Xavier University (Aruba) Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maka86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got accepted into Xavier University but am having trouble finding out if this school will provide me with the necessary knowledge and quality of education as compared to other more, well known Caribbean schools such as SGU or Ross.

I'm having iffy feelings about actually going to attend this school as they did not requite MCAT scores and the interview was done by phone.

Has anyone graduated from here or have any info on this school?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Did you try looking on the ValueMD forums?

It is safe for me to assume that if it isnt on that forum and no one on this forum has commented on it, then you probably shouldnt go.

But I say this with no knowledge of the school. IMO, if the school doesnt accept MCAT scores for admission, then it should raise a BIG RED FLAG!

Your parents and you will be wise to look this one up and down, inside and out before attending. My advice is to call the admissions office and ask for a list of alumni that you can speak with. If no such list exists, then you will see that it isnt a good option for you.

rlxdmd

Yeah I checked on value MD awhile ago and the school is mentioned, so thats a little comforting.

The thing I'm most worried about though is the quality of education that I'll receive and if it is good enough to take and pass USMLE's. I will try to contact admissions and ask for a list of alumni as this sounds like a good idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not go there.

I would only go to one of the top 3/4 Caribbean med schools, that has a proven track record of placing people into US residencies at a high rate. Also, if the school isn't approved in all or most US states, then where you can practice later will be limited even if you manage to pass the USMLE and get a residency. Don't waste your money. It would be better to improve your application and try for a different/better school IMHO.

Yeah I checked on value MD awhile ago and the school is mentioned, so thats a little comforting.

The thing I'm most worried about though is the quality of education that I'll receive and if it is good enough to take and pass USMLE's. I will try to contact admissions and ask for a list of alumni as this sounds like a good idea.

The reputation of the school does play a significant role in the interview/match/scramble process. Program directors have a general idea of which institutions produce productive and functional residents. If they have the choice, they tend to interview students from the top 4 or 5 carib schools, because there is a proven track record.
Find out what track record Xavier has, and how many of their grads have received residency placement?

IMO, passing the USMLE just isnt enough to get your foot in the door. If you dont believe me ask the dozens of foreign born IMGs that score in the high 90s on all their steps and fail to receive interview offers from most of the programs they apply to.

Please dont attend Xavier because its your only option!
Take the time to improve your CV. Otherwise you will be fighting an uphill battle for the next 4-5 years. IMO, enrolling in a new medical school is a very big gamble. Med school is hard enough without the stress of defending the institution that you trained at!

rlxdmd

Thanks for all the help guys! I probably will not be attending this school as of now.

I wish more students were wise enough to request the help of recent grads before jumping in to the rough waters of the caribbean medical education seas.

rlxdmd

Darn, I wrote a whole essay about Xavier but hit the back button and it's gone now. Isn't that the best feeling in the world? :p

Anyway, I'm a current student at Xavier and I love it. The school has a lot of amazing things to offer and there are many changes being put in to effect this fall by the owners. The best thing about the school is that it's in Aruba, one of the most developed islands in Caribbean. That really makes a difference. I never feel I'm far from home, and that really allows me to feel better and perform better at school. Many people don't look in to this beforehand, but where you live makes a big difference on your overall well being and directly affects your performance in school. Several of my friends from Ross absolutely hated the island and their lifestyle there...and it really took a toll on them mentally and physically.

In addition, the school has graduates who have pre-matched and matched this year in great residency programs. The school can do for you what any other school can. I have 2 bestfriends that go to Ross, some at SGU, etc., but I still chose to come to Xavier and I'm very happy with my decision. The 'Big 4' might have better facilities, more clincial sites right now - but in the end we're going to be viewed as equal. A school from the caribbean is a school from the caribbean. The 'Big 4' vs. others plays no significant role in the eyes of residency boards. Sure it may trigger a sense of familiarity for some, but other than that, it's really your Step 1 score, GPA, Clinical grades, and letters of recommendation that will really matter when it comes to you getting an interview or not.

The school has just hired a new President of Academic Affairs who was previously on the Residency Board of the University of Florida for 15 years. I've met and spoke to him and this man is brilliant. His top goal right now is to help us obtain more greenbook clincinal sites and help us get in to the best residencies possible. I have full faith in him and his goals and the school will be seeing a lot of big things from him in the near future. A new academic curriculum is also being put in to place this fall and we should be getting NY state approval by the end of next year. Just for those confused, we can currently PRACTICE in NY without approval, the approval is for clinicals(since right now you can only do 12 weeks there). You can practice in TX, Florida, and even California as long as you finish your residency and complete a board certification for that state. This is coming straight from the President of Academic Affairs. He was previously the dean of St. Mathews for those who may know him.

I have a plethora of information so feel free to PM me. Good luck with your decision!

Last edited:
I don't see much point in taking such a huge risk by going to that type of school, when there are other options available. I wouldn't recommend anyone to go to a school like that, when there are other schools in the Caribbean that are willing to publish their board pass rates and show their match lists, and are considered approved medical schools in >> number of US states, and have more established clinical rotation sites (the latter is VERY important to your education as a medical student). If one cannot get into any of the top 3-4 Caribbean med schools, I would really be worried...getting into med school is just one hurdle...you have to be able to get a US residency and get a license to practice. Don't be the guinea pig for a school that isn't yet established.
IM fellow.

The best thing about the school is that it's in Aruba, one of the most developed islands in Caribbean. That really makes a difference. I never feel I'm far from home, and that really allows me to feel better and perform better at school.

