Writing Sample--Importance??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllDayIStudy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My MCAT is in a couple weeks and I was wondering how important is the writing sample score when applying to podiatry schools? I'm not sure if I should focus on practicing some prompts right now or focusing on the other sections. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody really looks at it unless A) you are ESL B) you do terrible on it (ie J-L)

My writing score was a Q (i think?) and I didn't practice. I'm not bad at writing but not any good at it either. I would be practicing everything but the writing passages...my 2 cents

Well, writing is important if you want to eventually do research... or just be an effective written communicator in general (charting, op reports, general communication with patients + other medical staff, etc). I would agree that it's far and away the least important of the MCAT sections, though. MCAT is pretty far in my rear view mirror now, but I'd say that it's bio>phys>verb>>>writing at most MD/DO/DPM etc schools.

We all know the way to be a better writer is just to read books, have paid attention in writing grammar classes, and lifelong building of your vocab (read, play scrabble, etc etc). Like most stuff in life, it's not just something you can learn overnight. Some people write at a high level, and some are so bad that they routinely misuse homonyms which were taught in 3rd grade. I'd put at least a bit of effort into writing, and the reason for that is that poor grammar does make you look very unintelligent in letters to other docs, hospital admins, etc. You can only use the "typo" excuse so many times... if you know what I mean. ;)

I scored pretty well on MCAT writing (R aka 90-somethin percentile... not even sure if it's still scored that way... thinkin it was K-T when I took it?). The key to the MCAT writing test is to know the format they're looking for, and any Kaplan book will tell you that. If my memory serves me, it's something like rephrase the question, give example where it's true, give counterpoint, then give a compromise between the two sides? GL :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
okay great thank you! i guess i'll just continue to do the practice prompts in my CBT. 2 more cbt's to go...

do not waste 1 second prepping for that part of the test. Even with a L, you will get into school as long as you score around the average (19-22). If you are hitting solid 8-9 on BS,PS,V,then go ahead and take a practice essay or two. Otherwise, ignore that section completely.

I drank a red bull during the break, and the writing is right after the break. I was so wired, I couldn't focus on my topic and started typing up everything that came into my brain. I scored among the lowest 8 percentile in the writing portion, but did okay enough on the test in general to get in. I'm sure you'll be fine

I glanced at the exam krackers book for like 15 minutes and I did just fine on the writing section. You just have to set up your argument correctly and it all works out.

With that being said when I was writing my essays I remember thinking to myself that what I was writing was complete crap. With 15 minutes left I debated starting over, but knew there would not be enough time to finish... I thought I bombed that section for sure. I ended up with a Q.

i received a Q as well and did not prep for the writing section at all. i am not a naturally gifted writer either (received a B in both of my undergrad required writing courses). as long as you present your argument in a reasonable manner and have good examples you'll be fine.

I got a 22P and got into every school i applied to.

I studied probably a total of 4 hours for the writing sample.