the interview yet?

Hi
I am a high school student attending LSU in the fall of 2010 and is transferring to XUlA in the fall of 2012 if i get accepted into pharmacy school. i wanted to know if the pre requisites for pre pharmacy at xula are hard or easy. i have a 3.6 in high school now and i also want to know do they accept transfers often are if they just accept their students. please help because i am making my final decision if i should attend xula or lsu for the fall. the reason is because lsu is a lot cheaper than xula. please help

thanks

well they do have a preference for their students, but then I heard more than 50% of the people that got in did not go to their school. I would go with LSU.

oh one more thing, do you guys know their grade requirement for their prerequisite? months ago, I read on their website that you need at least a C. now when I went back, it said you can't make a C. did they just update that?

zip are you a xavier student? cause i heard they interview their students first, then instate transfers and outstate transfers.

pharmddixon if i were you i would go to Xavier if you're serious about doing pharmacy, because they take preference over their own students and you would have a better chance of being admitted. i know people who say the pre-reqs are hard but i also know a few people that aren't too bright that got in to pharmacy school. I guess its all about what you do while you're there and how you manage your time and classes.

lonely i havent heard of that so far but i would try to stick with B's and A's to remain competitive with everyone else. I'm pretty sure a couple C's wont hurt on your transcript but i would try for B's and A's in classes such as Organic Chem and Biology.

If i were you i would volunteer at a retail or hospital setting to see whether you like it and get a feel for what a day in the life of a pharmacist is like. I know alot of pharmacists that say they hate and alot that say they love it. So go test the water for yourself and youll figure it out

Members don't see this ad :)
I have not received any letters from them yet about their decision. The only thing I heard from them, was when they called me a few days ago to see what classes I was taking. They were just making sure I was still on track. I am an out of state transfer student and interviewed in November. I was surprised they called me back a week after I turned in my application. During the interview, when I asked them about when their decision is going to be, they told me I'll find out in April. That's next month! :xf:

I also interviewed the first week of February, and have not heard anything back from them yet. They are the the most unorganized and slllllllllllllloooooooooooowwwwwwwesssstttt pharmacy school I have had the displeasure of dealing with.

Hi
I am a high school student attending LSU in the fall of 2010 and is transferring to XUlA in the fall of 2012 if i get accepted into pharmacy school. i wanted to know if the pre requisites for pre pharmacy at xula are hard or easy. i have a 3.6 in high school now and i also want to know do they accept transfers often are if they just accept their students. please help because i am making my final decision if i should attend xula or lsu for the fall. the reason is because lsu is a lot cheaper than xula. please help
thanks

They accept non-Xavier students into the pharmD program, but I personally think they do give preference to their students. I have a few friends that graduated from there or are currently enrolled and have told me they saw their friends with 3.9-4.0 GPA's from LSU get rejected and students with much less competitive credentials who did prepharm at Xavier get into their class (I suppose the interview could have played a part as well). I graduated from LSU in biology with pretty competitive credentials and tons of experience, and this is my third time applying to Xavier after getting rejected twice already. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they rejected me again this year even though I was accepted to a top 5 program elsewhere. If you are 100% sure you want to go to Xavier, then it might not be a bad idea to do your prepharm there to help your chances of admission. After you deal with their administration, you might have second thoughts about going there. Even my pharmacists that went there and friends there now have told me it doesn't get any better and recommended I should go elsewhere if possible. I would advise you to look up some statistics about the school (Naplex passing rates for example) before making up your mind. They also lost their accreditation temporarily last year, which is like the end all terror if you're a student there. Take what I'm saying with a grain of salt and do your own research though. I'm just drawing from my own and my friends'/coworkers' personal experiences. They are getting a new pharmacy building though, I believe. If distance is an issue for you, then you are quite limited for other options. If you have any questions about pre-pharm or ideas for other schools, feel free to shoot me a message. With the exception of Auburn, all of the other schools in my sig had almost the same prereqs as Xavier's, maybe 1 or 2 extra classes. Also, for someone just starting out, I would highly recommend taking the PCAT as soon as you finish organic chem 2 and lab. I took it 3 years after graduating and reteaching myself all that organic was not fun.

