Would this be a bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTlg2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of the schools that I'm applying to doesn't require a personal statement or resume. I'm thinking about sending them anyway? Is this okay to do or would it look bad?

Members don't see this ad.

I would call the school directly and speak to their admissions coordinator (or someone along those lines). They will be able to tell you if this is a good idea or not. :) Good luck!

Last edited:
One of the schools that I'm applying to doesn't require a personal statement or resume. I'm thinking about sending them anyway? Is this okay to do or would it look bad?

Some apps will have a space where you can write down your extra curricular activities or volunteer work---you can get creative and add in descriptions. The school i applied to had the same thing and I emailed the chair and ask her if I could add a little description underneath (more or less like a resume) and she said go for it. I got in, so I am sure it helped me stand out. Call them and say that you believe your employment/volunteer work has helped your understanding of the profession and you want to show it in your application--I am sure they ll be more than willing to accept a resume.

Does this school require LORs? Talk to all your LOR writers, tell them your circumstances. If you have medical/personal/even psychiatric issues have someone familiar with you who can attest to how awesome you are write an LOR and mention that. Describe everything, or if the school requires LORs, just have an LOR for everything you want on your resume, it's worth a few GPA points to do that. I know some people with much better GPAs who were rejected from one of my programs, where i was alternate listed. Any sane person would wait-list them over me, and outright reject me, but somehow I beat the odds, I still can't believe I wasn't rejected, since the school wants a 3.0 overall and in pre-reqs, but i had a 2.77 in pre-reqs and a 2.908 overall. I also did not do extremely well on the GRE.

Last edited: