Wright State c/o 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thanks for the feedback pospho and nontrad.

i was accepted at another school but picked WSU because the tuition was a far better deal at the time. in retrospect, the tuition issue made no difference because WSU increases their tuition by 10% or so every year while the private institution locked you in at your MS1 year tuition throughout your training. i was waitlisted at my top choice and could have gone there if i reapplied but i decided against it- i probably would have done that in retrospect.

WSU is a decent place to train but a lot of their selling points are kind of bogus in my opinion. The Introduction to Clinical Medicine course can be more of a hinderence than a help. Volunteer faculty are not on top of medicine in the way that paid faculty need to be to keep their jobs. Global Health Initiative is not really unique and you can do international electives at all medical schools in the country. A newly renovated building with a snazzy anatomy lab doesn't help you in third and fourth year when you live downtown. etc.

I guess all schools do a little false advertising to get people jazzed up about their training experience. But at the institution I am at now, they don't market themselves all too much but their training is incredibly solid and well integrated.

One of my main problems with WSU is that the school is run in a way that they want everyone to follow the same formula. they don't seem to play to people's individual strengths and primarily focus on making sure everyone is minimally qualified.*** it's hard for me to describe and it could just be that it wasn't the right environment for me. but it was an uninspiring four years. **

many of my classmates have similar complaints. many of the kids in the class above and class below share these feelings. of course, there are plenty of students who have intense school spirit and volunteer to speak very kindly for the school. in my class, the students who were highly visible were able to do more away electives and enjoy more comforts than the average student. it was a little irritating at the time.

i went in to medical school thinking that i was just committing four years of my life to getting a medical degree. but four years is a long freaking time in an environment that you don't feel comfortable. life in dayton is a little rough if you are not from the area. many young people leave dayton if they have the opportunity so it somewhat devoid of life- which can be depressing at times, especially if you're single. it seems like students have so much more fun at schools with more cohesion and opportunities to express yourself personally and professionally.

i don't hate WSU- i got trained fairly well and moved along to the next step. i just realize now that i could have had a much better experience training at a program that matched my needs a little better and cared about my professional development in addition to meeting minimal requirements.

retrospect gives you 20/20 vision but everything seems to tend toward working out real well while you're in the process.
good luck!

*** a good example of this: you really have no time to do clerkships in any specialty during MS3. the school has so many requirements that you are applying in to residency with very little idea of what your options are. MANY people complain about this. in a similar vein, second year ends later than many other schools so there is far less time to study for step 1 compared to other schools- a serious competitive disadvantage. if you know that you want to go in to family or you're 100% set on radiology- it's all good. if you're trying to keep you options open (or would appreciate the opportunity to change your mind)- WSU can be quite limiting.

** uninspiring in the sense that there is no good exposure to what your options are. you have to be extremely proactive to make things happen for yourself. fortunately, i am a proactive person and things worked out well for me. but most students think that meeting the WSU requirements will somehow endow them with some great wisdom as to which path they should take. this could not be further from the truth. the institution i train at now helps students understand their options better, allows for early electives in specialties during third year to help clarify your career path before having to apply for residency and allows student to do as many away electives as they desire (which can greatly increase your chances at matching in to competitive residencies).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Silver, its nice of you to respond with some of the weak points of the school and I am certainly not saying that the school has no faults (many of the points you have brought up are the same that I hear from 4th and 3rd years). But, as a present student and someone who is proud of the choice that I made, I would greatly appreciate it if you include some of the pertinent positives of the school as well. Otherwise, in my opinion you appear to just have an ax to grind. You did not have the greatest experience, but what about your experience will seal the fate of those in the incoming class?

Sidenote: When did you graduate? Much of the curriculum issues that you bring up have been discussed and progress has been made.

Lastly, I did see that you said that if you did like the school then you shouldn't read your post. But come on, seriously, a very personalized negative review of a school that these people seem excited about, did you honestly expect some people to not be the least bit offended.

So I got the packet last week with my email address, etc. There's this 2013 welcome website they tell us to checkout, but when I try to input the provided login and password, it won't let me access it. Anyone else having problems?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I got the packet last week with my email address, etc. There's this 2013 welcome website they tell us to checkout, but when I try to input the provided login and password, it won't let me access it. Anyone else having problems?

yep, i tried it the other day, the day after that, and this morning...i think they still haven't put it up yet... i'm glad i'm not the only one having this issue...

yep, i tried it the other day, the day after that, and this morning...i think they still haven't put it up yet... i'm glad i'm not the only one having this issue...

i think they just haven't updated it yet. I tried out 2012 for the password to see if what would happen, and last year's page came up...

