Would this be wise???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Akamu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Opinions or advice....

I am an Osteopathic student who is debating whether or not to take the USMLE step 1, or stick to my original plan of taking USMLE step 2 (not the PE) along with my COMLEX 2 CK/PE. The thing is, I have a 634 on COMLEX step 1, I am ranked in the top 10% of my class, am in the Honor Society, and I have done pretty well on all of my shelf exams and rotations with only one two more to go.
Geography is important to me for residency (primarily west coast & a few east coast programs), and many programs do accept COMLEX, other's do not, some are vague. I am wondering if taking step 1 nine months after the fact is a good idea- if I don't do really well it might be a black mark on an otherwise solid application. On the other hand, I fell well prepared for step 2, and will have both PE/CK done by July and available to programs. I was planning on just taking step 2 USMLE as well, just to give the allo programs something to look at, but it's hard to find a definitive answer as to whether or not this is relevant to my application without step 1. I know for most family med programs it's not a problem, but it is moreso for ER/SURG/ANESTHESIA.... I am applying for a few DO residencies as well, but knowing how random things are, I'm not banking on anything.

When I started medical school I never thought the hardest decision I would ever make was what KIND of physician to be....

Members don't see this ad.

well if your interestd in Surg or Anesthesia..that coupled with location being important to you..take the USMLE step 1 100%. My score on the comlex was similar to yours but I didnt take usmle I. I matched into my #1 in a competitive specialty, but looking back it would have been much smarter for me to take it.

also from what I have heard..a lot of allopathic programs require you also take step 2 usmle..but Step 1 being much more important.

well if your interestd in Surg or Anesthesia..that coupled with location being important to you..take the USMLE step 1 100%. My score on the comlex was similar to yours but I didnt take usmle I. I matched into my #1 in a competitive specialty, but looking back it would have been much smarter for me to take it.

Thanks for the advice... Im just a bit concerned about studying old material this far out while also studying for PE/CK.
I'm curious- when you say 'smarter' what are you referring to? If you matched to your #1 how would it have helped? Did you end up taking Step 2?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice... Im just a bit concerned about studying old material this far out while also studying for PE/CK.
I'm curious- when you say 'smarter' what are you referring to? If you matched to your #1 how would it have helped? Did you end up taking Step 2?

Well it wouldn't have helped me necessarily..but not taking the usmle made me take more audition rotations, apply strictly to DO programs, and I was limited in regions where only DO programs were available.
Now if I would have taken the USMLE I and scored well I would have had much more choices to choose from, including programs closer to home and some University programs.

I would study a little bit and take one of the nbme practice exams and see how you do. If you stick with only the comlex and you want to do Gas or Surgery you will be more limited on choices.

Thank you for the insight. BTW- what is considered a good COMLEX score for competetive programs?

I think you could get away with only taking Step 2. Step I would be a major pain right now and your Level 1 score seems like it would probably do you enough justice at most programs. What specialty were you looking at?

I figure if the program doesnt accept COMLEX scores, your chances of matching or interviewing there are a little diminished anyways.

I say just take Level 2 and Step II.

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure you cannot sit for step 2 before passing step 1

I used to think this too but somebody schooled me on it awhile ago. Apparently it's not uncommon for DOs and FMGs to do them out of order. Learn something new every day.

Opinions or advice....

I am an Osteopathic student who is debating whether or not to take the USMLE step 1, or stick to my original plan of taking USMLE step 2 (not the PE) along with my COMLEX 2 CK/PE. The thing is, I have a 634 on COMLEX step 1, I am ranked in the top 10% of my class, am in the Honor Society, and I have done pretty well on all of my shelf exams and rotations with only one two more to go.
Geography is important to me for residency (primarily west coast & a few east coast programs), and many programs do accept COMLEX, other's do not, some are vague. I am wondering if taking step 1 nine months after the fact is a good idea- if I don't do really well it might be a black mark on an otherwise solid application. On the other hand, I fell well prepared for step 2, and will have both PE/CK done by July and available to programs. I was planning on just taking step 2 USMLE as well, just to give the allo programs something to look at, but it's hard to find a definitive answer as to whether or not this is relevant to my application without step 1. I know for most family med programs it's not a problem, but it is moreso for ER/SURG/ANESTHESIA.... I am applying for a few DO residencies as well, but knowing how random things are, I'm not banking on anything.

When I started medical school I never thought the hardest decision I would ever make was what KIND of physician to be....
If you are thinking about a non primary care specialty you will need to take USMLE 1. It does not matter when you take it, the only thing matters is how you perform on it. It will be challenging to study for this exam, but with the right plan and mind set, you will do well. There was a comment made that if a program does not take COMLEX your chances of interviewing there will be diminished. I do not agree with this. Many programs in competitive fields just want to see a USMLE score because it is a gold standard by which students are being evaluated. If you apply to a competitive field without a USMLE score, you will likely receive 1/2 the number of interviews compared to your friends applying to the same specialty with a USMLE score. You could just take USMLE Step 2, but step 1 is much more important , thus will have the biggest bang for your buck. This has been my experience during this interview season.

I would say above 600 is excellent. But beating the SD is also pretty good (>580),

I used to think this too but somebody schooled me on it awhile ago. Apparently it's not uncommon for DOs and FMGs to do them out of order. Learn something new every day.

Hmmm. Well, I stand corrected, but I think an only step 2 and not a step 1 would raise some red flags for me . . . you'd ask yourself, "Why?" And I think, "Because I didn't want to do badly" might not exactly be the kind of answer I'd want out of someone I was considering for residency.

I appreciate the tactic, but I think the over strategy fails, especially if what we are trying to do here is match as high up the allopathic food chain as a DO as possible.

No guts, no glory. And since DOs seem to have more of an uphill battle in this country, I say take step one and two.

At my DO school plenty of people I know only sit for Step 2s. Utility is questionable but better than nothing.

I agree in that if you are applying for a competitive specialty in the allo world take the Step Is and IIs.

Just sucks to study for at this point.