Worst Residency Dating Stories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coastie

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Res/Res, Res/Nurse, Res/Attending, Res/Med Student, Res/RT.

You know you have them. Post away!

Members don't see this ad.

Let me bump this cause I know there is some juicy stuff out there.

This was in med school, so I don't know if it counts, but I'll start.

I was seeing this guy (non medical--he was an attorney) for a while during the beginning of my third year of medical school. I dated him for about two months and although we were't exactly ring shopping yet, we were more than just a once a week dinner date as well (he did refer to me as his "girlfriend" to his friends, etc.) For a combination of reasons, we ended up parting ways.

Flash forward about 30 weeks to my L&D rotation and who should I see in the hallway one afternoon but my ex, wearing not one but two "I'm the Daddy" pink bracelets. I asked what he was doing there, and he said he was "visiting some friends" but after I pointed out the bracelets he was wearing, he finally came clean that he and HIS WIFE (he told me he was divorced) had twins at 36 weeks after undergoing IVF. He tried to say that that was all done after we broke up (would that have made a difference??) but after I pulled out my OB ETC wheel and showed him the dates, he pretty much slumped off.

Didn't stop him from calling a few weeks later and asking me out again though. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

that was priceless.

This was in med school, so I don't know if it counts, but I'll start.

I was seeing this guy (non medical--he was an attorney) for a while during the beginning of my third year of medical school. I dated him for about two months and although we were't exactly ring shopping yet, we were more than just a once a week dinner date as well (he did refer to me as his "girlfriend" to his friends, etc.) For a combination of reasons, we ended up parting ways.

Flash forward about 30 weeks to my L&D rotation and who should I see in the hallway one afternoon but my ex, wearing not one but two "I'm the Daddy" pink bracelets. I asked what he was doing there, and he said he was "visiting some friends" but after I pointed out the bracelets he was wearing, he finally came clean that he and HIS WIFE (he told me he was divorced) had twins at 36 weeks after undergoing IVF. He tried to say that that was all done after we broke up (would that have made a difference??) but after I pulled out my OB ETC wheel and showed him the dates, he pretty much slumped off.

Didn't stop him from calling a few weeks later and asking me out again though. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

wow.. :lol:

Bitsy,
Unfortunately, I have involved myself with such shameless men b/4. Looking back on it all you can do is just laugh it off, but was there ever a gut feeling during those times with that loser that you felt something was wrong. I have to admit I just ignored my gut feeling since I had no obvious proof at the time. What a loser? Poor wifey huh?

This is a fairly graphic story - those who may be easily offended or grossed out should probably skip it. But, it is 100% true.

3rd yr. in med school on Gyn rotation I hooked up with one of the female Gyn residents (they were all babes in my hospital).

We hit it off, and within a week were lusting after each other. One night we were having sex at my place with her on top. For some reason, this chick really got me going. When I was about to finish I had her jump off. Little did I know that I would shoot a massive amount of semen into my own left eye!

The next several days on the rotation were interesting with me having to tell everyone I had pink eye - although my supervising resident knew the truth!

Yeah - I managed to ejaculate in my own eye - pretty wild huh? I should have married that chick.

What a loser? Poor wifey huh?

I agree - his poor wife - but, also, his poor kids! Growing up with that kind of sleazebag for a father.

What a creep.

I was seeing this guy (non medical--he was an attorney)

Oh. That explains so much. ;)

(I'm joking. Really, I am!)

So I gotta ask - what did you say and what did you end up doing when he called?

This is a fairly graphic story - those who may be easily offended or grossed out should probably skip it. But, it is 100% true.

3rd yr. in med school on Gyn rotation I hooked up with one of the female Gyn residents (they were all babes in my hospital).

We hit it off, and within a week were lusting after each other. One night we were having sex at my place with her on top. For some reason, this chick really got me going. When I was about to finish I had her jump off. Little did I know that I would shoot a massive amount of semen into my own left eye!

The next several days on the rotation were interesting with me having to tell everyone I had pink eye - although my supervising resident knew the truth!

Yeah - I managed to ejaculate in my own eye - pretty wild huh? I should have married that chick.