Last edited:
how did you get interviewed so early? have you received your letter after the interview yet?

Ms. Kittles at XULA told me they did some early interviews this year for students who had completed their application packet early on just to get them out of the way and make more space for people who would be interviewing later. I don't think it will result in an early decision if you had an early interview though. Correct me if I'm wrong, Zip?

yeah, I do agree that xula administration is so slow. They make you wait forever. Also, people with gpa 3.9-4 from LSU got rejected? :scared:

Hey people that had interviews from xula. Did you all go to xula or did you all go to another college?
i went to GA Tech for a year then transferred to LSU where I graduated.

yeah, I do agree that xula administration is so slow. They make you wait forever. Also, people with gpa 3.9-4 from LSU got rejected? :scared:

So I am told. Again, this is hearsay, but it came from a friend who is at Xavier COP and did her prepharm at LSU. I only have a 3.56 cumulative GPA, but I have a 97 PCAT composite plus 4.5 years experience as a tech and still expect to be rejected from Xavier again this year. When I interviewed, I asked Mr. Schexnayder how much the PCAT factors into the admissions process since it is a new requirement for XULA. He basically told me that no one will be rejected because of their PCAT scores, and they will only use the PCAT to determine potential "deficiencies" in accepted students which kind of sounded like a crock of s**t to me. Especially since they will not make you take remedial classes if you are accepted and have a low score in a certain subject. If they are not using PCAT scores to assist in ranking applicants, it kind of seems to me like they started requiring it to weed out a number of applicants who aren't serious/determined about pharmacy school and to make it seem like they have a higher standard for admission now after the big accreditation mess from last year.

i think they are using the pcat this year for the essay part alone, because when i went for the interview i didn't have to write an essay as previous applicants/students had to do. they may use the actual scores next year or in years to come im not sure.
But yea i heard about a few LSU students getting rejected, actually i know a few that were and a few from UNO as well. I also know of a pharmacy student that had a 2.8 gpa that got in to xavier, although that student completed pre-reqs at xavier. So i think there are many factors that determine whether you're accepted or not.

i think they are using the pcat this year for the essay part alone, because when i went for the interview i didn't have to write an essay as previous applicants/students had to do. they may use the actual scores next year or in years to come im not sure.
But yea i heard about a few LSU students getting rejected, actually i know a few that were and a few from UNO as well. I also know of a pharmacy student that had a 2.8 gpa that got in to xavier, although that student completed pre-reqs at xavier. So i think there are many factors that determine whether you're accepted or not.
Yea you're right. I had to do an essay at the interview last year, and Mr. Schexnayder specifically told me that I didn't have to do one this year b/c they used the PCAT writing scores. Make us go through a lot more work to make their jobs slightly easier lol. I had hoped they would use the PCAT to make decisions more fair in not giving preference to Xavier's prepharm students who sometimes have lower credentials, but it doesn't sound like that's the case.
Idk anymore it seems like my dreams are shut down. XULa prolly won't accept me cause I go to LSU. But I think I'm going to LSU

I wouldn't give up. I would still try, but don't put all your eggs in one basket. Trust me, once you start your application and have to deal with their administration, you will understand the frustration I am expressing and hope you get in anywhere else. As I mentioned before, there are a lot of other schools with similar prereqs.

Ms. Kittles at XULA told me they did some early interviews this year for students who had completed their application packet early on just to get them out of the way and make more space for people who would be interviewing later. I don't think it will result in an early decision if you had an early interview though. Correct me if I'm wrong, Zip?

