WWYD - Take Guaranteed Interview or Wait Until Next Cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LetsDoThisThrowaway

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would you do in my situation?

I'm a non-trad who will be applying next cycle. I came from a non-science background with an okay GPA. I worked for a year at a non-profit and long story short realized medicine is for me. I then transitioned into a 2-year SMP program where I finished all the required pre-reqs the first year and took med school courses the second year. In this program I achieved a 3.98 and somehow snagged a 524 on the MCAT in late August.

Now, this program allows me a guaranteed interview to a "no name" private MD school this March. I'm quite confident they'd accept me, but my question is this - should I do this interview? Obviously if I get accepted I must take it as it would be poor character not to and just plain foolish.

I've talked to several advisers and they've stressed it's my call telling me that if I take the interview that's cut-and-dry the med school I'll be going to but if I wait until next cycle to apply I have a decent shot at Top 20 schools.

What would you do if you were in my shoes? I'm 26 if you'd like to take that into account.

PS - I hope this doesn't come off, for lack of a better word, dickish, it's just an important decision that I have to make quite soon.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
3.98/524.. I'd wait. And that's strictly based on numbers. I think with those stats it can open a lot of doors to really great programs, granted that you have other ECs and no red flags. 26 is still very young, I wouldn't factor that in. If you're comfortable waiting and applying next cycle then I would just wait. Those are not marginal average stats. You seem like you wouldn't be too happy at the institution you're granted an interview for anyways with the verbiage you use. "No name"... But another thing to consider... what would you do in this year off waiting?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Take the interview. You'll be a doctor.

And I'm trying to say this in the nicest possible way, but you're not God's gift to medicine, so don't think that you're a shoo in at Top Tier schools.

Many of have so many high-performing applicants who don't need to reinvent themselves that they can afford to ignore applicants like you. That said, schools like Vandy, Duke and UCSF do, but you have a sure thing, and that beats a hypothetical.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I'm a non-trad who will be applying next cycle. I came from a non-science background with an okay GPA. I worked for a year at a non-profit and long story short realized medicine is for me. I then transitioned into a 2-year SMP program where I finished all the required pre-reqs the first year and took med school courses the second year. In this program I achieved a 3.98 and somehow snagged a 524 on the MCAT in late August.

Now, this program allows me a guaranteed interview to a "no name" private MD school this March. I'm quite confident they'd accept me, but my question is this - should I do this interview? Obviously if I get accepted I must take it as it would be poor character not to and just plain foolish.

I've talked to several advisers and they've stressed it's my call telling me that if I take the interview that's cut-and-dry the med school I'll be going to but if I wait until next cycle to apply I have a decent shot at Top 20 schools.

What would you do if you were in my shoes? I'm 26 if you'd like to take that into account.

PS - I hope this doesn't come off, for lack of a better word, dickish, it's just an important decision that I have to make quite soon.
With your listed stats, you definitely would have a good chance at the top 20 schools if you decide to wait and apply early next year.
But it also depends on your extra curriculars. Many of the top 20 are research heavy, if you haven't gotten much research experience, you can build that until next year's application. Also continue volunteering (clinical and nonclinical, also with underserved if possible) and shadowing to increase your success rate.
For some schools that prefer high stats, your undergraduate GPA could be a hindrance (not sure what yours is) but focus on schools that employ a more holistic app review approach.
Overall, I'd recommend waiting and building a very strong application if you think other schools may be a better fit than the "no name private MD" you're at.

Reactions: 1 user
Take the interview. You'll be a doctor.

And I'm trying to say this in the nicest possible way, but you're not God's gift to medicine, so don't think that you're a shoo in at Top Tier schools.

Many of have so many high-performing applicants who don't need to reinvent themselves that they can afford to ignore applicants like you. That said, schools like Vandy, Duke and UCSF do, but you have a sure thing, and that beats a hypothetical.

Also very sound advice, thank you.

Thanks! Yes, I hope I didn't sound too harsh. My experiences with the faculty and professors at said school have been great, just fear what opportunities it could hinder me from especially with their own adviser telling me I should consider waiting to apply to other schools.