But, as a present student and someone who is proud of the choice that I made, I would greatly appreciate it if you include some of the pertinent positives of the school as well. Otherwise, in my opinion you appear to just have an ax to grind.

Lastly, I did see that you said that if you did like the school then you shouldn't read your post. But come on, seriously, a very personalized negative review of a school that these people seem excited about, did you honestly expect some people to not be the least bit offended.

i apologize if i am come off as being offensive. that is not my intention.

WSU has MANY positive attributes. Primarily, the people are very real who go to the school. From my (limited) experience as a resident, you learn 'bedside manner' far better at WSU than most schools. I think the last point may have to do with the fact that WSU does an excellent job of accepting applicants who are genuinely good people, truly interested in caring for patients.

the negatives stem from the fact that i felt like my options were limited. this isn't all too personal of an experience. MANY of my classmates felt similarly. let's just focus on one example that applies to every student (to highlight how this is not a personal issue). You cannot take electives during third year. Third year ends in July and ERAS opens up for residency applications Sept 1st. If you are interested in a specialty and you're not 100% sure, this is simply not a good setup. *

the school is very well suited for the student that 100% knows what they want to do (and do not fall in to the 80% who end up changing their minds) or the student that wants to go in to primary care. if your interests deviate from the curriculum, you're screwed. this is not true at other schools which allow for a lot more flexibility in the curriculum.

WSU is a great place to train. I just wish I weighed the drawbacks of the clinical years more heavily when I was making my decisions. I am just putting out the information that I wish I had been told when I had a choice. Because ultimately, it's the clinical years (and the decisions that you make in that time) that determine your professional future.

All the positive information about the school is not only available but over-emphasized. Once school actually starts, a lot of the selling points don't effect you day-to-day.

I can see how it may seem as though I am being negative when I am presenting the other side of the coin. Again, this is not my intention and I apologize for any hurt feelings.

* during the first possible month when we could do an away elective (august), i was rotating with students who had done 4 months of electives in their desired specialty! four months!! that is a serious advantage for that student to clarify their career goals, get strong Letters of Recommendation, etc. (this has not changed and is not scheduled to change because WSU doesn't think this is a problem - hopefully, if enough of you make a big deal about it they will reconsider).

Last edited:
Interviewd 1/7/09 heard back today via phone...
by the way, the online status thing does update pretty quickly, last week it informed me that a decision has been made.

Has anyone started looking for housing yet?

nope, i haven't started looking for housing, but I am wondering when the timeframe for that is, especially if i want a roommate. the highlight of my wright state-related fun has been filling out fafsa, which really wasn't that fun, come to think of it. i'm also wondering if the powers that be will ever change the welcome website for 2013.

Hey everyone....I have been accepted into WSUBSOM!!!!! I really loved the school up until I started reading these negative comments! Is the school really that bad..b/c I am trying to decide btw there and my state school and I really did not get the impression that the students hated it that bad. I would really appreciate it if someone posted up more info about the school, example early clinical experience opportunities, and about Biennium I electives...Congrats to all who have been accepted:love::D

P.S. why is this not in the Allopathic class threads?

Hey everyone....I have been accepted into WSUBSOM!!!!! I really loved the school up until I started reading these negative comments! Is the school really that bad..b/c I am trying to decide btw there and my state school and I really did not get the impression that the students hated it that bad. I would really appreciate it if someone posted up more info about the school, example early clinical experience opportunities, and about Biennium I electives...Congrats to all who have been accepted:love::D

P.S. why is this not in the Allopathic class threads?

dude, did you even bother to read the threads (or even this thread) about WSU?

The poster who posted the negative comments is one of the very rare posters who have posted anything negative about the school on SDN.

99.999% of everything on SDN about WSU is positive... You loved the school until you read what that person said? How could someone change their mind about a school after reading something written by ONE person?:eek:

I spent the whole day yesterday in class with a few 2nd year friends... it was an absolute blast...