I'm pretty sure there won't be an early decision either. Supposedly, everybody will know if they got in or not in April. I did speak with a few of the current XULA pharmacy students after the interview, and according to them, Xavier gives preference to their students that did their pre-pharmacy there since they paid so much when attending. I did all my pre-pharmacy classes at a different school, but I did tell them that I will be taking courses there during the summer if accepted. So hopefully that will work in my favor. :laugh:

I'm pretty sure there won't be an early decision either. Supposedly, everybody will know if they got in or not in April. I did speak with a few of the current XULA pharmacy students after the interview, and according to them, Xavier gives preference to their students that did their pre-pharmacy there since they paid so much when attending. I did all my pre-pharmacy classes at a different school, but I did tell them that I will be taking courses there during the summer if accepted. So hopefully that will work in my favor. :laugh:
yea i went there for 1 semester and i plan on taking a couple of classes during the summer there if they in fact accept me, so im hoping for the same.

By the way, just to give you guys a timeframe if you're waiting to hear back from Xavier, I didn't get a rejection letter after my interview last year till May 25 or 26th. I interviewed at the end of Jan or beginning of Feb last year. I tried calling/emailing a couple times, but they wouldn't tell me anything. The letter was actually dated for May 12th. I live in Baton Rouge so it should have taken 1, maybe 2 days at most to get here. Why it took Xavier 2 weeks to mail a rejection letter is beyond me. Guess it's just the Xavier way. So I guess my point is, don't get nervous that you haven't heard anything back yet. They are just super slow there and I guess don't take into consideration that applicants need time to make decisions about schools.

wow. one of the pharmacist that i work with told me that he didnt get his acceptance letter until july when he got in. wow

none....hopefulley around the end of april even though they say april 15th im not looking forward to hearing anything until then.

hey do you guys know if any students from lsu got accepted to xula cop. if so how many? how do they base their admission on academics, extra cirricular activites, race, pcat score?

This is pretty much the same answer I gave above. I know a few people that have gotten into Xavier from LSU, but it will probably make it harder to get in. It is a predominantly African-American school, so they probably want to accept as many African-American students as possible because that is their mission, to give African-American students a better opportunity for a chance at higher education. That said, I know several white students and even more Asian students that went there, though. Academics, experience, and extracurriculars should play a large part of admissions, but it's kind of a crapshoot with this school if you didn't give them your money for tuition (and lots of it) during prepharm. PCAT didn't sound like it will play a huge factor in this year's admissions. I think they required it to make it SEEM like their admissions were getting more stringent after losing accreditation, to weed out some of the more not serious students, and also so they wouldn't have to grade essays at the interviews (these are just my personal opinions). I'm an LSU alumni, so I'll let you know if I get accepted this year or not (don't hold your breath...probably won't be till May or June - first school I interviewed with this year, last one to hear back).

Last edited:
xavier called me today telling me to fax them my pcat score because pearson didn't send it to them or something like that. did it happen to you guys?

no they got mine. they probably just misplaced it and dont want to admit to it lol

xavier called me today telling me to fax them my pcat score because pearson didn't send it to them or something like that. did it happen to you guys?

Wow. I'm surprised they would even ask you to do that and accept the score report from an applicant instead of Pearson themselves. I think HSBF6 is right. They probably lost it and don't want to admit it, so they'll bend the rules and accept it from you to cover their ass.

Wow. I'm surprised they would even ask you to do that and accept the score report from an applicant instead of Pearson themselves. I think HSBF6 is right. They probably lost it and don't want to admit it, so they'll bend the rules and accept it from you to cover their ass.

no they requested pearson to resend it to them. I logged on pearson and saw that there was a transcript request sent to xavier (not sure if I have to pay for that 20 bucks or they're paying it). I guess while they are waiting for the official one, they asked to me fax my copy to them.

Do you guys know the pass/fail ratio on the state license exam of students graduating from xavier? Someone just told me that the pass rate was low.

Yea i heard it was low compared to the national average and that's why they were put on probation last year so i heard but not 100% sure. I guess its pretty much all up to each student how they carry themselves through the pharmacy school experience. I'm pretty sure whatever pharmacy school has the highest average of naplex pass rates isn't preparing their students solely to pass that test. All im saying is that you cant really put all the blame on the school.

no they requested pearson to resend it to them. I logged on pearson and saw that there was a transcript request sent to xavier (not sure if I have to pay for that 20 bucks or they're paying it). I guess while they are waiting for the official one, they asked to me fax my copy to them.