Dude you're definetly the "Stiffmeister"!!!
I can't figure out why anyone here hasn't answered to this guy!!
WE ROCK!! LET'S NEVER GROW UP!!! (i am serious, no sarcasm here) :D:D:D

Sorry, no residency dating story to contribute but I think this tale of dating woe from medical school might be a bit enlightening. A good friend of mine spent his summer between first and second year doing research at another university across the country, and while he was there he met another medical student also doing research. Sounded like things got hot and heavy pretty quick, but it ended on a sour note when he didn't want to commit since they attended medical schools on opposite coasts. About a week or two into our second year, my pal receives a fedex package from his summer fling, he opens it and discovers an eviscerated rabbit. Freaked out, he calls me to tell me what his "crazy-ass" ex sent him, and I was about to agree with his diagnosis re. her mental state until I remembered a certain something from our medical humanities course and shared that realization. After detailed examination of the bunny in the patho lab, we concluded the original intent of the message. Suffice to say, they were married by Christmas and changing diapers before taking Step 1.

Sorry, no residency dating story to contribute but I think this tale of dating woe from medical school might be a bit enlightening. A good friend of mine spent his summer between first and second year doing research at another university across the country, and while he was there he met another medical student also doing research. Sounded like things got hot and heavy pretty quick, but it ended on a sour note when he didn't want to commit since they attended medical schools on opposite coasts. About a week or two into our second year, my pal receives a fedex package from his summer fling, he opens it and discovers an eviscerated rabbit. Freaked out, he calls me to tell me what his "crazy-ass" ex sent him, and I was about to agree with his diagnosis re. her mental state until I remembered a certain something from our medical humanities course and shared that realization. After detailed examination of the bunny in the patho lab, we concluded the original intent of the message. Suffice to say, they were married by Christmas and changing diapers before taking Step 1.

So, what, they didn't have a CVS where they could buy pregnancy tests on her coast or what?

I'm too scared to post in this thread. You never know who's reading... :)

So, what, they didn't have a CVS where they could buy pregnancy tests on her coast or what?

seriously.....

that's gross, creepy, and nerdy all at the same time

WTFWIT's story really scared me...what a nutbag!!!

But I don't undestand that thing with the dead rabbit? How could a dead rabbit be a metaphore for pregnanacy?!? What the hell was that about???

WTFWIT's story really scared me...what a nutbag!!!

But I don't undestand that thing with the dead rabbit? How could a dead rabbit be a metaphore for pregnanacy?!? What the hell was that about???

Sounds like you are woefully undereducated about the history of pregnancy testing.

The phrase, "The rabbit died," came to be a euphemism for a positive pregnancy test in the late 1920 and early 1930s. If you injected the urine of a pregnant woman into a rabbit, there would be corpora hemorrhagica in the ovaries of the rabbit. These could not be seen with out killing the rabbit to inspect the ovaries, so invariably, every rabbit died, even if the woman wasn't pregnant (which meant that the euphemism was incorrect, as all rabbits died, even those injected with non-B HCG containing urine). Your grandmother would have been tested this way and depending on your mother's age, perhaps her as well.

There was even an MASH episode about this where they used a pet rabbit of Radar's to check and see if Hot Lips was pregnant; as I recall they actually operated on the bunny under anesthesia rather than kill the rabbit.

At any rate, a rather outmoded way of pregnancy testing.

Dude you're definetly the "Stiffmeister"!!!
I can't figure out why anyone here hasn't answered to this guy!!
WE ROCK!! LET'S NEVER GROW UP!!! (i am serious, no sarcasm here) :D:D:D

I don't get it; are you implying ejaculating in your own eye is a sign of immaturity? I thought it was just bad luck.

Sounds like you are woefully undereducated about the history of pregnancy testing.

The phrase, "The rabbit died," came to be a euphemism for a positive pregnancy test in the late 1920 and early 1930s. If you injected the urine of a pregnant woman into a rabbit, there would be corpora hemorrhagica in the ovaries of the rabbit. These could not be seen with out killing the rabbit to inspect the ovaries, so invariably, every rabbit died, even if the woman wasn't pregnant (which meant that the euphemism was incorrect, as all rabbits died, even those injected with non-B HCG containing urine). Your grandmother would have been tested this way and depending on your mother's age, perhaps her as well.

There was even an MASH episode about this where they used a pet rabbit of Radar's to check and see if Hot Lips was pregnant; as I recall they actually operated on the bunny under anesthesia rather than kill the rabbit.

At any rate, a rather outmoded way of pregnancy testing.

I didn't knew that

I don't get it; are you implying ejaculating in your own eye is a sign of immaturity? I thought it was just bad luck.

No no noooo...you got me wrong, it's not the fact of ejaculating in you own eye that proves immaturity, it's the way that guy expresses himself, perhaps you should read his message a few more times, pay attention to his expresions.

The lack of response to the first time I asked, has me even more curious.... so.... what did you say and what did you do when he called?