I just had my interview at WSU last Wednesday and I was surprised how much I liked the school! During the interview day, I sat in on an M1 lecture and ran into several friends from undergrad. They all really enjoy being there, one of them is in the MD/MPH program too. Of course, they are only M1s, so they haven't had to deal with clerkships or anything yet, but they were all so enthusiastic about being there, it definitely gave me a much higher opinion of Wright State than I had going into the interview. Also, the building is brand new, so the previous negative poster didn't have that.

Go by what you felt at each school you visited and where you can see yourself fitting in. The thing the students at WSU emphasized to me was how cooperative and helpful everyone is. It sounds like a tight class, since it is smaller, and not cut-throat at all. Good luck in your decision!

Maybe I should have said it differently...I don't hate the school I am just alarmed at the really strongly worded negative comments... I still love the school. The atmosphere is great..everyone is friendly and I definitely see myself there for the next four years....but the negative post raise my suspicions that maybe it is not all it is cracked up to be.....Anyway....enough of the negativity on this school's thread it should remain positive, because I do believe it is a hidden gem. I cannot wait to start medical school and meet my new classmates!!!!!!!!!! I really wish we could keep this thread alive!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't hate the school I am just alarmed at the really strongly worded negative comments...

I'm sorry, but i'm having trouble understanding you... what do you mean by negative commentS? if you mean ONE person writing about their experience, then I see what you're saying.

There was nothing alarming about silverstar's opinion. In fact, to me, it was reassuring to know that the school was NORMAL, i.e. there are negative and positive things about it.

Anyway....enough of the negativity on this school's thread it should remain positive

Again, 99.999999 percent of this thread and other threads about WSU are very positive, what negativity are you talking about other than silverstar's opinion and you "being alarmed"? silverstar had an opinion - and he gave it... did you expect the school to be all positive and perfect? do you think that's a realistic expectation of ANY medical school?

good luck with your decision!:luck:

Why are you getting so heated? And if I remember correctly there was more than one negative comment which would make it comments and if you go into the archives you will see that there are negative comments about the school. Note the plural comments. And I am as real as it gets I am a very mature person who has led a very REAL life so no I did not expect a perfect school I was alarmed yes alarmed by the passion in the student's voice I mean a school gave you a chance to attend med school and u say in retrospect you wouldn't have chosen it...wow there's some encouraging words to people about to invest so much in education there. I did not like my undergrad but I never would say such bad things about it w/o balancing it out with good. Why are you jumping down my throat. Why isn't any of the positive comment people defending against these negative yes negative statements? I was just trying to revive a thread which was too quiet like I said I love the school but if my fellow classmates are so aggresive then I guess it was a mistake to consider. Good luck to you too. Here dies my interest.

Why are you getting so heated? And if I remember correctly there was more than one negative comment which would make it comments and if you go into the archives you will see that there are negative comments about the school. Note the plural comments. And I am as real as it gets I am a very mature person who has led a very REAL life so no I did not expect a perfect school I was alarmed yes alarmed by the passion in the student's voice I mean a school gave you a chance to attend med school and u say in retrospect you wouldn't have chosen it...wow there's some encouraging words to people about to invest so much in education there. I did not like my undergrad but I never would say such bad things about it w/o balancing it out with good. Why are you jumping down my throat. Why isn't any of the positive comment people defending against these negative yes negative statements? I was just trying to revive a thread which was too quiet like I said I love the school but if my fellow classmates are so aggresive then I guess it was a mistake to consider. Good luck to you too. Here dies my interest.

I'm sorry if it seemed like I was jumping down your throat. I wasn't trying to. I am trying to avoid discouraging people from posting negative things about the school. I don't want silverstar to think s/he discouraged someone from attending because of the comment they made. I want people to post their real impressions. When someone comes out and says they're alarmed and not sure they want to attend anymore because of someone's comments, they make everyone who has a negative opinion of the school to avoid posting that info for us in the hopes that they don't give the school "a bad rep". We need the good and bad about the school to make an informed decision.

It seemed from your post that you were ignoring the numerous posts of medical students who adore the school and have nothing but positive things to say about it. You were just focusing on that one poster, silverstar.

Also, I am very curious about the negative comments you keep talking about. Please give me links, I'm really interested in reading them. I've searched all over SDN, and I can't find anything like what you are saying, other than silverstar's comments.

