writing a "studying for Step 1" primer, please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rbrav

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our medical school doesn't give us much practical information on the USMLE and how to study for it, so I wrote this guide for the current second years. I was hoping some of the wise SDN folks could take a look and offer their thoughts. I just want to make sure I'm not leaving out an important point or getting some facts mixed up. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• USMLE talk - SDN copy.doc
    70 KB · Views: 259
i would love 2 read it
actually i need such guide but i couldnt open yours:(
could u send it 2 me by PM please
thanx in advance

Rbrav said:
Our medical school doesn't give us much practical information on the USMLE and how to study for it, so I wrote this guide for the current second years. I was hoping some of the wise SDN folks could take a look and offer their thoughts. I just want to make sure I'm not leaving out an important point or getting some facts mixed up. Thanks in advance!

I would definitely replace the statistics you put in there on avg step scores for specialties etc, with the official stats in the NBME/NRMP study someone posted in the USMLE Results thread.

(nicedream) said:
I would definitely replace the statistics you put in there on avg step scores for specialties etc, with the official stats in the NBME/NRMP study someone posted in the USMLE Results thread.
Thanks for helping me out. I mention that study in the primer, and I'll include it when I e-mail the primer out to our second-year class. It's a lot of info, though, so I included those other statistics for a quick overview (since that school is a state school in the same geographic region as ours).

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that it's a great guide. Perhaps adding a page of comments from a few 3rd years about what was most useful or what they wish they would have known or done, would give it a more "student to student" look. Overall, great. :)

I think your guide is a really great idea, and I wish that someone had given us a guide when I was a second year. We never were given any nice hard and fast stats like you are presenting them with. Even if the stats aren't all 100% accurate, at least they will give them ballpark ideas.

Give them a link to that document just released that gives those step1 numbers and other things about each residency such as research experience and AoA membership, they would probably like to see it.

It is really thoughtful of you to put together this guide for your underclassmen, would be nice if it was done at all schools