The lack of response to the first time I asked, has me even more curious.... so.... what did you say and what did you do when he called?

Oh, sorry for my silence. Yeah, so he spun the tune that "things just got away from him" and that he felt like he "owed" his wife these kids. But he also said he was not happy, still wanted out and that we shouldn't give up what we had. (WTF?!?!?)

I told him to hang up the phone and go home to his new family. And to remember when he looked at his new daughters that while their mother was going throught the stressful, emotional and painful process of IVF and a new pregnancy he was off dating another woman and lying about their very existance. Needless to say, he did not call again.

Honestly, I feel bad for all of them. :cry:

Oh, sorry for my silence. Yeah, so he spun the tune that "things just got away from him" and that he felt like he "owed" his wife these kids. But he also said he was not happy, still wanted out and that we shouldn't give up what we had. (WTF?!?!?)

I told him to hang up the phone and go home to his new family. And to remember when he looked at his new daughters that while their mother was going throught the stressful, emotional and painful process of IVF and a new pregnancy he was off dating another woman and lying about their very existance. Needless to say, he did not call again.

Honestly, I feel bad for all of them. :cry:

wow, creeps never fail to amaze me.....or make me sick to my stomach

I got one for you guys:

One of my 'friends' was doing a rotation at an unnamed hospital in the midwest. Her attending was flirting with her (he was only a few years older) and when she was on call told her to come to his office to 'discuss the patient' that she was supposed to present. Anyhow, in his office he told her how gorgeous her lips were and pulled down his pants! She told him "I don't do this without dinner at least" and left the office!

His package was tiny btw!

A true story!

OMG check this out! This happened just today. It's unbelievable. Truly ridiculous.

I'm on Ob/Gyn, and I was working with an R2 resident-tall, thin, youthful. She has a very stoic hyperintellectual personality; she sort of reminds me of the doctors on TV medical dramas. We were sitting down and reviewing a chart when she suddenly sits up straight, looks around quickly, turns to me, puts her hands on my shouders, and kisses me on the lips.

W. T. F.

It wasn't much of a kiss because it was only a split second and I didn't kiss her back. This occured in a wide open public area where patients/staff walk by all the time...but I don't think anyone saw us.

She lets go of me and stares me down poker-faced for a few seconds-as if to judge my reaction. I return a look of utter exasperation. A few other doctors walk in the room, and she turns abruptly back to the chart, and I am left staring into space like an idiot.

I can't really describe my state of mind during these events. I was so caught off guard that I was practically in a sleepy haze. I lost all ability to process information or otherwise carry out normal human function; it was social cataplexy.

She suddenly gets up, says "c'mon," and walks out of the room. I follow (don't ask why). We go see the patient whose chart we were reviewing. Things return to normal (sort of). We talk to the patient, I do a vaginal swab and put it on a slide. We take the slide to an enclosed room with a microscope. She asks me to take a look, and I do (clue cells galore). I tell her and step aside for her to see, but she looks deeply at me, pushes me up against an adjacent wall, and starts trying to make out with me. It was really creepy, anything but sexy or exciting. I immediately push her away and say [too loudly] "What the **** is going on?" She turns away, picks up the slide, and storms out.

I didn't see her the rest of the day (which was only a half hour because it was late in the day). I have no idea where she went. I have no idea why she kissed me. It really makes no sense. I'm average looking, not all that charming, and shorter than her. My only thought is that she must have horrible social skills and/or have some weird psych issues. I mean Seriously; wtf? What am I going to do if I see her tommorow? (probably won't as she won't be on outpatient)

I got one for you guys:

One of my 'friends' was doing a rotation at an unnamed hospital in the midwest. Her attending was flirting with her (he was only a few years older) and when she was on call told her to come to his office to 'discuss the patient' that she was supposed to present. Anyhow, in his office he told her how gorgeous her lips were and pulled down his pants! She told him "I don't do this without dinner at least" and left the office!

His package was tiny btw!

A true story!

PM me her information, please; I can afford to do one dinner.

wow lumbering, you have a really interesting situation there. why not just enjoy it? life is meant to be enjoyed.

We take the slide to an enclosed room with a microscope. She asks me to take a look, and I do (clue cells galore). I tell her and step aside for her to see, but she looks deeply at me, pushes me up against an adjacent wall, and starts trying to make out with me

Cause nothing says "romance" like BV!

wow lumbering, you have a really interesting situation there. why not just enjoy it? life is meant to be enjoyed.

* Because it sounds like he didn't find the resident and/or her approach very attractive.

