Would you recommend applying before taking the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SchruteFarms16

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I spoke to two schools recently, and both were relatively vague and said it didn't matter. One school said they would go as far as offering an interview if the application is strong + offer a "semi"-acceptance that would be contingent on taking the MCAT and scoring around the average. I still need to calculate my GPA accurately, but my undergrad cGPA is around 3.0 (I made terrible and delusional decisions) and my post-bacc sGPA is around 3.8~3.85 which might average to around 3.5-3.6 after I include the 2-3 science courses I did in undergrad.

I'm concerned about getting rejected by a school prematurely because of an application they don't see strong enough without an MCAT score. In addition, I'm testing for the first time in January, so not scoring well enough and having to apply even later worries me.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I spoke to two schools recently, and both were relatively vague and said it didn't matter. One school said they would go as far as offering an interview if the application is strong + offer a "semi"-acceptance that would be contingent on taking the MCAT and scoring around the average. I still need to calculate my GPA accurately, but my undergrad cGPA is around 3.0 (I made terrible and delusional decisions) and my post-bacc sGPA is around 3.8~3.85 which might average to around 3.5-3.6 after I include the 2-3 science courses I did in undergrad.

I'm concerned about getting rejected by a school prematurely because of an application they don't see strong enough without an MCAT score. In addition, I'm testing for the first time in January, so not scoring well enough and having to apply even later worries me.

Thank you!

It sounds like your GPAs are fine and within the accepted range (but post the correct one when you recalculate it). I have said this before, but anyone testing for the MCAT for the first time should invest all their time into preparing for the exam. You can add 1 program to your AACPMAS account and finish the app to have everything verified and ready to go once you get the MCAT result early next year. But for now, IMO, you should only focus on the MCAT and not think about programs rejecting you or getting late in the cycle.

FYI the deadline for the cycle is June 30th of each year, so if you have to re-take the MCAT, like in March, you will still be fine. Your chance for an II and an A is higher if your application is complete.

Reactions: 1 user
It sounds like your GPAs are fine and within the accepted range (but post the correct one when you recalculate it). I have said this before, but anyone testing for the MCAT for the first time should invest all their time into preparing for the exam. You can add 1 program to your AACPMAS account and finish the app to have everything verified and ready to go once you get the MCAT result early next year. But for now, IMO, you should only focus on the MCAT and not think about programs rejecting you or getting late in the cycle.

FYI the deadline for the cycle is June 30th of each year, so if you have to re-take the MCAT, like in March, you will still be fine. Your chance for an II and an A is higher if your application is complete.
Thank you. You're right, I'm dialed into my MCAT prep, but determining whether I should start the application process was bugging me.

Hi there!
You can definitely apply before taking the MCAT. But like what has been said before, you should be spending a lot of time preparing for the MCAT. Personally, I believe that it replicates the amount of studying and how hard you should be studying if you get accepted into podiatry school. I have spoken to a number of classmates and those that were exempt from taking the MCAT due to covid have told me they probably would have been more prepared for what's to come in medical school. It'll also be very helpful in your first year when reviewing those topics that were in the MCAT.

Hi there!
You can definitely apply before taking the MCAT. But like what has been said before, you should be spending a lot of time preparing for the MCAT. Personally, I believe that it replicates the amount of studying and how hard you should be studying if you get accepted into podiatry school. I have spoken to a number of classmates and those that were exempt from taking the MCAT due to covid have told me they probably would have been more prepared for what's to come in medical school. It'll also be very helpful in your first year when reviewing those topics that were in the MCAT.
That's interesting. I wonder if that's still the case? I'm taking the MCAT regardless; as a semi nontrad there are topics I haven't touched on in years (like bio).