Again, sorry for making it seem like i was attacking you - i really wasn't...:)

sunshine and bunny rabbits and cupcakes!

my attempt at mediating there...

i'm seconding the question of "why are we not in allopathic class threads with everyone else?"

I'm an MS1 at WSUBSOM.

If anyone wants to ask questions about housing, the first year classes, the overall experience of BSOM, please don't hesitate to send me a PM.

For what its worth, I love it here and think it's a great school. The class is very close, which just makes all the hard work a little easier.

Congratulations to everyone coming next year!

I thought I would post my two cents for anyone that would like some other perspectives to weigh in on WSUBSOM. I am a 4th yr at WSUBSOM and I have to say that I have been very happy with my experience there. I think one of the best things about the school is the camaraderie and lack of cut-throat atmosphere. I have heard tales from other med schools of backstabbing and the school having to institute policies where students are not allowed to discuss grades due to excessive student competition. This was not the type of environment I wanted to be in for 4 yrs. I figured med school is hard enough without having to worry about your classmates.

Other big positive is the faculty is excellent, their priority is teaching you, not their own research. They really want everyone to do well.

I agree that one of the biggest drawbacks is the lack of electives in the 3rd year. I was a student that did not know what they wanted to do so this was a bit annoying. Even worse, I was interested in a specialty that wasn't one of the core 3rd year clerkships so I couldn't try it out until August of 4th year. However, it all ended up working out just fine. I am not an overly proactive student but I did have to do some research and shadowing on my own. It really wasn't that hard though, I did figure out it was what I wanted to do, I got good letters of rec and did some good networking in the process. I think you have to be somewhat proactive no matter how much the school helps you out if you want to go into a competitive residency. It wouldn't change my mind about going to WSU.

Overall, I think I received a great education. I did very well on my step 1 & 2. I feel confident I will be matching well next month based on number of interviews I received and caliber of schools that interviewed me. I feel as prepared as I can be to start residency. I have no regrets about my medical school experience and would choose WSUBSOM again.

I thought I would post my two cents for anyone that would like some other perspectives to weigh in on WSUBSOM. I am a 4th yr at WSUBSOM and I have to say that I have been very happy with my experience there. I think one of the best things about the school is the camaraderie and lack of cut-throat atmosphere. I have heard tales from other med schools of backstabbing and the school having to institute policies where students are not allowed to discuss grades due to excessive student competition. This was not the type of environment I wanted to be in for 4 yrs. I figured med school is hard enough without having to worry about your classmates.

Other big positive is the faculty is excellent, their priority is teaching you, not their own research. They really want everyone to do well.

I agree that one of the biggest drawbacks is the lack of electives in the 3rd year. I was a student that did not know what they wanted to do so this was a bit annoying. Even worse, I was interested in a specialty that wasn't one of the core 3rd year clerkships so I couldn't try it out until August of 4th year. However, it all ended up working out just fine. I am not an overly proactive student but I did have to do some research and shadowing on my own. It really wasn't that hard though, I did figure out it was what I wanted to do, I got good letters of rec and did some good networking in the process. I think you have to be somewhat proactive no matter how much the school helps you out if you want to go into a competitive residency. It wouldn't change my mind about going to WSU.

Overall, I think I received a great education. I did very well on my step 1 & 2. I feel confident I will be matching well next month based on number of interviews I received and caliber of schools that interviewed me. I feel as prepared as I can be to start residency. I have no regrets about my medical school experience and would choose WSUBSOM again.

dude, that was a very awesome post... thank you very much...

What I always found interesting about silverstar's post was that according to studentdoctor he/she joined the same day the first comment was made, made 3 comments about the school and faded into the background. Base your opinions on what your own interview experiences showed you about the school. Medical school is what you make of it, put in the time and effort and you will be rewarded; some try and blame the school, this is rarely, if ever, true. Dream2B, I understand your concern when there is a negative post. Go where you feel comfotable and where you feel you can succeed, I wouldn't suggest giving much creedence to those with an axe to grind, it would be like getting all your news from the same source. A dramatization build on a framework that may have some truth. We would love to have you here, but if you decide on somewhere else then I wish you the best of luck.

I personally didn't feel like silverstar had an axe to grind, but was giving an honest assessment based on his experiences. This doesn't mean Wright State isn't a great school or that others' experiences aren't the exact opposite. But let's not impugn the guy for throwing in his two cents.