Having a good island to study on for 18 months is not the singular most important feature of a medical school in the caribbean. This may make you feel better between class and studying in the library.

Dont overlook the fact that your school doesnt have ESTABLISHED clinical sites like the BIG 4. Also they are in the process of changing their academic curriculum; this leads me to believe there was something originally wrong with the curriculum. I agree with Dragonfly, no one should be Xavier's guinea pig if they can get into a more ESTABLISHED institution.

In addition, the school has graduates who have pre-matched and matched this year in great residency programs. The school can do for you what any other school can...

IF that is something your school is proud of then please have them post their official pre-match and their 2009 match list for this OP to observe. I am also curious to know which of my colleagues across the country are Xavier grads.

The 'Big 4' might have better facilities, more clincial sites right now - but in the end we're going to be viewed as equal. A school from the caribbean is a school from the caribbean. The 'Big 4' vs. others plays no significant role in the eyes of residency boards.

You will not be viewed as equal IMO. You are comparing your school with those institutions that have their alumni entrenched in the graduate medical education machine. Every institution I interviewed at for residency had residents and graduates working as attendings from my BIG 4 school! It was a boost to my resume. The name on your diploma does matter and it brings with it a reputation! Dont mislead the OP.

The school has just hired a new President of Academic Affairs who was previously on the Residency Board of the University of Florida for 15 years. I've met and spoke to him and this man is brilliant. His top goal right now is to help us obtain more greenbook clincinal sites and help us get in to the best residencies possible.

I am glad to hear they are trying to improve their program by hiring some one with tremendous talents and experience.
The institution you attend is a work in progress. It may become a great place to study, but as it stands, it is not EQUAL to the BIG 4. Please share your facts with us but do not mislead the prospective applicants to your school.

IMHO, their money and time, and their internal effort is best rewarded if they attend an established institution such as SABA, Ross, SGU, and AUC, in no particular order.

rlxdmd

hi everyone, i am decideing to go to xavier university 6-year medical program i am currently a junior and thinking of aplly plz be honest anmd tell me that if my decsion is rite, thx

hi everyone, i am decideing to go to xavier university 6-year medical program i am currently a junior and thinking of aplly plz be honest anmd tell me that if my decsion is rite, thx

No, not in my opinion.
What is your citizenship status/nationality?
Where do you currently attend school? Are you a junior in college/university in the US or Canada?

Is there anybody going to Xavier in the fall? BecauseI am and I don't know anyone overseas and I'm kind of nervous about going off on my own

Is there anybody going to Xavier in the fall? BecauseI am and I don't know anyone overseas and I'm kind of nervous about going off on my own

I'm going in Fall 2009. But it's for the Pre-MD program. I majored in business and I haven't taken my physics and organic I & II yet.

Hi, Pattycake! I am also attending Xavier and I'm going in January...I would like to know what you're doing about apartments and financial aid...I'm really nervous!

Last edited:

I'm assuming your enrolling in Xavier's 6-year medical school program straight out of high school. Honestly, if you are a resident of the US or Canada, I would highly recommend you obtain a bachelors degree before attending medical school. If you are unable to complete your education at Xavier, or change your mind or it turn's out to be a poor institution, or any other reasons, you will have very limited opportunities with just a high-school diploma. I would suggest, going to a college/university in US/Canada. I also looked into the same program, seduced by the idea of becoming a doctor in just 6 years of graduating high school, and was quickly accepted with a 1310 SAT Score and 3.6 GPA from a Blue-Ribbon High School in the US. However, I turned it down, because looking into the future, an US Graduate will always be looked upon better than a Carribean Graduate in the US and even around the world. Recently, US Medical Schools have been expanding acceptance into their programs in order to decrease the US's dependence on Foreign Graduates.

Last edited:
I recently got accepted into Xavier University but am having trouble finding out if this school will provide me with the necessary knowledge and quality of education as compared to other more, well known Caribbean schools such as SGU or Ross.

I'm having iffy feelings about actually going to attend this school as they did not requite MCAT scores and the interview was done by phone.

Has anyone graduated from here or have any info on this school?

Thanks

Most definitely stay away from Xavier University School of Medicine! .Xavier University has an office in Waterbury, Long Island, NY and the school is in Aruba. Don't waste your time and money! they are a lost cause!

They will get a student to apply and with the application write lengthy essays, and send in academic credentials , and recommendations. However, they are in the wrong business! medical School teaches compassion towards others as well as medical sciences. They are greedy and want your money and couldn't careless!

They will get you to turn in over $1,000 deposit and there are very limited loans and really no financial aid , offer a skimpy scholarship to a few students. Then there are many thousands of dollars a student has to come up with out of his or her own pocket like: Housing, Immigration Student Visa, Travel, Tuition and the list goes on. Unless the student comes from a very rich and wealthy family: great! Otherwise, can't afford to pay the out of pocket expenses , they will take your hard earned money in deposit , and it will be history ! The XUSOM couldn't careless and they are selfish and greedy! You will be **** out of luck!

The Director of Admissions is not a Doctor or someone with a premed or Biomedical Science Major background but an incompetent: Cory Sussman in the business of making money from Las Vegas , NYC , and throughout the world, and just a former AFLAC Medical Insurance Sales and benefits person.

The XUSOM will take your money and screw you over! They just want your money vice really training and educating Physicians and Doctors of Medicines! they screwed over many students over the years!