Would it be worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TXsweethrt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be a freshmen next fall at Texas A&M (studying Allied Health and then transfering to their Nursing school after two years). But I am set on pursuing a doctorate in Physical Therapy and want to increase my chances of getting accepted into a PT school as much as possible. Since class scheduling for me is in two weeks, my question is, would it be worth it to minor in Spanish just to have that second language background? Or would that be wasted effort?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't believe a minor in Spanish is going to make any difference on applications. As far as I have heard, the only "extra" classes they really look at are upper-level science classes.

However, a good knowledge of Spanish could come in real handy working PT in TX.

It would help you look more well-rounded and might differentiate you from other applicants; however, getting high grades and having PT related experiences will help your application much more than some spanish classes. Since you haven't started school yet, the best advice anyone can give you is get good grades and experience in PT . In my experience, having a high GPA has opened many doors (despite what many people will say about how grades aren't the most important thing).

I'm not sure if in applications it would matter a lot, but depending on where you're applying it may. I shadowed PTs in Chicago and saw a number of them that had to get translators to work with patients. There was one PT who got more work because she spoke spanish. As a volunteer I was able to help just by knowing the names of body parts and directions in spanish. I would love to know more so that when I'm working I won't need to rely on second-hand information being given to a patient