Hey, I'm also a member of your class, although I'm a MD/MPH student, so technically I'll graduate 2014. I loved the school when I visited, and I've read the negative comments, and to be honest, I think different schools have different strengths. I assumed WSU, being a smaller school, would be one where I would need to be proactive and perhaps a better scheduler, but one where it would be easier to make things happen since the faculty is more focused on the students rather than their research or practice. My boyfriend is currently attending med school at a prestigious NY school (where I went to undergrad) and he is having a huge problem finding shadowing and research opportunities simply because he isn't super proactive like me, and obviously many faculty members there have better things to worry about than their med students. So it all depends on how hard you're willing to work I think.

I took a year off because I'm really interested in future NGO/doctor's without borders kind of work, and am traveling a lot right now, volunteering, and thus why I'm so interested in an MPH degree. One of the reasons I chose WSU is because their MPH/MD program is VASTLY superior to many other year opt-out programs.

Either way I'm super excited!! Also, I'll have a house there in the summer (inheritance money) so if anyone needs a place to crash while looking for an apartment and doesn't mind dogs, feel free to pm me, I'm happy to host! Congrats all!

Hey waitlistees, does anyone remember when the list starts to move, or at least when they prioritize? Do we get to find out our placement on the list?

Have you guys heard anything from the school at all? I was accepted on October 15, signed the forms and returned them. I got a letter around December 15 with a WSUBSOM car decal and inviting me to check out that welcome page, but it doesn't work and I have yet to receive any emails from the school. How about you guys?

Have you guys heard anything from the school at all? I was accepted on October 15, signed the forms and returned them. I got a letter around December 15 with a WSUBSOM car decal and inviting me to check out that welcome page, but it doesn't work and I have yet to receive any emails from the school. How about you guys?

nada here as well.

looking at old class threads (e.g. class of 2012), it looks like they were also sort of surprised that they didn't hear anything from the school for so long... I don't think we'll be hearing anything from them anytime soon...

JR, it looks like they haven't made the class of 2013 website... that's why the password doesn't work...if you're really curious, just put 2012 instead of 2013 to look at last year's website.

Yeah they waited a really, really long time before they started to acknowledge us. This generally coincides with the fact that many people will not make finalized decisions until May.

My message to a 4th year student at wright state who's currently applying for residency:

Thank you so much for getting back to me. I have been reading a few things a user called "silverstar" posted on SDN (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=566404), and I was hoping that you could comment on them.

Here are some things he said:

"you really have no time to do clerkships in any specialty during MS3. the school has so many requirements that you are applying in to residency with very little idea of what your options are. MANY people complain about this. in a similar vein, second year ends later than many other schools so there is far less time to study for step 1 compared to other schools- a serious competitive disadvantage. if you know that you want to go in to family or you're 100% set on radiology- it's all good. if you're trying to keep you options open (or would appreciate the opportunity to change your mind)- WSU can be quite limiting."

"3rd and 4th year is really when things get disorganized. having to drive to any of 5 or more sites in the greater dayton area gets old very quickly (sometimes you'd have to drive 20 minutes to take a quiz close to where you live, drive back to the hospital, then go back home!). "

Honestly, it's the first negative thing I've heard about WSU. It hasn't changed my mind at all about the school, but I guess I was just curious about what you - as a fourth year - thought about these comments. Have you heard anyone else complain about this? Did you feel you got less of an education in your third year compared to the students who went to other schools like OSU or Cincinnati?

This was the 4th year's reply:

I will address what sounds like 3 issues which are all good questions.

1 - Time for Step 1 - Nobody needs >5 weeks for Step 1 to study. The people on this board who study for longer than that are just nuts, or have some serious deficiencies to make up for (i.e. did not learn first and second year material well). You will get out of school here in mid-May. The school tells you that you must take step 1 by a certain date, which for my class was June 16th which was about 4 weeks or 4 1/2 weeks after school got out. However, in actuality many students take the test later than the school's recommendation, just so long as you get your scores back by the date the school mandates which is mid July. I took my test June 23rd, having a whole 5 1/2 weeks or so to study. It was WAY too much! The whole last week I did nothing because I just couldn't study anymore...and I can usually study for EVER! . Not sure if you know how scoring works, but with that time, I got a 246/99 exceeding my wildest expectations. Two of my good friends studied 3 weeks ONLY and got 251 and 256s respectively - these were not top 10 students in our class either. I used to think you needed some crazy amount of time to study for the step but 1 month is the magic number and you will have that easily. Dr. Koles is in charge of alot second year and prepares you SO well for the boards, it makes it easier. So that said, I did think it was a little short going into it but realized like we all did that it was just right - - and we all got a month vacation after it.

