Worth applying for residency with only Step 1? (IMG)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RN1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can become ECFMG certified before the deadline but my Step 2 score will be low in that case. Another option is to apply next year with a higher score.

If I won't be able to be ECFMG certified by Feb 2012, is it worth applying for residency and hoping to get a position outside the match? Is there any benefit at all in applying without ECFMG certification past the deadline?

Is it possible to get interviews without being ECFMG certified and then taking Step 2 only if you feel that you have a high chance of matching?

Members don't see this ad.

i was in same boat last year. I decided to take an year off. Trust me its not bad. But you have to make sure you do a lot of good stuff in it. Get clinical (your country and US) experience, research experience (your country and US), publish, make contacts, give step 3 etc....

But would like to factor in few things in your case - every year it becomes competitive. next years seems even higher considering graduating breed of increased med school seats in US, proposed GME funding cuts etc etc. But also, chances of getting good number (and good) calls is bleak without step 2 score and ecfmg cert.

If I was you, I would take an year off, and work my a*s hard.

So its your decision. Hope it helps.

In general, I agree that you may benefit from taking a year off in this situation. With the following caveats:

1. If your Step 1 is great (240+), don't bother waiting. Take Step 2 ASAP and apply now. You'll likely get decent interviews and be in an OK position to match assuming you do decently on Step 2 and get ECFMG in time.

2. This is the last year for pre-matches...the 2012-13 Match will be "all-in." So if you're going to be a borderline candidate no matter what happens with Step 2, you might as well go for it this year and take the chance to get a pre-match. If you don't get (m)any interviews or pre-match offers, withdraw from the match before ROL time and it will be just as if you didn't apply (more or less) this year.

3. As cyneuron said, if you delay, make good use of your time. Do clinical and/or (preferably and) research work. And by clinical work, I don't mean go back to nursing (I'm assuming your prior occupation based on username here). I don't mean that you shouldn't make a little money on the side doing traveler or PRN float work...everybody needs to pay the bills...but you need to spend the bulk of your time making your app look better and getting good solid SubI/intern level clinical experience and, hopefully, your name on a paper or major presentation.

In general, I agree that you may benefit from taking a year off in this situation. With the following caveats:

1. If your Step 1 is great (240+), don't bother waiting. Take Step 2 ASAP and apply now. You'll likely get decent interviews and be in an OK position to match assuming you do decently on Step 2 and get ECFMG in time.

2. This is the last year for pre-matches...the 2012-13 Match will be "all-in."

Forgot about the pre-match going away. It may be big deal for few IMG's. So please also count it if you wish.

Regarding having higher Step 1 score and your case, I tend to disagree. I don't know if gutonc is an IMG or not, but from talking to many people till now and experiencing myself as IMG, I have this belief that for an IMG a complete application is what works. Higher score on Step 1 alone won't cover up for rest of stuff alone. But people may have different opinion. Some people say that even its not a good idea to not have ecfmg cert ready when you apply.

How does pre-matching work? Do they tell you in person at the interview or can you pre-match without being in the US?

How would I get clinical work in the US if I graduate my medical school since rotations can't be done anymore? Should I delay my graduation with one year and do more rotations in the US?

What are some good research opportunities in the US?

The friends I had that got prematches were taken aside during the interview at the end and offered a prematch there. They are pretty much always made by very IMG friendly institutions, check around and see which places accept a lot of IMGs. It's tough knowing if you want to accept a prematch on the spot, so there's no problem with at least saying give me 48 hours to consider it and I will contact you. If it's a place you'd be happy enough at I'd take it, because as an IMG you may not get a spot at a place you really want anyway.

You don't necessarily need step 2, and definately don't need ECFMG certification for residency application. I didn't have my ECFMG cert until a month before residency started and it didn't affect anything. One place asked when my step 2 score would come and wouldn't interview me before it came in, but most didn't care. They mostly want step 1 scores.

You don't necessarily need step 2, and definately don't need ECFMG certification for residency application. I didn't have my ECFMG cert until a month before residency started and it didn't affect anything. One place asked when my step 2 score would come and wouldn't interview me before it came in, but most didn't care. They mostly want step 1 scores.

Are you talking about AMG's ? Its clearly the case for AMG. More than half don't give Step 2 before December.

Many program list it clearly on website that ECFMG certification is a requirement for IMG's applying.

Are you talking about AMG's ? Its clearly the case for AMG. More than half don't give Step 2 before December.

Many program list it clearly on website that ECFMG certification is a requirement for IMG's applying.

You are confusing the act of simply taking and passing Step 2 with getting a good score on Step 2.

We are all well aware that ECFMG certification requires passing all of Step 2. And as such, all FMGs should take it. But as far as getting interviews goes, programs will primarily (although not exclusively) filter on Step 1 score.

My point to RN1 was that, if s/he has a good Step 1 score, just plow through, get a passing score on Step 2, apply now and move on with your life.

Also, you need to dial back the defensiveness right now or things are going to go poorly for you in the interview/match game.

Also, you need to dial back the defensiveness right now or things are going to go poorly for you in the interview/match game.

Really ? Didn't see that coming !!!

Relax man...

I am not trying to be defensive or offensive. Just trying to write my opinion. It may not align with your opinion though. But it doesn't mean I am wrong or you are right or vice-versa.

I am having almost exactly the same problem and am also looking for guidance concerning this matter. I have not applied for residency yet. My step 1 score is 234/99, CS passed, both on first attempt. I have not taken CK and don't know when I will be taking it, possibly towards the end of this year. I am a 2001 grad so every year that passes is against me .... should I just go ahead and apply with what I have? I appreciate any advice..thx

We are all well aware that ECFMG certification requires passing all of Step 2. And as such, all FMGs should take it. But as far as getting interviews goes, programs will primarily (although not exclusively) filter on Step 1 score.

Not just that. Issuance of ECFMG certification also requires verification of your medical education credential by ECFMG (in addition to Step 1, Step 2 CK and Step 2 CS done with results out) which sometime takes upto 2-3 months.

And filtering is definitely done on Step 1 Score ( reason being that more than half of US grads have done only Step 1 when they apply). But you have to think beyond it. Even after filtering there are 100's of applications left (from may be thousand initially). So I don't think that a PD, in today's hyper-competitive over-crowded USMLE game, is going to send an interview to an applicant with only Step 1 score (even when its GOOD, specially for an IMG), when he already has his list of interview slots spilling over with candidates (including IMG's) with complete profile and GOOD Step 1 score.

Good luck for your app. Just follow you heart after taking all the input.

Signing off now. Hope that senior fellows and mods here on forum will be better able to guide you.

Last edited: