WWYD? Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bruhwhat

Reaction score
Hello all!

A bit of a backstory first. So, I was basically accepted into a program as a scrub tech. I started clinicals this semester. I'm doing well in the classes so that's not the issue. My problem is that after going to clinicals, I actually hate it. I hate standing for 4+ hours (the first surgery I got to see was a breast reduction and then lift, took a while) and while the people at the hospital are nice to me, I really cannot think about doing this even for a month or two on my own. I hate going to clinicals. I am not interested in what the preceptor is doing, standing there doing nothing makes me want to cry, literally. The only bright side are the doctors - I was lucky enough to see a specialty surgery and the doctor even backed away from the patient, took the time to show me and to explain why he was doing what he was doing. That stuff is invaluable and the only reason I wanted to start clinicals. Anyway, the only reason I applied initially was to boost my clinical hours, but I work part time as a MA and I (by far) prefer that job. My question is as follows: I'm taking 3 classes for the scrub tech program currently. Should I thug it out until June-ish and secure the A's or just W all 3 of them? Will it look terrible? I will say, I'm also finishing up my bachelors right now so I am taking 3 more classes at my other school. The scrub tech program is separate. If I dropped it, I'd be able to dedicate much more time to MCAT studying as well. I just don't want to burn any bridges because the directors of the program really want me to see it through (funding, stats, etc). Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
From what I can gather, I feel that being forthcoming would be useful if you feel the administration are the type you can talk to. If you need to ride it out until the end of the semester, I think that makes sense, especially if you think politically it will do you well. I would advise that after you get a critical number of hours (everyone is different), it matters way less and I could care less if you were a scrub tech versus MA. Just try to diversify your other activities to make you a well-rounded individual.

Good thing is that medical school isn't all about OR time.

Reactions: 1 users
I would withdraw from the scrub tech program now. It’s not worth being miserable! You need to focus on getting A’s in your college courses, not these classes. (And don’t take the MCAT until you are sure you will do well, even if it means taking extra gap time).

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
From what I can gather, I feel that being forthcoming would be useful if you feel the administration are the type you can talk to. If you need to ride it out until the end of the semester, I think that makes sense, especially if you think politically it will do you well. I would advise that after you get a critical number of hours (everyone is different), it matters way less and I could care less if you were a scrub tech versus MA. Just try to diversify your other activities to make you a well-rounded individual.

Good thing is that medical school isn't all about OR time.
Thank you so much for your reply! I actually ended up withdrawing from the program. I hope that the schools I'll be applying to in a few weeks do see that I'm a well-rounded individual!

I would withdraw from the scrub tech program now. It’s not worth being miserable! You need to focus on getting A’s in your college courses, not these classes. (And don’t take the MCAT until you are sure you will do well, even if it means taking extra gap time).
Hi Luna, I appreciate your response. I did end up withdrawing, it feels like a breath of fresh air! I am taking the MCAT in June and if I continue to score as I am on my practice tests, fingers crossed I do just as well!

Reactions: 1 user