2 - No electives third year - I think this is probably the most legit complaint that poster had. I know at least of some schools that do offer elective time in the third year, whereas our year includes only the core rotations (psych, family med, internal med, peds, OBGYN, surgery) and the year closes the first of August, which starts 4th year. Residency applications go out in September. So it is true thats not much time. However, the summer between MS1 and MS2 you are REQUIRED to do 4 weeks of electives - some people travel, some do research; I did a combo of research and a 2-wk elective in heme-onc which I kind of thought I would like, did like and am planning to do after my medicine residency. So there are ways to deal with it. And the school is small, so if you are interested in something other than those 6 fields, you can easily find someone to speak with at some point the first three years, hang out with them a few days on a break or something and figure things out. Some people say that if someone really knows what they want to do, they won't need a 2-wk third year elective to figure that out and if someone really has no clue what they want to do, one 2-week elective will not make them any more sure. Many students take their first month in August as an elective to figure out what they want before application - - but the vast majority of students DO know what they want to do - maybe they did an anesthesia or radiology elective between first and second year like I said, or they headed up the dermatology interest group the first 2 years and got to know and hang out with faculty that way. It may change in the future, but it really is not a big deal - that said, I was someone who DID always kind of have a pretty good idea what I wanted to do. Pretty much everyone though that I know in my class has a pretty good idea by this point (about 1/2 way thru third year) what they want to do, so I don't think the electives issue is that big of a deal. Most really figure it out early in the third year. And having all the time in the core rotations does help make for a higher step 2 score, since those are the only topics tested and you have learned them better as your whole year is devoted to them.

3 - The multiple hospital system/disorganization of third year. There are multiple hospitals you can rotate at as a third year (Kettering, Miami Valley, Good Samaritan, the VA, the WP Air Force Base) but it is really a great thing to see different places, different patient populations and learn how to handle being in different settings with different computer systems, etc as it will make you so much better prepared to leave med school and adapt to a residency with undoubtedly a different PC system, layout, etc. The driving thing is really not an issue - all the hospitals except the air force base and kettering are in the same downtown general area alot of third years move to, and the other 2 are 10-15 minutes away from that hub. Sometimes you have to leave your site to go to a different site for an afternoon class or something, and it MAY be 20 minutes away max, but you would leave your hospital with ample time to get there and park. That has never been a big deal to me. It happens maybe once a week on average and the distance just depends what hospital you are at versus where the class is at; often times they are at the same place. But has never been an issue. People really like getting to leave the grind of hospital duties, come and see their friends on the clerkship for an afternoon. And the year has been EXTREMELY organized, to the tee, there is absolutely no disorganization at all, you find out in advance where you will be doing your rotation, often get to rank site preference, etc and there are so many people to handle the logistics of it - and I venture our internal medicine clerkship is one of the best in the country - 5 out of the 21 students I just finished the rotation with scored in the 98th percentile+ on the shelf exam which says alot I think; the average last year was 77th percentile and will be higher this year. I only say this as medicine is reputed to be the hardest clerkship of the third year and most directly correlates with step 2 performance.

That was long but I wanted to clear that up as none of those things were really an issue to me at all. The study time for the boards is ample, although when I was a 1st/2nd year and thought you needed 10 weeks to do well I was kinda freaking out! A good solid month is what you need - you get it. If you are really desparate you can skip a 6 wk rotation third year and make it up fourth year during vacation time but very few to no people do that. The multiple hospital system is a blessing - some people have only been at one the whole year (mostly thru their choice) others have been at many - driving to didactics is FINE and a nice break in the middle of the day to get to leave the hospital, unless a person really hates driving or something.

Any other ?s let me know.

The student would like to stay anonymous. I Hope you find this as informative as I did.

:luck:

I came across this website which seems to be devoted to the Class of 2013: http://www.med.wright.edu/focus/resources/index.html
(The housing and financial aid info are especially useful)

For accepted students, you'll need your username and password to access some of the links. :)

Yeah, I got an email from them on 2/27 with that link.

