Worth pursuing a waitlist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nick_Nov

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Just to explain my current situation: I've been accepted to Penn State College of Medicine and have been waitlisted at Georgetown SOM. Apparently Georgetown waitlists many of its applicants post-interview, and suggests writing letters of interest in order to be pulled from the list. However, I'm at the point where I don't necessarily want to write numerous letters if it is not truly my top choice. My biggest fear with not pursuing Georgetown would be the possibility of not matching to a competitive residency because I chose PSU instead.

How important is med school prestige? I've heard mixed advice--go where you're comfortable, it's only important for competitive residencies, it does matter because your school is factored in to the match process, etc. Can anyone shed some light on this, please?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Just to explain my current situation: I've been accepted to Penn State College of Medicine and have been waitlisted at Georgetown SOM. Apparently Georgetown waitlists many of its applicants post-interview, and suggests writing letters of interest in order to be pulled from the list. However, I'm at the point where I don't necessarily want to write numerous letters if it is not truly my top choice. My biggest fear with not pursuing Georgetown would be the possibility of not matching to a competitive residency because I chose PSU instead.

How important is med school prestige? I've heard mixed advice--go where you're comfortable, it's only important for competitive residencies, it does matter because your school is factored in to the match process, etc. Can anyone shed some light on this, please?

I feel in a similar situation right now... but from what I've heard around here, Georgetown isn't really considered an amazing school or anything either (it seems like it's not like it's going to do you any favors like a Top 10). I would ask students/faculty around at PSU how their students fare in terms of pursuing competitive residencies and stuff. I did that with Loyola, and am feeling more and more confident/sure that I'm going to withdraw from the Gtown waitlist as a result.

Most schools have their match list available online. PSU has a good match lists with many matches to ortho, derm, etc. But it really comes down to how you do on your step exams and core clerkships. NYMC is known to be "lower tiered" (although its subjective) but actually has a good match list with a nice number of ortho matches. If you liked PSU and could imagine being happy there, then go for it

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think if you would be more happy at PSU you should go.