Worth Re-taking MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tp1127

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to complete my AMCAS and AAMCOS application by May 14th. My MCAT is a 506 and my gpa is a 3.69 and I am Asian. I only have 1 year of research that I did my freshman year. I have worked full time as a figure skating coach for 1 summer. I am currently working as a scribe. And I will only have 6 weeks of volunteering before I submit my application. I am only a sophomore but I am applying to medical schools this year because I am in a 3+4 BS/DO program. I am planning to take the MCAT on June 16 and have a goal to score a 516 to make up for my low gpa. But at this point I don't know if it is even worth it because by the time the schools receive my score, it will be late in the application cycle and my application overall doesn't seem very strong so I don't think I will get accepted into a medical school outside of the one that I am in the direct medical program for. Any advice on whether you think it is worth retaking the MCAT??

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where is your state of residence? A 3.69 GPA is not low. What is your sGPA?
My sGPA is 3.68 and my state of residence is Illinois but I'm doing my undergrad in Florida. Do you think it is too low for MD schools?

There is no hurry to apply this year. Work on increasing your GPA in the next year and add shadowing and more clinical volunteering hours.
Your stats are competitive for all DO schools so when you apply, apply to at least 10 and you should receive several interviews. For MD you could receive interviews at these schools:
Your state Illinois schools
Carle (if it opens for 2018)
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Western Michigan
Quinnipiac
Creighton
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple