Should I ask this person to write me a LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amar314

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying this cycle and have all the required letters, namely: 2 sci prof and a DPM. I've volunteered at a homeless clinic for almost 3 years and the executive director has told me he'd love to write me a letter and that it'd be the best letter he's ever written for a student. Not sure if I should take him up on that offer since the letter isn't required and I don't want to be giving him extra work if the letter really won't do much for me.

So do you guys see any advantage to me getting that letter? Could it help with scholarships or something?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying this cycle and have all the required letters, namely: 2 sci prof and a DPM. I've volunteered at a homeless clinic for almost 3 years and the executive director has told me he'd love to write me a letter and that it'd be the best letter he's ever written for a student. Not sure if I should take him up on that offer since the letter isn't required and I don't want to be giving him extra work if the letter really won't do much for me.

So do you guys see any advantage to me getting that letter? Could it help with scholarships or something?
Probably won't make a difference but it won't harm you in anyway. Don't think it will substitute anything but it won't hurt you. They will either read it or just throw it away.

Definitely have him write the letter! It can only help you and you don't need to be nervous about asking him about it, because he already offered.

Reactions: 1 user