Working for a year before school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoleScholar

Reaction score
Is it worth it to take a year off to work before going to DPM school? I got a job that I'm really excited about (tissue harvester). It makes 30/hr. Would it be worth it to make money to pay for living expenses and get some experience working and develop good habits?

My parents are vehemently against me working, thinking I would give up on going back to school once I start making money. Or I could just accept the job offer and quit when DPM school starts?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it worth it to take a year off to work before going to DPM school? I got a job that I'm really excited about (tissue harvester). It makes 30/hr. Would it be worth it to make money to pay for living expenses and get some experience working and develop good habits?

My parents are vehemently against me working, thinking I would give up on going back to school once I start making money. Or I could just accept the job offer and quit when DPM school starts?
Depends.

How much are you going to make after taxes?
Are you only working for 1 year?
Are your parents bankrolling any part of your education + room and board?

Do you have any real-life work experience? You sound like you don't. Schools won't care either way.

Financially, if you are making enough to significantly put a dent in school loans, sure go for it.

But this decision will be completely personal. Doesn't matter if you do or don't in the long run.

Depends.

How much are you going to make after taxes?
Are you only working for 1 year?
Are your parents bankrolling any part of your education + room and board?

Do you have any real-life work experience? You sound like you don't. Schools won't care either way.

Financially, if you are making enough to significantly put a dent in school loans, sure go for it.

But this decision will be completely personal. Doesn't matter if you do or don't in the long run.
48k take home.
I would only do it for a year.
My parents paid for all of my undergrad expenses. I currently have 0 debt.
I have some real-life work experience. I've worked in medical offices and I do EMT work.

Members don't see this ad :)

Better yet, don't go to DPM school. But yeah. Work. If you want to spend the rest of your life harvesting tissue (is that what the kids call it these days?) Then have at it.

Reactions: 1 users
Better yet, don't go to DPM school. But yeah. Work. If you want to spend the rest of your life harvesting tissue (is that what the kids call it these days?) Then have at it.
Why don't go to DPM school

I don't get it personally, but podiatry school will always be there for you. If you are sure go now.

Just to save a little money for professional school alone is not the best reason to me, but it is your life.

The are many reasons that make more sense to take a year off and potentially work in my opinion such as: if you were you were unsure about podiatry and wanted to explore and potentially apply to other professions first, improve your MCAT for MD/DO, further consider pros/cons offshore medical school versus podiatry, you have medical issues or personal/family issues that would be less of a distraction by waiting a year. Even just taking a gap year and traveling the world with a backpack makes more sense to me.

Reactions: 1 user
We just had an entire discussion about this question in the last thread you posted.
I know but I'm not convinced. All of the podiatrists I've seen in person are happy and make good money and have a good life. I can't say the same for many of the medical doctors I've shadowed.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
I know but I'm not convinced. All of the podiatrists I've seen in person are happy and make good money and have a good life. I can't say the same for many of the medical doctors I've shadowed.
There are very, very real reasons which have already been discussed why admission to podiatry school is so easy.

If you are done doing your due diligence and have decided on podiatry, I would not work a year just to save money and would enroll now.

Work for a year, improve your MCAT and go for DO or state MD schools. If you have bachelor's. Find accelerated BSN or MSN get that. Then go for NP or CRNA. CRNAs make more than DPMs for the most part working less, less stress, less responsibility. There is huge demand for CRNAs. Any town on a map needs CRNAs. They get paid 250 on average. 6-8 weeks PTO.

Reactions: 2 users