Hey Everyone,
I have been following this thread recently, and I want to give a huge CONGRATS to all those accepted for this upcoming year. I was waitlisted in November, and I thought I would ask my questions here. In your opinion, what should I do in terms of expressing my interest? Does anyone know how many people they take off their waitlist? Thanks so much for any replies ahead of time, and to all of you, best of luck!:)

Hey All,

I went to WSU for college. Its a great place. Although I'm about to finish med school somewhere else, if anybody wants another voice about WSU/Dayton/etc., feel free to ask away or PM me or whatever.

Cheers,
sd

(PS: Phopho--I PM'ed you.)

Looking at old class threads, it seems WSU doesn't give us our financial aid packets until JUNE!!! that's ridiculous, not only because other schools are already sending us everything from now, but also because that would be way past our deadline of May 15th for those of us who have multiple acceptances to choose from. How do they expect us to choose before the deadline?

Could they have changed that policy this year? Also, most of the posters on the previous class threads got all loans. So should we expect that everything will be loans? So since someone like me who's trying to follow the money, do I just withdraw from WSU, since other schools started offering me money?

I'm so confused about why they would do that to us. They know about our 5/15 deadline. I just hope I'm wrong.

Looking at old class threads, it seems WSU doesn't give us our financial aid packets until JUNE!!! that's ridiculous, not only because other schools are already sending us everything from now, but also because that would be way past our deadline of May 15th for those of us who have multiple acceptances to choose from. How do they expect us to choose before the deadline?

Could they have changed that policy this year? Also, most of the posters on the previous class threads got all loans. So should we expect that everything will be loans? So since someone like me who's trying to follow the money, do I just withdraw from WSU, since other schools started offering me money?

I'm so confused about why they would do that to us. They know about our 5/15 deadline. I just hope I'm wrong.

so...does that mean wright state basically does not offer ppl scholarships?

so...does that mean wright state basically does not offer ppl scholarships?

No, but apparently it means that we have to commit to WSU on the May 15th deadline without knowing whether they are going to give us any grants or scholarships.

Also, out of all the WSU medical students I've spoken with (about 15 of them), NONE of them have received anything but loans.

:(

No, but apparently it means that we have to commit to WSU on the May 15th deadline without knowing whether they are going to give us any grants or scholarships.

Also, out of all the WSU medical students I've spoken with (about 15 of them), NONE of them have received anything but loans.

:(

I vaguely remember the talk that the financial aid lady gave on interview day and she said that as you progress through the years, more scholarships are available--in other words, you're more likely to get scholarships after you've put in some time at wright state. So, it sounds like we're stuck with just loans for the first year, but scholarship opportunities will come up for the years beyond that. Regardless, it is a state school so we're doing a lot better than if it were private, so I guess try to see some silver lining there :oops: ...but yes, I agree that it stinks we don't get financial aid packages until way late in the game.

I vaguely remember the talk that the financial aid lady gave on interview day and she said that as you progress through the years, more scholarships are available--in other words, you're more likely to get scholarships after you've put in some time at wright state. So, it sounds like we're stuck with just loans for the first year, but scholarship opportunities will come up for the years beyond that. Regardless, it is a state school so we're doing a lot better than if it were private, so I guess try to see some silver lining there :oops: ...but yes, I agree that it stinks we don't get financial aid packages until way late in the game.

Yup, you're right about the availability of scholarships later on... i remember something about that too... I'm going to OSU's second look, but I'm still leaning towards WSU though. For some weird reason, I'm having trouble seeing myself anywhere else...

Yup, you're right about the availability of scholarships later on... i remember something about that too... I'm going to OSU's second look, but I'm still leaning towards WSU though. For some weird reason, I'm having trouble seeing myself anywhere else...

haha, i know what you mean. good vibes emanating from that building, or something.

