iPad for PT school - is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTstudent7

Reaction score
I am going to be attending PT school next year. I have been told from students in other graduate programs that an iPad is very useful in their studies. I am thinking about asking for an iPad and Apple Pencil for Christmas this year to help in my studies next year in PT school. Does anyone have any insight into the usefulness of an iPad in PT school? For coursework and studying? Please also let me know what apps are helpful and how I could best utilize an iPad. Thank you! I hope everyone is doing well.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly it is a matter of personal preference. Multi-tasking on an ipad is not nearly as great as it is with a proper laptop. I kept my laptop around for a lot of my work but when it came to note taking I preferred my ipad. In regards to what apps I use, I almost exclusively use notability. It allows me to hand write my notes (which helps me with retention) but be able to reference them and store them easily. If you don't have a functional lap top I would make that a priority (it really doesn't have to be anything fancy), if you already have a functional laptop then I personally would get the ipad. I did all my notes and textbooks (just used the amazon kindle app) on my ipad and make it one with a larger display if you can.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not in PT school (yet), but I have an iPad and I love it. It really helped my learning, especially in anatomy and other science-based classes. I love that you can import it to Google Drive (or whatever you use to store things), instead of just throwing papers into a folder or binder and maybe losing them. I find that I take better notes on the iPad, especially since you can write on PPT slides. I have an Apple pencil, and I like it but it is expensive. I haven't tried any other pencils/styluses/pens, so maybe try those if you aren't willing to pay for the real thing. I use the Good Notes app and I really like it; it is $8.99 (I think) and it is a one-time payment. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also wondering if I should invest in a tablet for PT school. Does anyone have an opinion on other brands? The Samsung Galaxy Tab is a cheaper option I was considering.

I used an iPad with the iPen thingie. Worked great for me but you'll need probably require sometime to figure out OneDrive (or whatever it is called).

I definitely recommend having an iPad in PT school. As a first year student, I use it almost every day. I keep all of my textbooks and lecture powerpoints on it, so I can study almost anywhere. It is useful to be able to write notes quickly on lab documents during class. I also like drawing diagrams and being able to easily erase or change colors is a big plus! I hate having a bunch of papers and books around, but if you like more traditional note taking, it may not be worth it for you. I love the Apple pencil, but you could probably get by with a cheaper bluetooth stylus for the same purposes.

Before making a decision, you should also definitely look into your program's specific requirements. At my program, we are required to take all exams using an app called Examplify. During anatomy practicals in the summer, it was much easier to navigate the tables quickly with an iPad compared to having to stop and type with laptop like some of my classmates had to do. While some of my classmates have other brands of tablets, I think you'll find that most of the required or recommended apps are specifically made for iPad and may not work as well on Android devices. I would look into buying a refurbished or used iPad Pro over spending money on a device that might not be compatible.

I definitely recommend having an iPad in PT school. As a first year student, I use it almost every day. I keep all of my textbooks and lecture powerpoints on it, so I can study almost anywhere. It is useful to be able to write notes quickly on lab documents during class. I also like drawing diagrams and being able to easily erase or change colors is a big plus! I hate having a bunch of papers and books around, but if you like more traditional note taking, it may not be worth it for you. I love the Apple pencil, but you could probably get by with a cheaper bluetooth stylus for the same purposes.

Before making a decision, you should also definitely look into your program's specific requirements. At my program, we are required to take all exams using an app called Examplify. During anatomy practicals in the summer, it was much easier to navigate the tables quickly with an iPad compared to having to stop and type with laptop like some of my classmates had to do. While some of my classmates have other brands of tablets, I think you'll find that most of the required or recommended apps are specifically made for iPad and may not work as well on Android devices. I would look into buying a refurbished or used iPad Pro over spending money on a device that might not be compatible.
What program are you in? Are you using Notability or Goodnotes