Advice for Re-Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedfanatic101

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am in need of some guidance on my application and preparing for yet another re-application for this upcoming cycle. Here are some stats about me for reference:

GPA: 3.96, Starting off at a community college for 1 year, then transferred and finished at a T-20 public school in Cali in 2 years, so graduated at 21.
ORM in CA.
MCAT
: 508 (129/125/129/125) in 2021, then 506 (128/125/126/127) in 2022.
ECs: Research: 4 publications, 1 of which was done at a T-5 school where I volunteered for an entire summer full-time. Both Clinical and Lab Based works.
Clinical Experience: Worked as a Scribe freshmen year of college (300 hours), and I have been working as a scribe again at a different clinic for my gap year (about 700 hours so far). Also volunteered as a Physicist during COVID (200 hours).
Volunteer: I have volunteered at a variety of local orgs (Homeless Shelter, COVID-Clinic, Tobacco Non-Profit Intern and started a tutoring service for the SAT for underserved students- everything total is prob around 1500 hours, if not more.
Leadership: Tutoring Service, I held board positions in some clubs at school, and tutored several subjects.
Personal Statement: I thought it was pretty average. I would not say it was a weakness but definitely not anything very unique.
Shadowing: About 100 hours total of different specialties.

First Cycle: Applied with a 508 while a junior in college still, did not receive any interviews. Only applied to MD schools.
Second Cycle (Current): Retook the MCAT, and despite scoring higher on practice tests, score dropped to a 506. I applied to both MD and DO schools and got 2 interviews, 1 to my local DO school and 1 to a T-5 school that I was a strong mission fit for. I am waitlisted to my local DO school and got rejected to my only MD choice.

I do not have a plan of where to go from here. Currently, I know I have to retake the MCAT and do significantly better than my last 2 attempts. My concern is obviously that I already tried a retake and did my best, but my score did not move much. I plan on cutting back hours at work and testing late May. This cycle, I realized I also did not have any DO shadowing hours or letters of rec so I will work on that, probably a reason why I did not have much luck with the Do cycle either. I also am not sure what to do during a second gap year. Will continuing my scribing be helpful to my application? I would not be moving up in a leadership position, and it would be the same job continued. i will also continue working with my local non-profits, but I am genuinely confused on how to best help my chances for next cycle.

Thank you for any help/words of wisdom. I suppose the good news is that I am still only 22 and have a supportive family, but it is quite deflating to have to take the MCAT again, and I can not even bear thinking about having to prepare a re-app even though that is what it is looking like right now.

Members don't see this ad.

Which schools did you apply to ? If you reapply you should apply broadly to DO schools and include all these:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
CCOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
PCOM
CUSOM
LECOM

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe take an additional gap year and beef up that MCAT. Honestly your ECs look really good. Guessing you have been crazy busy with how many EC hours you have without having a gapyear.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP graduated so competitive scholarships like Rhodes are off the table. I think had you decided to go for AmeriCorps or Peace Corps, that could have gotten that extra plus for high power programs. But that second MCAT drop did not help you, and you should have applied to DO schools to avoid being a 3x applicant.

If you decide to try again, you have to score higher on the MCAT, at least 515+. Remember that MCAT scores can be averaged among all attempts for screening.

I don't know if more scribing will really help. I don't know your mission fit pitch. How did you do on PREview or Casper?

Reactions: 1 users
OP graduated so competitive scholarships like Rhodes are off the table. I think had you decided to go for AmeriCorps or Peace Corps, that could have gotten that extra plus for high power programs. But that second MCAT drop did not help you, and you should have applied to DO schools to avoid being a 3x applicant.

If you decide to try again, you have to score higher on the MCAT, at least 515+. Remember that MCAT scores can be averaged among all attempts for screening.

I don't know if more scribing will really help. I don't know your mission fit pitch. How did you do on PREview or Casper?
Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if I mentioned in my post, but I did apply to DO schools on this current cycle, have only gotten 1 II from my local DO school which is a waitlist for now. I scored 4th quartile on CASPER and did not take the PREview exam. I am not sure if I can score a 515+ having now taken the test twice, so that is why I am so hesitant about a third attempt. My mission fit pitch is helping underserved pops, and most of my activities are centered around that. The place I am currently scribing at is in a location where there are lots of underserved pops, so I suppose it fits still as I do not have any other alternative at this time

Agree with

Agree 100%. Would recommend a full or part-time Americorps position AND improving that MCAT score. Have you taken a virtual/in-person MCAT prep course (not a self study course?) I took an evening course while working full-time and improved my score considerably.