My ECs are pretty much just 'okay.'

I spent the two summers in the SMP doing clinical research, volunteering, with a decent amount of shadowing in between.

During my undergrad years I wasn't planning on going to med school so didn't acquire any shadowing experience or clinical volunteering, though did rake up a decent amount of hours volunteering at many fundraisers throughout the year, both medical and non-medical related.

What would you plan to do if you waited until next cycle? Any plans to continue to improve your application?

What would you plan to do if you waited until next cycle? Any plans to continue to improve your application?

I'm currently working as a clinical research coordinator (paid) at the institution I was assisting with during my summers. I recently applied to a volunteer position at a downtown clinic, that as someone mentioned above is around serving the undeserved and disparaged communities of the city I'm in.

I will also be able to shadow some of the PIs and fellows here in Heme/Onc (which I'm really favoring at the moment)

My vote is to wait. Roll the dice, but keep in mind, you may not get an interview next cycle (doubtful, but playing devil's advocate), I just think that you can really use this time to only better your app, and have a really successful cycle to programs you're really interested in.

My vote is to wait. Roll the dice, but keep in mind, you may not get an interview next cycle (doubtful, but playing devil's advocate), I just think that you can really use this time to only better your app, and have a really successful cycle to programs you're really interested in.

The egg would truly be on my face if I got no II after choosing to wait! That's a humbling experience I really hope I wont encounter :p

Personally, I’d take the guarantee...

...but I also don’t have a 3.98/524.

The problem you run in to at T20s is that EVERYONE not only is in your academic range (LM 75+?) but also has sterling ECs: publications, founded nonprofits, hundreds of Shadowing hours, thousands of non clinical hours. You need to be sure you can compete on BOTH an academic AND extracurricular level before turning down your surefire interview.

But, if you can, I really think it’s worth a shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Another vote to take the interview. You have good stats, but things get trickier for us with SMP GPA’s. While it would be great to go to a Top 20, not even undergrads with stats like yours are guaranteed to get in because they are the ultimate crapshoots (and thats saying a lot since MD admissions are a crapshoot in general) and there is only a marginal benefit to going to a school like that anyway. Plenty of people go to state schools over schools like that simply because of financials, for example. Everyone is on the same playing field more or less when it comes to the Step etc. If you do well on all that, you will stand out no matter where you are from. I recall a residency program director saying that the med school an applicant went to is low on the list of factors considered.

You should take the interview and only if you don’t get in, try another cycle. You wouldn’t be a reapplicant at any school anyway so there wouldn’t be a downside to taking this approach.

s there any hurt in throwing in a state school or two on the application?

Absolutely, go for it. You might even want to add just a few schools you really like. Don't go crazy as it is most likely a Hail Mary and you probably don't want to waste the money but I see no reason not to throw out 5 apps or so to places you really like.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If medical school was like law school (where it's top 14 or bust), I would wait. But it's not. You can go to Harvard and become a primary care physician (not knocking on them, it's the least competitive specialty), or you can go to Podunk and become a radiation oncologist or dermatologist.

I don't think anyone has asked this yet, do you actually like the med school you did your SMP at? Having a pretty much guaranteed acceptance is nice, but only if you like the school. And I think liking where you go to school and being happy there is super important.

Reactions: 1 users
An unsultry 3.4 ;_;

Well, I have experience with their M1 classes, faculty, professors. M1-M2 I would mainly be "on my own" at any school so it's hard to judge from there, but I do enjoy their emphasis on Step 1 prep with all their exams having USMLE-styled questions. Out of curiosity in seeing how their curriculum flowed I glanced through FA and they seem to follow the content there to a tee, which I imagine is a good thing - little to no testing on the trivial.

However, I know nothing of their clerkship years which I assume matters more. The hospitals seem to be far and in between, which I do not like and they don't seem to be the best hospitals either.

