Is this worth pursuing? Low MCAT diagnostic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LadyPod

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  1. That's not bad for going in cold. I went in cold when I had half my pre-req down and it was ~7. You can easily bring it up to the score you want. Just take a lot of practice tests and memorize the formulas.
  2. You must take it in Jan, the latest. I believe after that, the whole MCAT will change to the new one where there is psychology, sociology, more biochem, and other humanities.
  3. If you can and have the funds, take a Kaplan or Princeton review course. The Princeton review didn't help me that much but the books will definitely prepare you for the MCAT.
  4. Definitely have a study plan for the MCAT and be prepare to devote a majority of your time to this test. You still have 6 months, you can do it.
  5. Start registering for the MCAT now as it's getting full.
Best of luck!
-PrePodDoc

The only time a "cold" score matters is if you are silly enough to take the actual MCAT cold. Otherwise - do some prep. Get yourself some test questions with detailed explanations showing why the right answers are right and JUST AS IMPORTANT why the wrong answers are wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey man, since you want some advice on MCAT, I'll give it to you straight up.
I attended TPR's live course, read every chapters, did every practice tests, and studied up questions I don't know.
A month before I took the actual MCAT test, I did practice tests every other day (That includes TPR tests, and AAMC tests).
My AAMC practice test scores (I started from 3 and moved my way up to 11):
MCAT AAMC Test 11 13 6 10
MCAT AAMC Test 9 14 8 13
MCAT AAMC Test 8 13 6 14
MCAT AAMC Test 7 11 6 11
MCAT AAMC Test 5 12 6 13
MCAT AAMC Test 4 12 6 14
MCAT AAMC Test 3 13 8 10

I ended up getting a 29 on the test (7v, 12p, 10b)
What I'm trying to say is
1) If you can, don't go into the test cold, study hard!!!
2) Use AAMC when you're ready because it is a pretty good indicator of what you will score on the actual test.
3) If your goal is to increase by six points, your schedule should be
-2 verbal passage a day
-study up physics (make flash card and commit to memorizing formula)
-study up bio (make sure you know all the hormones and big picture, don't worry too much about small details.

I am a little frustrated at how low that score was, but I went in totally cold. Will it be possible to raise my score the 6-10 points needed for pod schools? I plan on taking a Jan test date so that gives me around 5-6 of studying. For a lot of the topics, I remembered what they were talking about, but couldn't remember the formula or reasoning. I didn't feel too clueless.

Absolutely you can raise it your score if you study. Don't take the exam unless you are ABSOLUTELY ready to take it again. Not sure why you took it without studying one bit..this is a career altering exam. I'd be surprised if your score didn't improve by 6+ points this next time around if you study. Retake and do well and you should get in, you've got a solid GPA!

This is an example of what the result will be like taking the mcat cold and not taking it seriously. I guess it's the downside of podiatry because a lot of people do not take things seriously as they should due to the requirements being so low. I wish gpa and mcat standards are higher for podiatry, but we all know this will not happen due to lower number of applicants. My question is why take it cold when you are not ready for it? You have the GPA to get in, but you just need to spend some time on the mcat preparation and get a solid score. I believe you can get a 25 easily, which is more than enough, if you study well for it. As others have mentioned, the mcat is changing and it's never easier.

-

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your advice. Just
To clear things up it was a practice exam and wanted to see how I would do before I started studying. I plan on taking a Jan MCAT. With 5/6
Months studying and a Kaplan prep class I believe I can do this.

Is applying in Jan/ Feb too late? I really can't take an MCAT earlier (like November) and feel comfortable with my prep.

Thanks!

At first, I thought you actually took the real exam cold, so my apology for assuming that. Now, apply early as possible or when the application process opens up in the fall. You can apply with pending MCAT scores and this ensures that the school receives your application (have it on file) and the required supplements (LORs, transcripts, etc.). Don't wait to apply as it can slow you down to getting interviews. You can get interview invites even without taking the MCAT, assuming you have everything in that's required, so that would be in your favor. This is dependent on the school and not every school invites interview without MCAT. I think the smaller schools like DMU and AZPOD need everything completed prior to interview. Someone can chime in on this. What I did was applied as soon as the application process opened up and took the MCAT in the spring. With the plan you have going, you'll do fine and will get in definitely. Best of luck.

I remember Western and Kent offered me interviews prior to receiving MCAT scores. I did have everything else in though.

Some schools are really particular though and won't invite you until everything's in (like LORs, scores, etc.).

Just remember that taking the MCAT in January or February means that you will be taking one of the first tests of the new format which includes Biochemistry, Physiology, and Psychology or Humanities.

Just remember that taking the MCAT in January or February means that you will be taking one of the first tests of the new format which includes Biochemistry, Physiology, and Psychology or Humanities.

I'm really curious to see how that is going to affect Pod school admissions.
It'll be crazy because I feel the first year or two will still be the regular Pod school kids.
But after that you'll see a much wider influx of "pre-med" students drifting over.