Would taking Step2 improve chances of matching?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HPsiEPsi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To the Uber-docs of SDN:

As a DO student who has taken COMLEX, but not USMLE, and is applying to IM programs (both allo and osteopathic) across the country, would I improve my chances of matching if I take USMLE Step2?

Also, since we can take the USMLE Steps independent of each other, which exam holds more weight, in the eyes of program directors?

I am more likely to take Step2, since it will be a continuation of the clinical studying and rotations I have been doing thus far.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

While Step 2 is generally considered to be the more clinically relevant exam, Step 1 is the only one that is required of all applicants. Therefore, screening of applications generally happens based on Step 1 rather than Step 2. No reason you can't take Step 2 but there's also no reason to think that you'll do better on 2 than 1.

I'm not a PD but since you're required to report your COMLEX, regardless of your USMLE scores, it seems to me that reporting only a USMLE Step 2 would be a red flag.

Several of my classmates and I have all decided to take the Step 2 early. Our school historically does much better on Step 2. Several people go up from 10 to even 40 points. That being said, a higher score is not in the cards for everyone. But I think that if you feel reasonably comfortable with your clinical rotations and will actually put forth the effort to study (as you did with Step 1 and others), it really could pay off. At my school, we take the stance that 1. we historically do better and 2. schools see that you are finished with both (so no hesitation on their part). I took the CS and CK in july. It is also very nice to know that nothing is looming over you, and you are totally finished. But that is just comfort type thing for me.

You don't NEED step 2 to apply for medicine residency, but I'd take it unless your Step 1 score is high (like 230 or more). If your Step 1 is high, then no reason to risk anything by taking Step 2 early. If Step 1 not so great or just OK (i.e. low 200's-220's) might consider taking Step 2 early. I took Step 2 early b/c I just got a slightly above average Step 1 and am usually a very good standardized test taker, so thought I would more likely than not do better on Step 2. Also, step 2 IS more clinically oriented, so if you are more of a clinical animal, and/or your medical school is more clinically than basic science oriented, you might just naturally do better.

I am a D.O. at allo anesthesia and took COMLEX I and then Both Step II/COMLEX II. I did well on Step 2 and some interviewers said that it did help my application.

Studying for both step 2/COMLEX II was pretty easy and I think that it is easier to do better on Step 2 than Step 1 because of the lack of gen./biochem/etc. questions.

Thanks for the replies! Although I'd like to take Step1, I don't think I have enough time in between rotations and the whole residency process to review those materials to kill it. Step2 I think I have a better shot at.

Thanks for the replies! Although I'd like to take Step1, I don't think I have enough time in between rotations and the whole residency process to review those materials to kill it. Step2 I think I have a better shot at.

While I'm not really in the loop on this, I think Step 2 is helpful if you have a lackluster Step 1, but not really going to be helpful if you haven't taken Step 1. It will really look like you cherry picked your tests out of fear of dong badly on Step 1 if you skip right to Step 2, which I think would undermine what you are seeking to accomplish.

Oh,
I didn't realize the question was about just taking step 2.
No, I would think taking Step 2 without Step 1 just makes it look like you are avoiding Step 1. Residencies generally want either just Step 1, or Step 1 plus Step 2. I've never seen anyone take just Step 2.