* Because, if it goes sour before the rotation is over, she could easily tell the rotation director that "he made a move on me!" which would reflect poorly on lumbering's professionalism. This would translate to a bad grade and a (VERY big) red flag on his student file. It might even lead to "face time" with the dean of students.

In other words, don't even think about it.

Reactions: 1 user
* Because it sounds like he didn't find the resident and/or her approach very attractive.

* Because, if it goes sour before the rotation is over, she could easily tell the rotation director that "he made a move on me!" which would reflect poorly on lumbering's professionalism. This would translate to a bad grade and a (VERY big) red flag on his student file. It might even lead to "face time" with the dean of students.

In other words, don't even think about it.

Or think about it and make damn well sure it doesn't go sour? :D

That could be hard seeing how she's clearly CRAZY.
I'm guessing borderline.

That could be hard seeing how she's clearly CRAZY.
I'm guessing borderline.

Did you happen to stumble upon the thread where we decided that all women are crazy, especially the hot ones? Your statement pretty much goes without saying although this broad seems a bit more pathologic than the rest. :D

On that note, he might consider pre-empting that with a comment for her PD about her behavior. One would hate to think that she would shaft him with a poor evaluation for not responding to her clumsy advances, but its happened before. Once she does, it becomes a "he said, she said"...a private letter sent, only to be opened after the rotation is over, might not be a bad idea. I might send it to the med school dean/rotation supervisor who could then forward it on to the OB-Gyn PD if there were problems (or if the student wished to pursue it).

Cause nothing says "romance" like BV!

:laugh:

exactly what i was thinking!! must be something about the "fishy odor" that releases the pheromones.

seriously though, that is one wacky woman. i chalk it up to ob. those residents have to have the oddest personality types ever...

OMG check this out! This happened just today. It's unbelievable. Truly ridiculous.

I'm on Ob/Gyn, and I was working with an R2 resident-tall, thin, youthful. She has a very stoic hyperintellectual personality; she sort of reminds me of the doctors on TV medical dramas. We were sitting down and reviewing a chart when she suddenly sits up straight, looks around quickly, turns to me, puts her hands on my shouders, and kisses me on the lips.

W. T. F.

It wasn't much of a kiss because it was only a split second and I didn't kiss her back. This occured in a wide open public area where patients/staff walk by all the time...but I don't think anyone saw us.

She lets go of me and stares me down poker-faced for a few seconds-as if to judge my reaction. I return a look of utter exasperation. A few other doctors walk in the room, and she turns abruptly back to the chart, and I am left staring into space like an idiot.

I can't really describe my state of mind during these events. I was so caught off guard that I was practically in a sleepy haze. I lost all ability to process information or otherwise carry out normal human function; it was social cataplexy.

She suddenly gets up, says "c'mon," and walks out of the room. I follow (don't ask why). We go see the patient whose chart we were reviewing. Things return to normal (sort of). We talk to the patient, I do a vaginal swab and put it on a slide. We take the slide to an enclosed room with a microscope. She asks me to take a look, and I do (clue cells galore). I tell her and step aside for her to see, but she looks deeply at me, pushes me up against an adjacent wall, and starts trying to make out with me. It was really creepy, anything but sexy or exciting. I immediately push her away and say [too loudly] "What the **** is going on?" She turns away, picks up the slide, and storms out.

I didn't see her the rest of the day (which was only a half hour because it was late in the day). I have no idea where she went. I have no idea why she kissed me. It really makes no sense. I'm average looking, not all that charming, and shorter than her. My only thought is that she must have horrible social skills and/or have some weird psych issues. I mean Seriously; wtf? What am I going to do if I see her tommorow? (probably won't as she won't be on outpatient)

I think someone's been reading too many Penthouse Letters. I'm not saying you're lying, 'cause those OBs do get a little crazy, but the story has all the elements. Very little provocation on your part, public places, with a bonus ironic twist of the underlying STD providing the backdrop for your situation.

I applaud your story!

Sex is casual in hospitals. After I watched Gray Anatomy, it seems sex is a circle of somewhat casuality daily. Any private room to release your stress there?

Sex is casual in hospitals. After I watched Gray Anatomy, it seems sex is a circle of somewhat casuality daily. Any private room to release your stress there?

Grey's Anatomy is completely fake.

Having said that, there's been plenty of hanky-panky going on at our hospitals here.

I'm not going to give any details though.

All I can say is that call rooms are a blessing. :)

So what happened today between you and her?

The "well done sir" was intended to congratulate bertelman for calling me out on my bogus story.