To be honest, i think BSOM is really intent on getting people to the school that REALLY want to be there, because their focus is creating an optimal community for their students. This is complete conjecture, but I wonder if they hold out on financial packages hoping to weed out those who only go for the money? Maybe they only want people who are really passionate about their particular school. I have no idea if that's true, but I think that answer fits with the vibe of the school. I do know that two years ago they gave out at least one full scholarship to and incoming student, so it's not that no one gets money, I think it's just very few. I didn't get any money for undergrad either, so I'm just rolling in debt! Good luck to everyone who hasn't heard yet!

emailed financial aid asking them if it was really true that we would have to wait so long for the financial aid awards, this was the response:

Dear Phospho,
Congratulations for your acceptance to the Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine. Our budgets are not determined until the board of trustees has met and made a decision on how much tuition will increase for the academic year. We, normally, do not have those figures before April or May of the calendar year. Financial Aid awards are not offered before that decision is announced.

Take care,

Tussel Conner
Financial Aid Coordinator.

To be honest, i think BSOM is really intent on getting people to the school that REALLY want to be there, because their focus is creating an optimal community for their students. This is complete conjecture, but I wonder if they hold out on financial packages hoping to weed out those who only go for the money? Maybe they only want people who are really passionate about their particular school. I have no idea if that's true, but I think that answer fits with the vibe of the school. I do know that two years ago they gave out at least one full scholarship to and incoming student, so it's not that no one gets money, I think it's just very few. I didn't get any money for undergrad either, so I'm just rolling in debt! Good luck to everyone who hasn't heard yet!

I agree with you. I think the school puts in a lot of effort into accepting people that will fit its vibe. Financial aid could definitely be one of those factors that it uses to eliminate the people who are only out there for the money.

By the way AldousHux, have you been accepted?
:luck:

phospho, did you get accepted at toledo as well as ohio state, and basically choosing between the 3?

i really liked what i saw at wright state, and i can imagine myself being happy there for the next 4 years regardless of the financial package..

i liked toledo, too, but the students were on spring break when i went there for an interview...so i didnt get that much of a feel for the school compared to wright.

phospho, did you get accepted at toledo as well as ohio state, and basically choosing between the 3?

i really liked what i saw at wright state, and i can imagine myself being happy there for the next 4 years regardless of the financial package..

i liked toledo, too, but the students were on spring break when i went there for an interview...so i didnt get that much of a feel for the school compared to wright.

hey there!

yes, I was accepted to toledo, wright state, and Ohio State... I loved OSU as an undergrad, but i'm sick of being another social security number. No one knows anyone, and although the medical students at ohio state are a bit more social then the other undergrads, I still can't see myself there. Too much competition, and it's one of those environments I just can't see myself in.

As for toledo, I loved the faculty and staff. They were very helpful. I met a few students, and they were really nice. Honestly though, their class size is still bigger than WSU, and the school doesn't have the same vibe that WSU gives you.

I can't exaplain it. I love everything about WSU (except our last minute financial awards!!). I'm also registering for the prematriculation program which starts early July.

yanzitommy, where have you been accepted at? (if you don't mind me asking)

good luck with the match, I hope you matched today!!!:luck::luck::luck:

hey there!

yes, I was accepted to toledo, wright state, and Ohio State... I loved OSU as an undergrad, but i'm sick of being another social security number. No one knows anyone, and although the medical students at ohio state are a bit more social then the other undergrads, I still can't see myself there. Too much competition, and it's one of those environments I just can't see myself in.

Haha! I went to osu undergrad too!
Do we know each other?? :)
However, I had a really really horrible experience when I talked to the admissions dean (or dean assistant, i forget who) @ osu.
She flat out told me that my 3.6 chemical engineering GPA was worthless compared to a 4.0 art major! *i was in shock*
I have Nothing against art majors, but that statement was uncalled for.

Anyways, i loved osu as an undergrad and you are right about the over-competitiveness feeling @ osu med school...

As for toledo, I loved the faculty and staff. They were very helpful. I met a few students, and they were really nice. Honestly though, their class size is still bigger than WSU, and the school doesn't have the same vibe that WSU gives you.

I interviewed at wright state and toledo. Wright state had an unexplainable appeal to me. I think it was the cohesiveness and ppl loving attitude that the students @ wsu shared.
I was impressed when the interviewers were screening my personality to ensure that I was good person and that I would fit well in the small incoming class...

As for toledo, i felt like the interviewers wanted me to go there. I liked the school and all, but the class doesn't seem as tight knit as WSU :)

Finally, to answer ur question, i got accepted to wright state as of now. And if all goes according to what my toledo interviewers say, i should get an acceptance at toledo as well! :D