I'm curious what school, PM me if you are ok sharing

I don't think more prestige is a good reason to wait, but there are other things to think about. If money is an issue I would wait. This school will know they're your one and only option if you interview so they will have less of an incentive to be generous. Plus they're private, so therefore probably more expensive than your state school alternatives. Likewise, if location is an issue I would wait. You want to live somewhere you'll be happy for four years.

I don't think more prestige is a good reason to wait, but there are other things to think about. If money is an issue I would wait. This school will know they're your one and only option if you interview so they will have less of an incentive to be generous. Plus they're private, so therefore probably more expensive than your state school alternatives. Likewise, if location is an issue I would wait. You want to live somewhere you'll be happy for four years.

Money was/is definitely a factor.

Fortunately, location wise, it's keen.

I am also interested in what school/SMP, as different doors may be open to you depending on the place. If you're comfortable sending a PM I'd be interested to hear

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

OP your stats make you top 10 worthy, if not, a great mid tier would likely admit you. Going against the crowd here, but this whole "you'll be a dr anyway" argument is BS. Look up any top tier residency at any top tier hospital and you'll see MD school name recognition matters. I'd actually say wait the year and apply June 1, 2018. Don't settle for podunk SOM with your stats - if you had a 3.1 and a 499 and got this guaranteed acceptance, then yea, definitely take it, but that's not you. You're better than that. GL op - looking forward to reading your "Accepted to __ med school <top tier>" next year. Congrats!

I would forgo the interview but still apply broadly in the next available cycle. This talk of T20 schools is pleasant and all, and you may land one in the end, but generally they can attract applicants who did not need a SMP in the first place.

I have a strong suspicion that I know what program you are in, and if you can get into another school with a stronger, more cohesive clinical education component, that will pay dividends down the road.

I would forgo the interview but still apply broadly in the next available cycle. This talk of T20 schools is pleasant and all, and you may land one in the end, but generally they can attract applicants who did not need a SMP in the first place.

I have a strong suspicion that I know what program you are in, and if you can get into another school with a stronger, more cohesive clinical education component, that will pay dividends down the road.
I'm not limiting OP to the top 20. Obviously s/he should apply to the suggested list of schools with a healthy amount of "attainable schools," a few safeties, and a few top tiers.

Or that ambitious, high performing students tend to choose schools that are further up the ranking food chain.
Ambitious high performing students exist at all medical schools, MD and DO. Yet, why do the top of the top still only admit the high performers of certain "brand name" schools?

They don't.
To my knowledge, every school has a valedictorian and salutatorian. While they may not disclose ranks, they're still highly motivated and well accomplished. Compare the best of the best from a humble state school to the top of HMS. They don't have equal opportunity when applying for residency.

They don't have equal opportunity when applying for residency.

Perhaps not, but your approach of looking up a "top" hospital and then examining the pedigrees of the residents in their "top" residency programs and then assuming that school name is the deciding factor would not pass the critical reasoning 101 seminar at Deer Ass Community College.

Reactions: 3 users
Perhaps not, but your approach of looking up a "top" hospital and then examining the pedigrees of the residents in their "top" residency programs and then assuming that school name is the deciding factor would not pass the critical reasoning 101 seminar at Deer Ass Community College.
It isn't the only factor, but to say it means nothing, is wrong.

Thank you all again for the advice.

I'm going to take the interview, and since I'm already interviewing this cycle at an almost-guarantee I am also throwing some applications out to my state schools and two other schools familiar with the program I was in and its graduates.

I think when it comes down to it, as was said earlier, a doctor is a doctor. Does going to a Top 20 offer you better access to research and connections? Certainly, but I'm not trying to be the Department Head of Neurological Surgery at Johns Hopkins or anything. This doesn't mean I wouldn't like to find myself at a competitive academic residency, but that can be done from any US MD whether it's more uphill or not. While Match Lists are definitely region and student specific, and not necessarily a sole determinant of the school's quality, the one at this school shows enough students matching into competitive academic residencies to make it worth it. If I don't make it then that's all on me and not my medical school.

Last edited: