St Augustine DPT...Is it worth $39,000 per year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTBuckeye

Reaction score
Looking to advance my education with a DPT. As I look over the various schools, I see University of Miami and University of Florida at roughly $22,000/year. St Augustine is at $39,000/year. First two are ranked very high, and third is not. Can anyone who is a student or a graduate help me understand why the great difference and any input on the success of each program in passing the required certification tests to become a practicing PT.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Looking to advance my education with a DPT. As I look over the various schools, I see University of Miami and University of Florida at roughly $22,000/year. St Augustine is at $39,000/year. First two are ranked very high, and third is not. Can anyone who is a student or a graduate help me understand why the great difference and any input on the success of each program in passing the required certification tests to become a practicing PT.

Thank you.

Absolutely not worth it. Avoid private schools at all costs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the two above. I was offered acceptance into both a highly ranked, private program & in-state, public program. I'll be starting at the in state, public program next month where tuition will be significantly cheaper, about half the cost, for the same degree. In your case, the highly ranked programs are cheaper so that would make more sense if you meet the requirements for those programs. I'd say look into cheaper programs like public & in-state first if possible. At the end of the day, all programs have to teach the same material & ranking doesn't truly matter. What matters is the graduation/ NPTE pass rate so you can become a licensed PT & begin practicing. Lastly, don't forget that $39,000/ year is just the cost for the degree itself. It doesn't factor in cost of things like books, traveling to clinicals, housing, food, monthly bills, etc. Your degree would cost much more than $39,000 annually.

St Augustine is a for profit school that takes multiple cohorts at multiple locations a year. This lets they accept people with traditionally lower stats, who don't have many choices, and therefore can charge whatever they want. I cannot speak to the quality of the education or experience there, but they do successfully produce PTs. You can compare board pass rates and things like that, but most likely, if you start an accredited program, you will become a PT.

Thank you.
Each school sets up its own prices. State schools are cheaper than private and therefore more competitive. State schools also tend to accept 30-ish students a year whereas private schools accept more. For St Augustine, they accept 60-90 students 3 times a year.
As for programs quality, it is about the same since all the schools are accredited and must follow educational standards. You should have no problems with passing the boards and get your license after graduating from any of the accredited schools.

Reactions: 1 users
St Augustine is a for profit school that takes multiple cohorts at multiple locations a year. This lets they accept people with traditionally lower stats, who don't have many choices, and therefore can charge whatever they want. I cannot speak to the quality of the education or experience there, but they do successfully produce PTs. You can compare board pass rates and things like that, but most likely, if you start an accredited program, you will become a PT.
Thank you. Where might I find the "Board pass Rates" that you mention. That would be very useful information.

Note that that is the ultimate pass rate and might mean people took it a few times to pass, which you don't want! That means you aren't working for months! Schools should list their FIRST TIME pass rate, and if they don't, ask for it, on their websites. I'd say that and the % of the students that start the program and graduate on time are important metrics to know.