Do you guys know the pass/fail ratio on the state license exam of students graduating from xavier? Someone just told me that the pass rate was low.

yea, they better pay the 20 bucks if it was their fault for losing it. i would nicely explain to them that the mistake was not yours, and you should not have to foot the bill for their error. according to uspharmd.com, the national average is 93%, and xavier is ranked 85/88 :eek: on their list with a passing rate of of 82.11%. i'm not sure when this survey was done or how official those stats are though. i've heard it's lower than a lot of schools myself, and i've worked with xavier grads that had trouble passing the naplex several times (and also many that did and didn't know what the hell they were doing in the workplace). i'm not saying all of their grads are like this. i know lots of great pharmacists that went there, but it seems like xavier has lower standards than lots of other schools, allowing some students to coast by and graduate without learning all the necessary material if they don't want to.

Yea i heard it was low compared to the national average and that's why they were put on probation last year so i heard but not 100% sure. I guess its pretty much all up to each student how they carry themselves through the pharmacy school experience. I'm pretty sure whatever pharmacy school has the highest average of naplex pass rates isn't preparing their students solely to pass that test. All im saying is that you cant really put all the blame on the school.

i think the probation actually had to do with their student to teacher ratio and some problems with clinical rotations but not the NAPLEX.

around the first week of february also. i asked the interviewer how many students were interviewed this year and he told that about 250 something and they accept about 165 so i think we have a good chance here. any info you could share about this school?

Wow, i cant believe that's all they interviewed. I wonder if that was how many they did when you asked..or total?

I have not received any letters from them yet about their decision. The only thing I heard from them, was when they called me a few days ago to see what classes I was taking. They were just making sure I was still on track. I am an out of state transfer student and interviewed in November. I was surprised they called me back a week after I turned in my application. During the interview, when I asked them about when their decision is going to be, they told me I'll find out in April. That's next month! :xf:

Zip Zap...how many credits did you have remaining for spring and summer? Does anyone know if everyone get's those calls? To see if your on track? I interviewed in November and didnt recieve a call or anything, and now i'm sweating. Has anyone else gotten a follow-up phone call?

Last edited:
Hey,
I just noticed they updated thier FAQ's to say that they have approximatley 500 applicatant. It used to say 1000. And for the person who was asking if C's werent accepted...they are. It says that you need a C or better for pre-pharmacy courses, but a C- is not accepted.

Are we allowed to post the names of who interviewed us? Im just wondering who everyone had?

Are we allowed to post the names of who interviewed us? Im just wondering who everyone had?

I don't see why not. I named my interviewer in a post above. I'm fairly new here though, so I hope that's kosher. If not, lemme know and I'll remove his name. I guess it makes it easier for schools to identify you (if you're worried about that) in this forum if they read it though.

Does anyone know what the post interview rejection/waitlist letter look like? I read in last year's forum that acceptance letters are in a big off-white envelope. Just curious...

I don't see why not. I named my interviewer in a post above. I'm fairly new here though, so I hope that's kosher. If not, lemme know and I'll remove his name. I guess it makes it easier for schools to identify you (if you're worried about that) in this forum if they read it though.

Okay. I was asking because i know some schools are strict with keeping things confidential.

hey lonely did you take the pcat in jan. or oct? It seems as though xavier is having problems receiving pcat scores for people who took it in jan.

Does anyone know what the post interview rejection/waitlist letter look like? I read in last year's forum that acceptance letters are in a big off-white envelope. Just curious...

Xavier typically mails out the acceptance letters first, which are in the large, off-white envelopes with a bunch of papers in it. The rejection letters are later mailed in standard sized envelopes.

I took mine in Jan. How did you know xavier is having problems receiving Jan pcat?

rx2010, what month did you receive your acceptance letter?