Worth it to try?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aay821

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am almost one year out of college and have been using that time to decide what I want to do with my life and I now know I want to be a podiatrist. Would it be too late to apply now and take the MCAT in May/June? I have a 3.3gpa overall and 3.2sci.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello All,

I am almost one year out of college and have been using that time to decide what I want to do with my life and I now know I want to be a podiatrist. Would it be too late to apply now and take the MCAT in May/June? I have a 3.3gpa overall and 3.2sci.

Thanks!
'

You could definitely try. Classes are def filling up though, for example, Barry had about 50 seat deposits for the class of 2013 as of 2 weeks ago. This is for a class of 65ish.

Go for it. Last year Barry was the first school to fill up so you will probably be put on the waitlist this time around. But if you do well on your MCAT and have a good resume then you could probably get into one of the schools.
Make sure this is what you really want to do though, because once you start there is no turning back.

Members don't see this ad :)
what made you choose podiatry? if you don't mind me asking

'

You could definitely try. Classes are def filling up though, for example, Barry had about 50 seat deposits for the class of 2013 as of 2 weeks ago. This is for a class of 65ish.

anybody else have any idea know how many seats are left in the other schools?

why call when you have SDN at your fingertips....besides its friday evening.

why call when you have SDN at your fingertips....besides its friday evening.

If you trust everything you see and hear on this site then you're dumb man. It's random people posting, not admissions counselors. You can just wait till monday then call up the schools yourself to get true, factual, and up to date info...it's really not that hard. Your choice pops

im not saying you must believe everything you read on this website...but it would help if people shared some sort of information so that the person asking has somewhat of an idea of what to expect when they do make the call. what else is the point of this website if people like you are simply going to shoo people away? all im saying is that if you dont have the answer to the questions people ask then just simply dont reply. if you do then share what you got. some people are just very stressed with everything that they need some support which they certainly dont get from posters like you.

im not saying you must believe everything you read on this website...but it would help if people shared some sort of information so that the person asking has somewhat of an idea of what to expect when they do make the call. what else is the point of this website if people like you are simply going to shoo people away? all im saying is that if you dont have the answer to the questions people ask then just simply dont reply. if you do then share what you got. some people are just very stressed with everything that they need some support which they certainly dont get from posters like you.

I think the point is, posters here do not work in admissions. They really have no idea how many seats are open unless it is second hand information. Any type of figure would be more speculation than fact. This type of question cannot be reliably answered by posters here. Do your self a favor and call up the school to get information from a reliable source. If you have some other type of question, feel free to ask and maybe people can answer that.

The most accurate information regarding class seats is better obtained through admissions via a phone call. Information from others may be mere speculation.

I think the point is, posters here do not work in admissions. They really have no idea how many seats are open unless it is second hand information. Any type of figure would be more speculation than fact. This type of question cannot be reliably answered by posters here. Do your self a favor and call up the school to get information from a reliable source. If you have some other type of question, feel free to ask and maybe people can answer that.

I agree!

i definately agree with what everyone is saying here.....but what Im saying is that maybe speculation is just what some people need to hold them down til monday when they can call the school and ask. Posters on here just dont need to be rude about it and should rather just not reply if theyre going to be rude.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally Posted by binh
anybody else have any idea know how many seats are left in the other schools?

Keep in mind that it is getting late into the acceptance cycle with priority consideration dates approaching. If you meet the standards you still stand a chance of getting in.I don't think that the number of seats left really matters, what matters most is you sending in your application and completing your file at your schools of interest before their deadlines reach.

Here's a link to the application deadlines:

I don't think that it's too late. Def call admissions though.

i definately agree with what everyone is saying here.....but what Im saying is that maybe speculation is just what some people need to hold them down til monday when they can call the school and ask. Posters on here just dont need to be rude about it and should rather just not reply if theyre going to be rude.

It's not being rude, I'm offering you sound advice. How are we as pre-pods supposed to know the numbers of seats available for each school? If you want to know the REAL numbers and the chance of being accepted for the class of 2013, call and ask the admissions people on Monday morning. It's less than 48 hours away, I think you'll be ok.

at the beginning of the thread you gave your input on how many deposits are sent to barry as of 2 weeks ago. Just like you, some other person might have the same or similar info for a different school. all the person asked for was an "idea" of how many seats are left not exact numbers.

theres a difference between giving sound advice and giving sound advice with a demeaning attitude.

Does anyone know which schools are more likely to accept late applicants?

Hello All,

Thanks!

It's not too late, even up until Day 1. If you are qualified by a school's standards and you interview well, you will either be accepted if there is a slot or put on an alternate list. In the latter case, it is not uncommon for accepted applicants to withdrawal at the last minute, and if you are next on the alternate list, you may get a call.

As for being qualified, you better do well on your MCAT (take it ASAP), and shadow some DPMs if you have not yet done that. It is important (for your sake) to know that being a DPM is definitely what you want, and schools (hopefully all) consider that as well.

prepodirfan, aay821, binh:

This is straight from a newsletter I received today from one of the pod programs...

NYCPM said:
.I'm not sure if my grades are good enough to get in. How can I find out?.

.If you are unsure about your overall GPA or certain grades, please contact the admissions office for a preliminary assessment of your transcript. We will ask you to fax or email your transcript (unofficial is fine) to our office, and then we will evaluate it for you. The results of this evaluation can help you determine whether you should apply immediately, whether anything is missing, and how to improve your grades..

Got it?

Forgot this...

NYCPM said:
.Is it too late to apply for September, 2009?.
.The admissions office is still accepting applications for September, 2009. We will continue accepting applications on a rolling basis until the end of June..

Thanks dtrack22. That bit of information from the school helps.

I asked similar questions to all the schools and waiting on their responses. Once I get it, I will post it. Good luck to all who are applying late.